Human Traffickers Prey On Vulnerable In Thailand

webfact

The press could be a large part of the solution. But solving the problem does not sell news papers. The article contained this paragraph

"That's what happened to Bopha, a 40-year-old Cambodian woman who arranged a job in a fish ball factory in Thailand through a broker. After more than a month working from 6:00 am until at least midnight she still had not been paid.

"I cried every day but I had to hide it," she said."

It could have included the name of the factory and who sells there product. Just my opinion but articles with that kind of information would soon put a huge dent in that particular form of human trafficking.

One other point I thought it strange that the government has that information but does nothing with it. Corruption highly possible. However they might be gathering evidence against the perpetrators and publishing what they have and are doing would negate every thing they have accomplished. I say this because unlike many posters here in TV land I believe there are some honest politicians, police men and generals out there who really do care about there country and are trying to improve it.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its natural for people to follow their dreams of a better life. We all have. However wherever people can't travel independently with their own documents then it opens a door for exploitation. Even so only 10% of the 3 million migrants in Thailand used any agent to migrate and most found the broker fair and helpful (ILO 2009). Expolitation isn't just in the sex industry and actually most people trafficked in Thailand are men and boys into the fishing industry (ILO 2006). We know that much of the anti-trafficking hysteria is actually cause abolitionist movement dressed up in new fake clothes. The problems are inequality and abuses in the region, lack of access to independent travel and labor exploitation...the solution is not to abolish the sex industry, put sex workers in detention, criminalise customers, or deport migrants.

Hate to break it to you but the ones you say are doing it on their own free will probably are not. Look into any Bar-girls life and you will find sadness and despair. Every prostitute is some mans daughter or son.

Actually Empower Foundation has a membership of around 50,000 sex workers who chose sex work as the work that offers the best opportunities, the most freedom and fitted thier personality and skills best. Does every sex worker enjoy every working minute? Does a hair dresser? A factory worker? Does a nurse or a teacher? Does a Prime Minister? Every sex worker was some ones daughter or son and now are adults supporting themselves, their parents and Thailand's economy. There is sadness and despair in many lives, regardlees of what work you do, in sex work there is also pride and hope.

Human traffickers are the lowest of the low.

Stay vigilant and report people to the authorities.

In my experience thats a very dangerous suggestion. The fact that authorities are involved in trafficking is one of the reasons Thailand is on the list!

I hate human traffickers as much as I hate kiddy fiddlers. Once the perpetrators are caught they should be whipped with a cat 'o' nine tails and shoved into a windowless cell for 5 years and feed bread and water and allowed no human contact. If they die....to bad. And don't whine to me about a fair trial....cos their victims didn't get a fair go, why should they.

Well they should get a fair trail so they are sure the right people get locked up. But the minimum sentance should be at least 15 years.

But the main problem is that most of tes traficers can continue thier buissness because the police is to buisy with other things (collecting their tea money)

Thailand get rid of coruption in all classes and upper the life standerd of your citisance and these monstrosites will not happen so often

I would be interested in knowing what percentage of the prostitution trade is through human trafficking and what percentage a voluntarily chosen profession. Sometimes people outside of Thailand tend to group these workers into one category or group.

From my experience, it seems to depend on the venue and location of the business. In the western tourist sections where prostitution is overt, many of the sex workers seem to have willing chosen this job on their own volition. Usually precipitated by financial reasons: they need to support their children, families or education. Oftentimes they are introduced to the profession by a friend or a relative. These women seem to have a certain amount of freedom to chose who they go with, where they stay and how they spend their income. And sometimes they are hoping to meet the one person who will take them away from this form of livelihood.

On the other hand, there is the Thai prostitution scene where women don't have any freedom and are constricted by the madam, who normally takes most of the money that is transacted. How do these women get in this predicament and how much of this is going on, is difficult to calculate.

As far as justice is concerned; I knew of one bar in CM where a Thai woman from Sukothai went to her home town and rounded up about 6 or 7 of her teenage friends and brought them to CM, telling them they would be working in a restaurant. She and her farong boyfriend opened a bar and immediately dressed the girls up and put them out on the sidewalk. When we found out that they were all under 17, we called the police. The police came and fined the teenage girls a few hundred baht for selling sex under age. Justice in Thailand.

I think this may be rare in the western tourist venue, but how about where the Thai men go? And men from China? Anyone been to places like this? I think you will find things completely different. But then again this is only speculation from my point of view and hopefully not ethnic stereotyping.

They can state how much the money the sex industry generates, but where do they get the numbers? How do they know where this money is spent? And how much of this procured through the horrible act of human trafficking?

Thai society is based on taking advantage of the weak. This is just a mirror of the rich and powerful of a unjust social structure. It will not stop until Thailand transforms itself into a viable, democratic, uncorrupted country. Which is a long way coming.

Very well said, I have been seeing the same for 27 years here. I also see some of the same in Laos, Cambodia also only by way of second hand information from Burma I dont trust the media much.

Thai society is based on taking advantage of the weak. This is just a mirror of the rich and powerful of a unjust social structure. It will not stop until Thailand transforms itself into a viable, democratic, uncorrupted country. Which is a long way coming.

Why only mention the Thai society?

I have no idea where you come from, but where in the world the richt don't take advantage of the poor?

Even in, as you call it, viable, democratic, uncorrupted countries?

Where in the world can you find a just social structure?

Where in the world there is, in one way or another, no trade in human.

Even labour-agencies, if you look up the UN-rules, can be classified as dealing in human trade.

One step furthe you might call "hire and fire" a disguised form of human trafficking.

The point is, the rich using poor people to get even richer is something of all times and places.

You can agree with it, or not agree with it, it will not change.

Mind, I do not condone things, but I realise that I do not have any power to fight it.

And I most certainly do not like the idea the country where I live in seems not to do much about it.

That said, even in my home country and the surrounding countries there seem to be a livily trade in human beings.

Be it for the sex industry, or "slave" labour in sweatshops.

Kicking the Thai in the collective balls is not the way to success.

And thinking that a "real" democracy, whatever that may be, will stop human trafficking is living in a kind of LaLaLand.

Even in viable, democratic, uncorrupted countries the poor are used.

"Kicking the Thai in the collective balls is not the way to success."

Good post there, and in addition every other point of your post. I hate it whenever TV brings out another piece of news from "The Nation" and more than half of all the comments are so negatively such as, 'Thais are like this, like that, or the country is screwed up, no hope for this and that......, etc.' There are so many anti-'Thai as a whole' thoughts out there.

I think the standards of everything in this country has been improved and is constantly improving. It is not perfect here, nowhere is. It is good and bad mixed, however, with the majority of things around us fortunately on the good side.

I've been here for 22 yrs and traveled the world in my profession and dealt with people from various races. I think Thais in collective are a shy, honest and cute people, although a bit too slow for my standards. But then, if one keeps his or her eyes open to avoid the less than a few percents of bad people of the population, plus look at the good things around you, then there you have a land of smile.

This is a serious crime and one Thailand continues to ignore. It is now the 21st century so why is it we still have this situation? Equality is in the eye of the beholder - these guys should be incarcerated for life with no chance of parole. Send the message, this could be your daughter - your sister, your niece. But as the police and high ranking individuals are all on the take - it is too often ignored. Organisations such as SISHA help but in real terms, they lack funding and investigative skills. I would welcome any suggestions to assist and would be active in participation. Please advise as I have access to some well trained people who are totally against this type of abuse and will willingly take the risks (for a pay day of course) but well is their intent to put these people down. Open to suggestions.angry.gif

Clean up the government most have the finger in the pie that is why it is not enforced. To get rid of corruption and graft. Good luck on that one . Chances are one sees one meter of snow first here.

Actually Empower Foundation has a membership of around 50,000 sex workers who chose sex work as the work that offers the best opportunities, the most freedom and fitted thier personality and skills best. Does every sex worker enjoy every working minute? Does a hair dresser? A factory worker? Does a nurse or a teacher? Does a Prime Minister? Every sex worker was some ones daughter or son and now are adults supporting themselves, their parents and Thailand's economy. There is sadness and despair in many lives, regardlees of what work you do, in sex work there is also pride and hope.

Pride and Hope, hahahah the best joke I have heard in years. Tell yourself what you will to help you sleep at night. Most take up this trade after they have lost all hope and it's there only way of survival. Stop and ask yourself what if my son or daughter had to do this.

'Send the message, this could be your daughter - your sister, your niece.' quoted

and Padrino

too dam_n right, I've travelled all over the world, I've never seen tourists like those in Thailand,

these sex tourists are part of the cause, cut the cause and end the demand end the symptoms, these arsoles who believe prostitution is a vicitimless crime are so wrong,

Make an example of a few of these types and perhaps a certain amount of demand will dissapear

I have travelled all over the planet also. What "tourists" are you referring to? Have you been visiting gogo bars/areas and, if so,...why?

Yeah...Thailand should legalize and regulate prostitution like it is in Costa Rica, Germany, Netherlands, Phillipines, some Australian states, etc.

Human traffikers should be dealt with harshly.

Apparently some posters cannot read well and/or do not think logically. The majority of Human traffiking is not sex traffiking...it is labor traffiking.

I don't for a second believe the estimate of over 1,000,000 traffiked "slaves" in Asia.This is a gross over "estimate'. Where is the proof? There is no proof. How many people did it take to find and do a head count of the over 1,000,000 people held against their will at this very moment in LOS and Asia. It would probably take 250,000 investigators just to find all these people. Less than 100 Thai "slaves' were found in one year and some people throw out a figure of over 1,000,000 in Asia. Pure rubbish. Show me the proof. With that being said...there is a problem and it needs to be dealt with. Don't believe all the inflated and sensationalized "estimates" that cannot be backed up by proof or data.

Edited by MUYTHAI

Pride and Hope, hahahah the best joke I have heard in years. Tell yourself what you will to help you sleep at night. Most take up this trade after they have lost all hope and it's there only way of survival. Stop and ask yourself what if my son or daughter had to do this.

I suspect I would work two or three jobs in order to ensure that doesn't happen to my daughter. This as opposed to selling her off to a skin trader for a 5,000 bt advance (2000 of which will goes to my month whiskey needs, 1500 for a gambling debt, and 1000 for a night out at the local karaoke joint to bang my neighbor's daughter).

Edited by way2muchcoffee

Why only mention the Thai society?

I have no idea where you come from, but where in the world the richt don't take advantage of the poor?

Even in, as you call it, viable, democratic, uncorrupted countries?

Where in the world can you find a just social structure?

Where in the world there is, in one way or another, no trade in human.

Even labour-agencies, if you look up the UN-rules, can be classified as dealing in human trade.

One step furthe you might call "hire and fire" a disguised form of human trafficking.

The point is, the rich using poor people to get even richer is something of all times and places.

You can agree with it, or not agree with it, it will not change.

Mind, I do not condone things, but I realise that I do not have any power to fight it.

And I most certainly do not like the idea the country where I live in seems not to do much about it.

That said, even in my home country and the surrounding countries there seem to be a livily trade in human beings.

Be it for the sex industry, or "slave" labour in sweatshops.

Kicking the Thai in the collective balls is not the way to success.

And thinking that a "real" democracy, whatever that may be, will stop human trafficking is living in a kind of LaLaLand.

Even in viable, democratic, uncorrupted countries the poor are used.

"Kicking the Thai in the collective balls is not the way to success."

Good post there, and in addition every other point of your post. I hate it whenever TV brings out another piece of news from "The Nation" and more than half of all the comments are so negatively such as, 'Thais are like this, like that, or the country is screwed up, no hope for this and that......, etc.' There are so many anti-'Thai as a whole' thoughts out there.

I think the standards of everything in this country has been improved and is constantly improving. It is not perfect here, nowhere is. It is good and bad mixed, however, with the majority of things around us fortunately on the good side.

I've been here for 22 yrs and traveled the world in my profession and dealt with people from various races. I think Thais in collective are a shy, honest and cute people, although a bit too slow for my standards. But then, if one keeps his or her eyes open to avoid the less than a few percents of bad people of the population, plus look at the good things around you, then there you have a land of smile.

If you will note the Title of the original post it refers to Thailand, not Russia or Mexico-so the responses would naturally be about Thailand. I am not talking about Thai people in general. I am talking about a political system and corruption that is ingrained into a culture, that promotes and even partakes in these activities. Maybe Thai's do need to need to be "collectively kicked in the balls" It is in Thailand best interest to think intelligently and work for the betterment of all it citizens. Of course it happens worldwide-is that an excuse? The topic is Thailand.

The problem of human trafficking will always continue and no real efforts will be put into stopping the practice or rescuing the victims. That's because slave labour is beneficial for the big companies involved in the textile, food and manufacturing industries and economies of countries that are turning a blind eye. Those forced into the sex industry is just the tip of the iceberg.

The unwilling manual labourers are specially selected from poor economy countries, usually uneducated, unskilled and from backgrounds where society considers them of little worth, that the governments and big companies are taking full advantage of the situation, sometimes with the family`s blessings if the moneys right. So what chance do they have? Similar to the practices of the third Reich during the second world war that used forced labourers to boost the economy of Germany, make huge profits for the companies involved all on the backs of the slave workers. Mostly using people from eastern Europe and Jews, that was low on the list of priorities to the allies, because no one really cared enough.

It is the same today, there will be no cavalry coming to their rescue, not while there is money, power, huge profits to be made and the trade in human trafficking remains a lucrative business with virtually no enforced laws to punish those committing the crimes.

Edited by Beetlejuice

To say it's a Thai problem and crime is just to simplify matters, it happens all around the world, so greed and human exploations isn't confined to Thailand or Asia.

We have had and have serious problems in Sweden with human trafficking, women from Russia, Latvia, Estonia etc. are being deceived to go and work but ending up as sexual slaves.

Sometimes the police makes a raid and captures some of the criminals but as I see it, they don't do enough even in a "democratic and legislated" country as Sweden.

This must be handled by a global police network and it must be handled swiftly and seriously by all nations around the world.

The first thing we can do as individuals is never to use the services from these thugs. With no buyers, no market. Simpel as that.

Internet could be used, and probably is, as a track down service of companies and gangs abusing people in this way.

publishing names, companies and others benefitting from this trade would posses a serious threat to their income.

So far I haven't seen or been able to locate any site giving out this kind of information.

Hopefully they exist.

AND SO SAY ALL OF US - what do u think the reds are protesting about --- think this will happen - chart na don by by - or maybe on a sunday "in the next life" ---

when there is some sort of social order and equality for all that this country will start to see some sort of stability and equality but it sure is not now -

Then surely the red-shirts should have burned down a few sweat-shop factories, or brothels, instead of banks & shopping-centres ? :whistling:

'Send the message, this could be your daughter - your sister, your niece.' quoted

and Padrino

too dam_n right, I've travelled all over the world, I've never seen tourists like those in Thailand,

these sex tourists are part of the cause, cut the cause and end the demand end the symptoms, these arsoles who believe prostitution is a vicitimless crime are so wrong,

Make an example of a few of these types and perhaps a certain amount of demand will dissapear

Totally missing the point that foreign sex-tourists are only a few percent of Thai-prostitution, this is a Thai-on-Thai problem, and the police & politicians have very-dirty hands. :(

Edited by Ricardo

Its natural for people to follow their dreams of a better life. We all have. However wherever people can't travel independently with their own documents then it opens a door for exploitation. Even so only 10% of the 3 million migrants in Thailand used any agent to migrate and most found the broker fair and helpful (ILO 2009). Expolitation isn't just in the sex industry and actually most people trafficked in Thailand are men and boys into the fishing industry (ILO 2006). We know that much of the anti-trafficking hysteria is actually cause abolitionist movement dressed up in new fake clothes. The problems are inequality and abuses in the region, lack of access to independent travel and labor exploitation...the solution is not to abolish the sex industry, put sex workers in detention, criminalise customers, or deport migrants.

Two informative, rational posts, lost in how fuc_ked up Thailand rants.

TH

To say it's a Thai problem and crime is just to simplify matters, it happens all around the world, so greed and human exploations isn't confined to Thailand or Asia.

We have had and have serious problems in Sweden with human trafficking, women from Russia, Latvia, Estonia etc. are being deceived to go and work but ending up as sexual slaves.

Sometimes the police makes a raid and captures some of the criminals but as I see it, they don't do enough even in a "democratic and legislated" country as Sweden.

This must be handled by a global police network and it must be handled swiftly and seriously by all nations around the world.

The first thing we can do as individuals is never to use the services from these thugs. With no buyers, no market. Simpel as that.

Internet could be used, and probably is, as a track down service of companies and gangs abusing people in this way.

publishing names, companies and others benefitting from this trade would posses a serious threat to their income.

So far I haven't seen or been able to locate any site giving out this kind of information.

Hopefully they exist.

I understand your post, but Sweden's problem with this is hardly on the scale of Thailand, Burma, and Cambodia. I was using the topic to point out one of the root causes of the problem , which is ingrained corruption and looking the other way.

Everybody jumps on the band waggon as usual and misses the point - these girls and boys are being sold by their families for money - NO OTHER REASON never mind the false promise of a job - WHAT BULLSHIT!!!! the families are as much to blame as the people preying on the venerable - and if othere's think otherwise - make your stupid comments elsewhere!

Most of this is for money and a better life - and dont think officials and police are not involved!!!!!! - money talks!

Edited by rich54321

I mostly agree with the sentiments of many of the above posts - however, prostitution, apart from being one of the "oldest trades", fills a very necessary and important part in most societies both here and around the world, where many ladies prefer this as a job. Here in LOS, I believe the greater % of the workers are voluntary (I've 20 odd years of observation here) - to the extent that in a large Thai family, with many daughters (the sons get the first chance at school - deserve it or not) and not a lot of income, they do not have a lot of choice, a lot of the girls do choose the "sex trade" as they are either not educated enough to get a serious job to help support their families and in many cases are just too lazy to go fill shelves in a supermarket for a very small wage. Where I draw the line, is in those thousands of cases, where girls and boys, aged from 12 or 13 years are promised (sold by their mothers) a real job, be it waitressing, sewing, or whatever, both here and abroad in neighboring countries, only to find that the "job" never existed and they are then "forced by violence", parental pressure, family debt or other means(withholding of passport etc.) to work in the sex industry against their will. Thankfully here in LOS, a sex worker is not "ostracized or looked down on" as he or she would be, in one of our so called western democracies. Many girls here, especially the lower educated ones with limited options, choose the "sex trade" as a way of making good money quickly, to give themselves a chance at setting up a legitimate business, that can support a family at a later date and many of them do just that. I have personally talked to many "bar girl/prostitutes" in this regard (before I got married), asking them why such an attractive girl, who was obviously intelligent, was working the sex trade. In most cases, they told me (I do speak fluent Thai) that their family couldn't afford to put them through higher education, which may have stood them a better chance of gainful work. In the 20 or so years I have been out here, I have found many well run, prosperous businesses, owned and run, by former prostitutes. They do not suffer the stigma that they would, in many societies, as it is far more accepted that a lady did what she had to do, to get ahead. I now understand this, as well as completely agree with the thinking behind it, as one available option to poverty. Most of these girls do send money back to help support their family earnings. The majority of people here, just accept this, whether it be right or wrong. It is to be hoped that the majority of these sex workers, have some, if not a good knowledge of safety standards, allowing for less risk of sexually transmitted diseases and unwonted pregnacies. Where I tend to feel very violent, is when young, underage, poor, ignorant girls and boys, are promised the earth, then end up in "hel_l" with no way out. They give a person here and in many countries life in prison or death for selling drugs to a willing market, but whenever these traffickers are caught, they tend to get a smack on the wrist or a very "lite sentence"! This just does not sit right with me at all. The lives of many of these young people are ruined, also many contract HIV and die. I was once many years ago, shown a "cheapo brothel" in Chaingmai. It consited of dozens of small beds, where mostly young (12 to 15 year old), Burmese/hill-tribe girls, were chained to the beds and abused as the customer wished! I certainly felt no desire for sex after seeing and smelling that. I just felt sick and wondered how anyone who called himself a man, could enjoy himself in such conditions.When I expressed my feelings to the guy who took me there, he agreed, but I was told by management that if I didn't like it just leave, I would do well to keep my mouth shut.......the bouncers I saw that night, were all policemen. All the customers that I saw, were low income or poor Thais, along with a few obvious Thai Pedos. No Falangs there at that time. They asked me why I should care, these were just Burmese or "Galiang" (hill tribe) girls and boys. They just couldn't understand my attitude at all. After all said and done, these kids weren't human, right??? I believe this is still going on even today, despite the law and all the "do gooders". The money is just too good for the owners/operators and the bribes just too much to resist for the policeman earning 8 to 10 thou a month while trying to support his family and small wife on the side. Better to go arrest some guy selling a few "Ya Ba" pills and send him away for life.....right??

Edited by newtronbom

This is a serious crime and one Thailand continues to ignore. It is now the 21st century so why is it we still have this situation? Equality is in the eye of the beholder - these guys should be incarcerated for life with no chance of parole. Send the message, this could be your daughter - your sister, your niece. But as the police and high ranking individuals are all on the take - it is too often ignored. Organisations such as SISHA help but in real terms, they lack funding and investigative skills. I would welcome any suggestions to assist and would be active in participation. Please advise as I have access to some well trained people who are totally against this type of abuse and will willingly take the risks (for a pay day of course) but well is their intent to put these people down. Open to suggestions.angry.gif

It's a nice thought, really, but Money talks first in Thailand. As long as the Police accept bribes, they will continue to look the other way and even participate to pay for their Rolex watches and Mercedes Benz. It's pure greed, and selfishness in the land of smiles and unfortunately Thailand is a country with no morale compass, thus it will continue

Exactly! Right! Until the police take-down the 'moobaan witches', grill the names of their trafficking contacts out them.

Close the 'Thai Bordellos' that exist in many Thai cities for the gratification of Thai men (Including Police) of every level.

The trafficking will continue. Don't let's brush it off as Cambodian girls trafficked to Malaya, that is self delusion.

It's a nice thought, really, but Money talks first in Thailand. As long as the Police accept bribes, they will continue to look the other way and even participate to pay for their Rolex watches and Mercedes Benz. It's pure greed, and selfishness in the land of smiles and unfortunately Thailand is a country with no morale compass, thus it will continue

Exactly! Right! Until the police take-down the 'moobaan witches', grill the names of their trafficking contacts out them.

Close the 'Thai Bordellos' that exist in many Thai cities for the gratification of Thai men (Including Police) of every level.

The trafficking will continue. Don't let's brush it off as Cambodian girls trafficked to Malaya, that is self delusion.

Its is true, that no customers = no trade, but you have to change society first. It is the demands of the customers that creates this trade, along with that greed you pointed out. Very, very sick! I have to point out though, that all the many Thai people I know, feel the same way about this as I do. Please don't just blame the Thai people and Thailand. It goes way further than that and many "Westerners" are fueling this trade with their perverted desires!.

Edited by newtronbom

and Padrino

It's a nice dream

Tragically, human trafficking is not confined to Thailand & Third World. Watch Hollywood movie 'Taken'. It is the usual crash-bang-wallop fantasy, but based on filthy realities. Trafficking goes on in the West, under the noses of the police. It is heartbreaking that the victims are young women & children.

OK, we know arrested bar girls working w/out papers in any country will claim they were abducted & forced to work. Nevertheless, this basest form of slavery exists. Abroad, watch out for your loved ones very carefully. OGT