Just Curious!

I am not an English teacher nor do I have any desire to become one but I noticed online the other day that a so called university in the States will issue you a bachelors degree based on your life experience! they even have a website where your prospective employer can log onto and obtain a verification of your GPA. I wonder if Thai schools would accept this for employment reasons? Seems that for the pay English teachers are making they can't be very selective. Anybody know?

Seems like BS (not a bachelor of science) and just a scam but what is this University and who excepts them as giving a degree.

There are about 500 of these "diploma mills" all over the web, with more springing up every day. The problem is that they are either unaccredited or accredited by organizations which they have set up themselves. Not sure about Thailand, but I do know that both Japan and Taiwan check the UNESCO list of world universities, on which these entities certainly do not appear. Many of them have also received adverse publicity, particularly since the recent Congressional Hearings following the discovery that a senior member of the "Homeland Security" department had degrees from a diploma mill. Quite a few are listed on the State of Oregon Office of Degree Authorization website:

http://www.osac.state.or.us/oda/

Given the fact that Thai schools in general really only seem to require a white face and often couldn't care less about qualifications, you might get away with it for a while. However, any Western Director of Studies worth his salt (or even a half-switched-on Thai), can easily discover the worth of your “degree” simply by spending a few minutes on Google. Many of these websites vanish almost as quickly as they appear, so there is no guarantee that your “university” will still be around in a years’ time.

On my resume/CV, I not only list the university that conferred my actual BA, but I show the website so they can immediately link to it and see the campus, accreditation information, etc. Since my TEFL certificate was earned in Thailand, they know how to check that, but Text'n'Talk is already better known here than Guns'n'Roses.

If somebody like the original poster doesn't have a degree, doesn't want to teach, and then comes to Thailand anyway, to teach with a phony degree - isn't that deceptive in more than one way? Isn't it a personal disaster looking for a place to happen, such as in Nakhorn Nowhere or downtown Bangkok? He'd get one of the worst jobs in one of the worst schools, and burn out in the 'wintertime.'

I stood there for four hours yesterday, in supposedly air conditioned classrooms that averaged 30 degrees. One of the 22 teen-age students took pity on me, with sweat pouring down my brow, and gave me several Kleenex tissues. It wasn't easy, and I'm fairly well qualified and experienced now.

Don't come and don't teach, if you're totally unqualified and unmotivated. The educational system of Thailand will kick your figurative arse down the stairway.

Ah, yes. Another new topic initial post from someone with a low post count obsessed (though he has no interest in becoming a teacher) with the issue of fake and/or insufficient degrees. IF I were the cynical type, I might suspect that this topic had become the "troll flavour of the month" for heated and never-resolved discussions guaranteed to stir up ill feelings among posters with different feelings on a controversial issue. Good thing I'm not cynical.

"Steven"

You guys act like a bunch of blue haired old ladys! nothing to do except sit around all day and worry about other posters! To the best of my knowledge this board was designed to open conversation and ASK questions. Again I have no desire to teach and not looking at finding employment! maybe you didn't read that in the original post. Just simply asking a question that came to mind. This is one of the reasons I never really get involved with posting!

• 2 weeks later...
Ah, yes.  Another new topic initial post from someone with a low post count obsessed (though he has no interest in becoming a teacher) with the issue of fake and/or insufficient degrees.  IF I were the cynical type, I might suspect that this topic had become the "troll flavour of the month" for heated and never-resolved discussions guaranteed to stir up ill feelings among posters with different feelings on a controversial issue.  Good thing I'm not cynical.

"Steven"

Just what IS it about the perceived importance of the level of your "Post Count" here.

What would be something to be much more proud of would be the number of times your posting rights are suspended by treading on the toes of insecure "High Post Count" people. Apparently .. "Freedom of speech" is not a valid or accepted concept in this forum. (I'm at count 1 in that regard at the moment .. still have a way to go!)

And as I'm new here (grovelling on the ground with my low post count) can someone tell me what a "troll" is supposed to be? I know what a troll is in the fairy story sense but what is it's meaning in the school yard bitchy/ bullying sense as used here?

Thanks

:o

Edited by Gumleaf

You guys act like a bunch of blue haired old ladys! nothing to do except sit around all day and worry about other posters! To the best of my knowledge this board was designed to open conversation and ASK questions. Again I have no desire to teach and not looking at finding employment! maybe you didn't read that in the original post. Just simply asking a question that came to mind. This is one of the reasons I never really get involved with posting!

QUOTE(Ijustwannateach @ 2005-07-07 09:26:57

)

Well, then, don't get involved- especially as you don't have any desire to be a teacher or interest in teaching, you probably won't be missing anything you're interested in! tongue.gif

I have a desire to teach but I COMPLETELY agree with capco1 .. seems to be a lot of insecure people here terrified of thier "little patch" being invaded.

:o

Edited by Gumleaf

Thanks Gumleaf I appreciate the support! Seems some posters have a major problem with fairly new posters...why I'm not really sure. I find it unfortunate that other members have a need to belittle other posters simply because they ask a question. I've been a READER of this board for a few years but never really reply due to this reaction. Funny part is...I'm sure that I have more knowledge than the majority of the so called experts.