Tablets/Slates/Ipad Clones Are Exceptionally Cheap

filingaccount

I have been in contact with many suppliers about "iPad clones" (not an entirely accurate terms, but it will do).

Apparently they are available in LCD sizes of 7" up to 10.2".

Resolution: 800x480 or 800x600 for 7-8"screens. up to 1024x600 for larger screens.

CPU: 500+ Mhz VIA or Rockchip up to 1.6 Ghz Atom

RAM: 128 MB up to 2 GB

O/S: Android 1.5 to 2.1 or WinCE 6.0 (depending on device)

Connectivity: WiFi on most. 3G+WiFi on some

Storage: 0 to 4 GB built in

External storage: Memory card support up to 32 GB

USB slots: On some

Media playback: On the low CPU speed devices only 320x240 resolution video is possible, 1080p on the highest end ones.

Most 7-8" LCD devices with VIA or Rockchip CPU's are in the price range of around US$ 100-170 and the 10"LCD's with Atom CPU's cost as much as US$ 350.

The cheapest one is US$ 58, but only has 128 MB RAM, 7"LCD, a keyboard, runs WinCE 6.0.

I was thinking of importing 1 or 2 for personal use and testing. Is anyone else interested? The benefit would be reduced shipping costs. (To be absolutely clear, this is not a for profit thing, it's finding out if these have potential or not, and have some fun).

PM me if you are interested, and we'll co-ordinate a purchase.

I'd be quite interested in an Android based tablet of at least 1024x600 res and Atom CPU. No interest in 3G/GPRS connectivity, WiFi will be fine. Price under $500.

I think the biggest problem at this time is Android updates are coming out at a hard pace, Android 2.2 just released and Android 3.0 planned before the end of this year. Chinese no-name manufactures unfortunately seem to have a habit of ship-and-forget so you could quickly be stuck with an outdated OS.

Do you have links to the more interesting tablets you've looked at so far?

I have combined the ones I think are usable in terms of specs and price. (I removed all with WinCE, or with slow CPU's, smaller than 7"LCD's, or the ones very similar to the ones included, and over priced items)

I have been informed that shipping by DHL from China to Bangkok is about US$ 25 per item. I know that DHL charges 200 baht per package as a "handling fee", and normally they add on 5% import tax and 7% VAT.

MID price.xls

Thanks filingaccount for the spreadsheet, very nicely done!

Seems most of the high-end tablets are Windows based. The most interesting unit imo is the ZT-180 - 1024x600, 1GHz, Android 2.1 for $190. My only worry is still whether there will ever be an Android upgrade available for it.

Yes tominbkk, if it's Android it will have an onscreen keyboard just like Ipad.

Edited by Phil Conners

Thanks filingaccount for the spreadsheet, very nicely done!

Seems most of the high-end tablets are Windows based. The most interesting unit imo is the ZT-180 - 1024x600, 1GHz, Android 2.1 for $190. My only worry is still whether there will ever be an Android upgrade available for it.

Yes tominbkk, if it's Android it will have an onscreen keyboard just like Ipad.

I think the Nano CPU based ones use Windows because Android doesn't really need that kind of power.

I wouldn't count on that the Chinese made tablets would be upgradable. I'm fairly sure you can patch them with the latest update in the same version range (eg. 1.7.2 to 1.7.4), but perhaps not to another version entirely (eg. 2.1 to 2.2). I contacted the manufacturers and see if their products can be upgraded properly.

I agree that the ZT-180 is very tempting. I would probably go for that one or a 7" for ultra portability (limiting myself to ebooks, youtube and similar things). Or why not both...

My first Android phone was a HTC Tattoo with resistive touch screen. I must say I didn't notice too much difference going from that to the HTC Desire's capacitive touch screen. In fact, while you *could* use a stylus on the Tattoo, and this was sometimes handy when you wanted high precision, the capacitive touch screen on my Desire completely ignore stylus input.

After doing some more research, and getting recommendations from the manufacturers the 3 following are apparently the top ones in each size category.

7" M703

8" M808

10" M100

They also state that there is no possibility to upgrade (at least not easily) the O/S of the tablets, but they all do have Android marketplace access.

Yeah that was what I was suspecting. China no-name manufacturers traditionally do sell-and-forget.

Motorola is expected to come out with a 10" Android tablet in November. It will surely be more expensive but then again, they will surely provide updates so you don't end up with an non-upgradable brick after a couple of months.

Actually, I believe, Android 2.2 and newer requires updated (improved) specs.

I think the capabilities of the lowest end CPU's are not in line what these new iterations need.

This could be why we do not really see the VIA CPU's on Android 2.1 but instead Rockchip and ARM A<x> CPU's.

I'm interested and I got a quote from a manufacturer. I want something with HDMI out and full HD, and the only one I found with that exact spec is the M706A. Do you have the full spec for the M808?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm interested and I got a quote from a manufacturer. I want something with HDMI out and full HD, and the only one I found with that exact spec is the M706A. Do you have the full spec for the M808?

Thanks.

I ordered one running Android 2.1 for $169.17 including shipping. I just saw from the ems website that I'll have to pay import charges. I don't know what it will cost, but will post as soon as I know.

Edited by phil2

Ok. Got it today after paying 300 baht VAT. It's been great so far.

It has a Telechip 8902 CPU, 256 Ram, 4gb of internal memory, HDMI, and Addroid Market. I've downloaded and installed apps from the android market, and I'm watching a movie now from it connected to my LCD TV through the HDMI port. A bit slow to response, but that reminds me of my Samsung F490V. I think it's worth the money.

There is a shop in Tukcom (Pattaya) that has a couple of Chinese Android tablets now. From 6" to 10", from 7,000 to 10,000 baht. Third floor, north end. Shopkeeper didn't seem to know much (if anything) about them though. Other than it is nice to see some Android tablets on the shelves I wasn't too impressed.

Hi everyone.

I've been checking these out for a while now. Initially my intention was to use one as an e-book reader but then I started to check for extra features as well.

Price was the main consideration, hence the 7" Android arena was the only option. The biggest limitation is that the USB ports won't run external drives. Also, AFAIK, pre-version 2 Android OS can't handle Bluetooth - correct me if I'm wrong??

Anyway, I found this one with 256/2Gb plus decent battery plus an adaptor with 2 USB and 1 RJ45 port for $96 including postage. I will PM anyone interested the URL link, but the specs are below.

Hope this is of help!

Cheers

R

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CPU Type: VIA VT8505 ARM926 450MHz

Operating System: Google Android 1.7

LCD Size: 7" TFT LCD

Resolution: 800 x 480

Touch Screen: Full Size, High Sensitive Touch Operation

System Memory: Spec 256MB Memory

Storage Device Type: Nand Flash

Capacity: 2GB

Camera: Pixel 1.3Mega

Built-in Stereo speakers

Built-in Microphone

LAN: External Fast 10/100 Mbps Ethernet Adapter

WLAN: Built-in 802.11b/g WLAN

1 x TF Card Slot

I/O PORT

2 x USB2.0

1 x Headphone

Built in G-Sensor Gravity Inducer, Auto Horizontal Screen

AC Power Adaptor: 100V Input, 9V DC Output, 2A

Battery Pack: Built in 2400 mAh Batteries

Dimension: 19.9 x 12.8 x 0.8-1.4cm

Color: Silver

Languages: Arabic, Bulgarian, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Spanish, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Latvian , Lithuanian, Norwegian, Poland, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Slovakian, Slovenian, Swedish, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese, Chinese (Traditional), Chinese (Simplified)

Software: Fring, MSN, YouTube, Google Map, Document to go, Multimedia Player, Email, Es File Explore, Application Store(More than 25000 application)

Package Included:

1 x ePad

1 x AC Adapter

1 x USB Dock 2x USB ports and RJ45 Ethernet Connector

1 x User's Manual

1 x Packing Box

-------------------------

Edited by robsamui