Tourist Visa Uk

as far as i am aware this is what i need to get ready, to apply for a tourist visa for my GF to visit the UK

my passport photocopied ( and certified by myself ) including thai immigration pages

12 month bank statement - current and savings account

copies of emails

copies of msn chat log

photos - with date stamps ( family photo, engagement photo, hotel photo

flight and hotel details of last 3 trips to thailand ( copy of credit card statements - showing hotel payments and atm withdrawals in thailand

house in surin - rent book - with our names on

letter from me - stating length of trip, where we will be staying, who will be paying for trip, itinery ( what we will be doing ), our future

plans, why i am paying for trip, details of our relationship - where we met, say we are engaged

letter from letting gency, stating i own a number of houses, and have regular income

council tax bill, tax bill, house utility bill, photos of house,

what my girlfriend needs

letter from employer - evidence of employment, is employer happy to let her go on holiday

need to show trip is genuine and has reason to return to thai

girlfriends passport and ID

copy of 12 months bank statements - ( to show she has regular money going into account )

TB cerificate - girlfriend

passport photos x 2 - girlfriend

visa fee

questions pls

does this list look ok?

on the social and business visit docuements required list (( http://www.vfs-uk-th.com/images/VisitSocial.pdf )) - it says Completed VAF 1 what is this ????

where does she get the TB certificate from

have i covered everything

thanking you in advance

The list looks fine, just a few things, though.

You don't need copies of the e-mails; just the headers will do.

12 months bank statements are too many, 6 months are fine. I'd recommend pay slips too if you can, or last SA assessment if self employed.

TB certificate is not required for a visit.

VAF1 is the application form, VAF1A to VAF1K depending on the type of visit. VAF1A is for a general/social visit.

She can either complete the form online and then print it out, or complete a paper form. If completed online then she can make an appointment with the VAC to hand in her application and have her biometrics taken. If a paper form she will have to turn up and wait her turn. See How to Apply

One thing puzzles me. You say

Does this mean you live together in Thailand? If so, this would count as a family visit, not a social one and she needs to complete form VAF1B. See also Spouse/Partner of British Citizen (Based in Thailand) going to the UK for a visit (family visit) – Check List

One thing puzzles me. You say

Does this mean you live together in Thailand? If so, this would count as a family visit, not a social one and she needs to complete form VAF1B. See also Spouse/Partner of British Citizen (Based in Thailand) going to the UK for a visit (family visit) – Check List

Just a small point, you would need to prove that you have been living together for two years or more to apply for a visa for a family visit, if this is the case.

hi thanks for replies. so far i have seen my GF twice. once in april/may, when we stayed in hotels, and hotel appt, the last time was june july 2010 when we rented a house. this is where she lives now, and where i live when i visit her. the next time i will go over is october/novemeber, and i will be staying in the house again. each trip is about 6 weeks long.

i take it from the replies i can still apply for a tourist visa.

should i include the rent book with our names on? - wtih the application

should i mention we are living together in a rented house? if so, i will say for how long we have been sharing ( the total time will not add up to 2 years or more )

thanks in adbance

Provide evidence of return ticket back to Thailand.

Have her employer confirm dates of her holiday in her letter and provide a date that she is expected back at work.

Does she own anything in her own name in Thailand? Do her family and are they particularly liquid? Some documents showing what her family do would also help build a solid picture that her life is in Thailand.

As you pointed out, the intention test still stands for Tourist Visa applications and this is where most applicants fall down.

Provide evidence of return ticket back to Thailand.

Have her employer confirm dates of her holiday in her letter and provide a date that she is expected back at work.

Does she own anything in her own name in Thailand? Do her family and are they particularly liquid? Some documents showing what her family do would also help build a solid picture that her life is in Thailand.

As you pointed out, the intention test still stands for Tourist Visa applications and this is where most applicants fall down.

she doesnt own anything in thailand, apart from some land, which is pretty much worthless. her parents are still together, but do not work. she will be applying in january, some time, ( a long way off still ), for a 3 or 4 week trip to the uk in april 2011. do i need to buy tickets for her trip in april before her visa is accepetd? - you said provide evidence of return ticket.

The official advice from the embassy and UKBA is to not purchase tickets until after the visa has been issued.

I would include the rent book, as it shows a commitment to the relationship by you both.

As you do not actually live together, then it is a general visit visa she wants, using form VAF1A.

She is employed, and this provides a reason for her to return.

In your sponsor's letter, briefly outline the history of your relationship, your plans for the future and the reason for the visit at this time. Many couples in your position have been successful when the Thai partner had no concrete reason to return simply because they have shown that their relationship is genuine, and so the reason for the visit is genuine, and that they would not want to put any future settlement in the UK at risk by overstaying a visit.

The official advice from the embassy and UKBA is to not purchase tickets until after the visa has been issued.

I would include the rent book, as it shows a commitment to the relationship by you both.

As you do not actually live together, then it is a general visit visa she wants, using form VAF1A.

She is employed, and this provides a reason for her to return.

In your sponsor's letter, briefly outline the history of your relationship, your plans for the future and the reason for the visit at this time. Many couples in your position have been successful when the Thai partner had no concrete reason to return simply because they have shown that their relationship is genuine, and so the reason for the visit is genuine, and that they would not want to put any future settlement in the UK at risk by overstaying a visit.

Provide evidence of, is actually what I said. This does not imply purchase.

You can make a reservation for a return ticket and submit this. In Thailand I know this can be done free of charge.

You can make a reservation for a return ticket and submit this. In Thailand I know this can be done free of charge.

And the ECO's know this as well.

I personally would just provide details of your proposed itinerary rather than making a ghost booking which you know, and the ECO will have a good idea, will not be taken up.

And the ECO's know this as well.

I personally would just provide details of your proposed itinerary rather than making a ghost booking which you know, and the ECO will have a good idea, will not be taken up.

Why would the booking not be taken up?

Given you have to satisfy the ECO on the balance of probabilities, it is best to submit more documents than less. Given the intention test is so subjective - and can vary from ECO to ECO - best to make it hard to refuse an application by providing lots of supporting documents. I've seen many refusal documents where supporting documentation has been lacking.

Each to their own and no worries if you're happy to run the risk of burning the application fee.

Edited by bangkockney

I am fully aware of the burden of proof required by an applicant and whilst I agree that supplying relevant supporting will assist an ECO in making a decision on whether to grant Entry Clearance, the documents have to be meaningful.

In my opinion getting a free print out of a possible flight would no more to prove to an ECO that, on the balance of probabilities, the applicant would return home at the end of the trip any more than a itinerary or an actual ticket.

But as you rightly say, "to each his own".

I agree with the OG, an unpaid for reservation will mean nothing to the ECO; it is no proof of return as it could easily be canceled. Even if one had an actual, paid for return ticket it would carry little weight and would not stop an ECO from refusing if one had no other reason to return, or failed to satisfy one of the other criteria.

I have been involved directly in several visit applications and am aware of many more through forums such as this; I have never heard of anyone being refused because they did not have such a reservation.

However, if you feel the need, go for it.

I agree with the OG, an unpaid for reservation will mean nothing to the ECO; it is no proof of return as it could easily be canceled. Even if one had an actual, paid for return ticket it would carry little weight and would not stop an ECO from refusing if one had no other reason to return, or failed to satisfy one of the other criteria.

I have been involved directly in several visit applications and am aware of many more through forums such as this; I have never heard of anyone being refused because they did not have such a reservation.

Using exactly the same argument you've constructed, a letter from her employer alone is not enough to show intent to return. She could simply leave her job once in the UK - many people simply leave work one day never to return, even in their own countries.

She should submit details of all assets held in Thailand (savings, land, property etc) regardless of value. I would also suggest documents that show she has significant family ties in Thailand too: details of family business, assets etc.

True, no return flight is not reason for refusal by itself, but I stand by my previous remark that one should make it as hard as possible for an ECO to refuse an application through weight of supporting documentation.

Using exactly the same argument you've constructed, a letter from her employer alone is not enough to show intent to return. She could simply leave her job once in the UK - many people simply leave work one day never to return, even in their own countries.

She should submit details of all assets held in Thailand (savings, land, property etc) regardless of value. I would also suggest documents that show she has significant family ties in Thailand too: details of family business, assets etc.

True, no return flight is not reason for refusal by itself, but I stand by my previous remark that one should make it as hard as possible for an ECO to refuse an application through weight of supporting documentation.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My wife had nothing when I applied for a settlement visa, she had about 3500baht in the bank , no land and no job, but she had 2 bankbooks that was showing deposits that had been put in by the firm/ company she had worked for. She is from a poor background so had to use the money , she could not save because she had to eat and live. I got a visit /holiday visa the first time we applied , She went home before the date on her visa, 2 days before her 6 moths visa expired, I went back to Thailand 6 months later and got married,We submitted a settlement visa and that got granted first time, I did not use a visa agent, it can be done . don't get diss heartened just do your resurch , best of luck

Edited by Thongkorn

Obviously the stronger an application, the better.

Also, obviously, any document provided in support of an application could be false and ECOs do check.

However, I believe that a ticket reservation is a worthless piece of paper; you don't. It is up to those reading this to decide whether to obtain one.