Warning: Postal Sub-Station Meechok Plaza

elektrified

After living across the street from Meechok Plaza for 2 years, I was surprised when I learned on this forum that there was a Post Office in there. One day I needed to post a couple of parcels and I went looking for it. Sure enough, hidden in a little kiosk tat sells womens shoes and handbags is a postal sub-station. The kiosk was run by a very attractive girl who during the entire transaction, had her mobile glued to her ear, engaged in a conversation.

I requested registered Airmail for both parcels; one to the USA and one to Poland. I paid, was given receipts and left. When I got to the car I looked at the receipts which were not the usual print out from the computer. They were hand-written little green slips of paper. I can't read much Thai but I didn't see anywhere on the forms that indicated Airmail, Registered Mail, Registered tracking numbers or an official postal stamp. I went back inside and confronted the girl about this. She was still on her mobile and seemed to be disturbed that I interrupted her conversation again. She set down the mobile for a moment and said that she had forgotten to write the registered numbers on the receipts and tick the little boxes indicating what services I had paid for. I looked over the counter and did see the Registered mail stickers on both packages - but no postage stickers... I asked her if she was going to put Airmail stickers on the packages to which she replied "kha, kha, kha", but never did. I asked her to stamp the receipts with the postal stamp but she said "mai mee".

Almost 40 days later, neither one of those packages has arrived. I went to the Post Office yesterday at Kamtieng to complain and see what could be done to track the packages. I was told to fill out a lengthy form which would be forwarded to the Airport in Bangkok and in about 60 days! they would tell me the status of the packages!

Edited by elektrified

The kiosk was run by a very attractive girl who during the entire transaction, had her mobile glued to her ear, engaged in a conversation.

Yes but... she was very attractive..! Did you get a phone number?

post-64232-083794700 1280368811_thumb.pn

Mail - Schmail, need to focus on the important things first.

I know I didn't move to this country for the excellent postal service.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

The kiosk was run by a very attractive girl who during the entire transaction, had her mobile glued to her ear, engaged in a conversation.

That is exactly what I was thinking! :lol:

Edited by Ulysses G.

No matter the country, I always make it a practice to watch the postal worker to make certain that the actual postage is affixed to the letter/package. I did some part-time seasonal work at in the U.S. Postal system and realized that even they have problems with workers stealing mail or pocketing money and disposing of the object to be mailed. It wasn't a wide-spread problem; the U.S. postal system has detectives whose entire job is to watch for these actions, but it still happened sometimes.

Also, I'm not too wild about these Thai postal substations where casual passers-by have access to the items in the outgoing mail. I always use a station that has the workers behind glass and controlled access to the outgoing mail.

No matter the country, I always make it a practice to watch the postal worker to make certain that the actual postage is affixed to the letter/package. I did some part-time seasonal work at in the U.S. Postal system and realized that even they have problems with workers stealing mail or pocketing money and disposing of the object to be mailed. It wasn't a wide-spread problem; the U.S. postal system has detectives whose entire job is to watch for these actions, but it still happened sometimes.

Also, I'm not too wild about these Thai postal substations where casual passers-by have access to the items in the outgoing mail. I always use a station that has the workers behind glass and controlled access to the outgoing mail.

cant say ive encountered any stations where the staff sit behind glass, the ones ive used have a large counter for postal and packing service.

Haha no that girl in the photo isn't the one who works at Meechok. But the point I was making without actually saying it was that I think the money was pocketed and the packages disposed of. They were important packages. I'm out money. I'll never go there again to post anything. NancyL hit the nail on the head.

Electrified quote:

"Almost 40 days later, neither one of those packages has arrived. I went to the Post Office yesterday at Kamtieng to complain and see what could be done to track the packages. I was told to fill out a lengthy form which would be forwarded to the Airport in Bangkok and in about 60 days! they would tell me the status of the packages!"

Do you know (or anyone else), what is the reimbursement process in Thailand for lost registered packages?

Is there such a thing and how do you prove what was in the package and its value?

I have had similar problems with this same sub post office. Letters not arriving, I suspected she was pocketing the cash. Don't use it anymore, safer to go up to Mae Jo main office.

You mention 'letters' so I expect cash went missing several times.

Were the packages registered and if so what was the final outcome?

Electrified quote:

"Almost 40 days later, neither one of those packages has arrived. I went to the Post Office yesterday at Kamtieng to complain and see what could be done to track the packages. I was told to fill out a lengthy form which would be forwarded to the Airport in Bangkok and in about 60 days! they would tell me the status of the packages!"

Do you know (or anyone else), what is the reimbursement process in Thailand for lost registered packages?

Is there such a thing and how do you prove what was in the package and its value?

They did not explain the process to me other than the 1st step of requesting an official investigation. But they said that registered Airmail "Letter" includes 2000 Baht liability. On the form it asks what the contents were, how many pcs., country of origin, value, etc.

You don't have to warn me. I would never thank of using an unofficial postal substation. I'll bet the OP wont be using them again.

Never again. But when I used to live near Kad Suan Kaew I used the sub-station there a couple of times and they provided an official stamped receipt, affixed the postage sticker, and I never had a problem.

Honestly, I felt uncomfortable about the Meechok operation from the moment I went there. I should have gone with my instinct and left.

Electrified quote:

You fill out a "Request For Inquiry" form. After about 2 months you will receive a note with the results of their investigation. If it was determined to be lost, you will be reimbursed up to 1600 baht? That is what the website now says. I think it used to be 1800 baht. I have been reimbursed several times. The value is based on what you write on the form, plus postage paid. No other proof of value was asked for.

Electrified quote:

You fill out a "Request For Inquiry" form. After about 2 months you will receive a note with the results of their investigation. If it was determined to be lost, you will be reimbursed up to 1600 baht? That is what the website now says. I think it used to be 1800 baht. I have been reimbursed several times. The value is based on what you write on the form, plus postage paid. No other proof of value was asked for.

You have had registered packages go missing several times? :o I thought Thai post had cleaned up its act.

I suppose the answer is, don't send more than you are prepared to lose.

Electrified quote:

You have had registered packages go missing several times? :o I thought Thai post had cleaned up its act.

In both instances, they went missing in the country of destination - the USA.

Electrified quote:

In both instances, they went missing in the country of destination - the USA.

So, is the reimbursement from Thai post or USA post?

If I had doubts about the postal worker as the OP, I would have insisted that the post office clerk stamp the parcels in front of me. Failing that I would have ordered the clerk to hand the parcels back to me and demanded she refunded my money, then gone elsewhere to post my parcels.

If the clerk would have not wanted to refund my money, I would have stood my ground caused a scene until either she returned my money or the boss came out to see me.

I have done this and works everytime, especially when I know I am in the right.

It`s a shame this has happened to you, as if we don`t have enough problems in life and hope you either get your parcels returned or better still they arrive at the destination.

Edited by Beetlejuice

I have had similar problems with this same sub post office. Letters not arriving, I suspected she was pocketing the cash. Don't use it anymore, safer to go up to Mae Jo main office.

You mention 'letters' so I expect cash went missing several times.

Were the packages registered and if so what was the final outcome?

No wouldn't dream of sending money in the post! I think maybe she took the money for the postage and simply didn't send the letters. She always seemed reluctant to give receipts and I never saw her put stamps or airmail stickers on the letters. Whatever, the letters on over 2 separate occasions didn't arrive. The Op's post seems to have confirmed what I suspected.

Not so very helpful info at this stage...but I believe the white slips are for International letters/packages, and the green ones are for local registered mail. Just a heads-up for others.

You are better off with the main post office near the railway station.Don,t use the sub postal services.They work on comission and you know what this mean in Thailand...........................

[/quote

i have been using the Post desk at Carrefore,since they demolished the sub Post office at Meechock Plaza.They do evrything in front of you and issue a receipt.

From the posts I assume the sub PO at Meechock Plaza has relocated?????

as long as nobody reports those problems, it will continue.

so the OP actually did the right thing, even some annoying paperwork was involved.

if everybody would do that, the "beautiful girl" would be kicked out sooner or later......

but one reason for me to stick to the main post offices indeed.....

I just recieved my packages I sent from Thailand to England before I left; about 2 and a half months it took them; I wonder if because of herbs and spices in there they held it back for extra testing at customs? I sent a blackberry phone from uk to Thai and it got through ok in under 2 weeks, same it other parcles going to Thailand , I wonder if Thailand is on a risk list for extra scrutiny or something?

I just recieved my packages I sent from Thailand to England before I left; about 2 and a half months it took them; I wonder if because of herbs and spices in there they held it back for extra testing at customs? I sent a blackberry phone from uk to Thai and it got through ok in under 2 weeks, same it other parcles going to Thailand , I wonder if Thailand is on a risk list for extra scrutiny or something?

Sounds like they were mistakenly sent by surface mail. I have had that happen before.