Steve'S Guide To Land In Khao Kho

stevehaigh

for anyone interested, i just spent 2 days in Khao Kho, which doesn't exactly make me an expert but i did learn quite a lot about the place

first off, when i talk about buying land, yes, i know farangs can't buy land, duh!!!

the place everyone starts in khao kor highlands http://www.khaokorhighland.com/. ok views, crazy prices, 6500bath/sqwa for so so views which could beblocked in future, 10500 baht/sqwa for land on slope with better views that can't be blocked by future building. at those prices, you could buy sea view in Phuket!!!

however, kk highlands is one of the few places around that has chanoht. we did find some more land with chanoht behind BN farm for 1650 baht/sqwa which is about 650000 per ria for 2 rai plots. views are ok, about the same as kk highlands. PM me if you want contact info

but unfortunately, the best views and best deals are all on tor bor 5 and sor kor 1 land which cannot be transferred to a new owner. you can take over tax payments and if ever it was ungraded, presumably it will be upgraded in your (wife's) name, but its a bit of a risk. anyhow, lots of nice plots at 3 to 20+ rai for about 50-200,000/rai. we saw a place on a big sloping hill with awesome views here 16.672957,101.035838 for 1.5 mil for 20 rai and a nice little 3 rai plot for 380,000 baht here 16.6186,100.989404. but both tor bor 5. if interested but drive around and ask in local restaurant, resorts, etc. everyone know someone with and for sale.

the big attraction of the area, besides the mountain views, is the climate. its supposed to be much cooler and was quite cool when we were there, about 25 degrees. however, when the sun is out, i think its just as hot as anywhere else in the area, its just that it gets quite a lot of cloud and wind which helps keep it a bit cooler. however, i think that depends a lot where exactly you are. i think on the top of west facing slope at about 900m seem to get cooler wind when i was there, in the dips and valleys, you may as well be in Phetchabun valley.

the big negative for any one thinking of living there to get a nice view and good climate is the total and utter lack of anything to do. there are no farang restaurants or hangouts of any kind and barely any thai ones. and its a 40+ min drive to Lom Sak or Phatchabun town where there is at least a bit of night life, but that's quite a trip if you are driving back in the dark after a few beers. Kheam Son is nothing and so is Kho Kho village. Tung Samo has a couple of restaurants and minimart, but all very basic, even by Thai village standards. maybe there is some nightlife in the many resorts up and down 2106, i think if you got to know what was going on, you might find something.

the best views of all i think are on the north side of 12 and we did some some land for sale there, 3 rai NS3 for 1.5 mil/rai but under the giant high voltage power line.

there is a spectacular wat paa son geow, at 16.776607,101.040995. easily the best one i've ever see in thailand or anywhere, outshines doi suthep easily. go check it out.

also, while in the area, go towards lom khao and drive up Phu Hin Rongkla Nat Park at 16.893425,101.099042 at 1660m above sea level. that really is like Switzerland (khao kho really isn't).

i'll put some photos on google earth in the next few days

Edited by stevehaigh

It looks great, but why would anyone want to live in such a remote area. Buy a home near a city which meet your requirements for shopping, dining and night life. And then buy the land as the perfect getaway for the weekend, if you dont like the beach.

Phra Boromathat Chedi

Great pix! Put mine to shame ...... show-off! :lol:

I agree. It's a beautiful part of the country, although a long drive from my place via Phetch-city. No matter how hot down below, there is always a cool breeze up in the mountains.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I am no expert or even a resident, but having read Steve's rubbish post felt compelled to clear up a few things.

• the place everyone starts in khao kor highlands

Never been there. I have no clue where this notion came from but I can assure you it's not true for everyone.

• 10500 baht/sqwa for land on slope with better views that can't be blocked by future building. at those prices, you could buy sea view in Phuket!!!

They saw you coming. These prices are so way out of line from a recent topic about land prices in that area. Obviously, you got the special newbie price. Really it should have been predictable all along.

• the best views and best deals are all on tor bor 5 and sor kor 1 land

tor bor 5 is a farming area and that means all the trees get ripped down. So that means part of the year your view is muddy fields. And another part of the year is getting airborne pesticides and herbicides sprayed on the crops, and another part of the year black ashes when they burn everything. So that view is not as cut and dry as it may seem on one hour of one year.

• lots of nice plots at 3 to 20+ rai for about 50-200,000/rai

A more knowledgeable person can pay a fraction of that price.

• however, when the sun is out, i think its just as hot as anywhere else in the area

It's amazing you bothered to take a stab at having the weather all figured out after spending two days there because you got it all wrong. For every 100M of altitude, the temperature drops a certain amount even on sunny days. Look it up. That's just one tiny factor among many that makes the climate different. Ever notice all the lynchee farms up in Khao Kho but not in the rest of the province? It's the cooler weather.

• there are no farang restaurants or hangouts of any kind

And here you almost certainly drove right past a farang restaurant, deli, and hangout. But never mind, those don't exist so we are told.

• …and barely any thai ones

If you instead said "I barely
noticed
any thai ones" it might not sound so ridiculous.

• Phu Hin Rongkla Nat Park…really is like Switzerland (khao kho really isn't

Whatever dude. You could have as easily said Phu Hin is rubbish and that Mt Everest is the real little Switzerland. Sour grapes comes to mind. You went there, got stunned by newbie prices, so bag on the place. Khao Kho aint that great, but there are hundreds of farangs living there at least part time who have very different things to say about it.

Edited by cali

• 2 months later...

I am no expert or even a resident, but having read Steve's rubbish post felt compelled to clear up a few things.

wow, some people on Thai visa really have an attitude. i did premise my post by saying i'm not an expert on the area at all but since there was so little info on line, i though it was worth posting my initial thoughts then people could fill in or correct, but hopefully in a more constructive and less aggressive way.

anyhow, thanks for adding a bit more info.

i actually really like the area and i think Wat Pra Song Keow is the most spectacular Wat i've ever seen (16.782934,101.041038)