Thais Scoop Up 45 Prizes In Korean Math Contest

webfact

Thais scoop up 45 prizes in Korean math contest

By The Nation

gallery_327_1086_3637.jpg

Thai students won 45 prizes - 10 gold medals, 11 silver medals, 19 bronze medals, four consolation medals, and a first runnerup trophy - for the overall score in the International Mathematics Competition 2010 (IMC), held in South Korea from July 25, Education Minister Chinnavorn Boonyakiat said yesterday.

The Office of Basic Education Commission (Obec) sent 32 student in eight teams (16 primary students and 16 lower secondary students) to attend the IMC and they brought home a total of 45 prizes, said Chinnavorn. He congratulated the students for winning and bringing fame to Thailand. Thai students also won the first runnerup trophy for overall score.

In the contest were 272 primary level students from 17 countries, while 340 students from 26 countries competed in the lower secondary level contest, he said.

The latest results:

In the primary level's individual category, Chulalongkorn University Demonstration Elementary School student Krit Boonyasiriseth won the gold medal.

Seven silver medallists were: Rannicha Saengsiriwuth from Anuban Ratchaburi School; Chawinthorn Siripipatworakhun from Anuban Nakhon Ratchasima; Passapol Urankul from Anuban Sakhon Nakhon; Supanat Meesawat from Bangkok's Yooyen Wittaya School; Saruth Komonkitiwattana from Assumption Elementary; Thanakorn Lertnithat from Anuban Chaiyaphum; and Chavarat Khamveera from Anuban Uttaradit School.

Six bronze medallists were: Srinakharinwirot University's Prasarnmit Demonstration School (Elementary) students Chetpongpat Buranasilpa and Passapong Pincharoen; Prayaprasertsuntrasai School student Athiwat Thoopthong; Rajavinit School student Suratsada Kirawittaya; Anuban Ubon Ratchathani student Juthamas Charoenkwan; and Kasetsart University Laboratory School student Thanapat Prakairungthong.

For the lower secondary level's individual category, five gold medallists were: Srinakharinwirot University's Prasarnmit Demonstration School students Jirawat Anantarojwong, Weerachai Neeranartwong and Paveen Pitimanaaree; Chulalongkorn University Demonstration School student Kittakorn Kantikul; and Songkhla's Saengthong Wittaya School student Kornwat Preuksanusak.

The two silver medallists were Samsen Wittayalai School student Natchanon Suaysom and Bangkok Christian College student Thanat Komonsiripakdee. Seven bronze medallists were Woramon Yomchinda, Athikan Somapa and Piriyakorn Piriyathamwong from Srinakharinwirot University's Patumwan Demonstration School, Supasuta Wongdama from Satriwithaya School; Theerawat Limlangkarn from Chiang Mai's Mongfort Wittayalai School; Peerasit Saelim from Songkhla's Hat Yai Wittayalai School; and Samsen Wittayalai School student Thanakorn Euboonsong.

Chinnavorn said Obec would send Thai students to compete in two competitions in late August - the International Olympiad on Math and Science in Indonesia, and the Asian Mathematical Olympiad (lower secondary) in Taiwan.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-07-30

Very good, but the standard of English has fallen in Thailand. Those subjects will help you get a good job, but to get an impressive job English is still a basic requirement.

Also look at the list of schools they go to, did you see Horwang or other smaller schools, I doubt it, highly professional teachers drilling the students in the subjects.

Absenteeism is the thing the Thais need to work on, from the kids on the street not attending schools, to the lazy University students who do not turn up cause it has been raining or there was a freshy party.

Very good, but the standard of English has fallen in Thailand. Those subjects will help you get a good job, but to get an impressive job English is still a basic requirement.

Also look at the list of schools they go to, did you see Horwang or other smaller schools, I doubt it, highly professional teachers drilling the students in the subjects.

Absenteeism is the thing the Thais need to work on, from the kids on the street not attending schools, to the lazy University students who do not turn up cause it has been raining or there was a freshy party.

You remind me of the guy who complained because they were going to hang him with a new rope.

Great job kids. Keep up the good work. You are the future. On a side note you don't have to know how to speak English. The only reason Eisenstein did was because he moved to a English speaking country and took up a Job as a professor in a English speaking College. Or for the nit picker University.

Is the whole school system great? hel_l no, but that does not take away from the fact of what THESE Thai students achieved.

Very good, but the standard of English has fallen in Thailand. Those subjects will help you get a good job, but to get an impressive job English is still a basic requirement. Also look at the list of schools they go to, did you see Horwang or other smaller schools, I doubt it, highly professional teachers drilling the students in the subjects. Absenteeism is the thing the Thais need to work on, from the kids on the street not attending schools, to the lazy University students who do not turn up cause it has been raining or there was a freshy party.

Just ignore beano2274, she is actually Piengrudee I think.

Jeeeeez. You are a bit of a plonker.

i dont wish to look racist by any means, however i see far more (thai)chinese on this picture than actual thais.

In fact there are only one or two of them there... the girls are hot though. just like all thai-chinese girls.

*made edit to remove 'thai bashing'

Edited by psyclonB

Congratulations to the Kids! I hope this is one of their many success in their studies and their life.

However, I hardly believe such competitions can give any reliable idea of the overall level of education in a country.

Results mostly depend on how much energy and support are involved in preparing these competitions, not on how much effort is put in the whole education system.

Edited by jybkk

i dont wish to look racist by any means, however i see far more (thai)chinese on this picture than actual thais.

In fact there are only one or two of them there... the girls are hot though. just like all thai-chinese girls.

Am I the only one that think this comment is so wrong in so many ways ?

"the girls are hot though."

how old are they 10-11 years old, they look very young to me....disturbing

Edited by mads

Am I the only one that think this comment is so wrong in so many ways ?

"the girls are hot though."

how old are they 10-11 years old, they look very young to me....disturbing

Yes, totally out of order, as are the comments on Thai-Chinese - they are all Thai, irrespective of their ancestry.

Anyway, it must have been a fix - we all know, from various regular contributors to Thai Visa, that all Thais are stupid, cannot think, cannot compare to we westerners, etc.

Congratulations to the kids - now if only the authorities would make a genuine effort to improve the education for all!

Elwood

Unbelievable

The kids did a great job and deserve recognition for it.

Yet people take there success as a base to launch there opinion on other things. Can you people just congratulate the kids for a job well done and forget where there ancestors came from 200 years ago and your opinions true or false on other things.

Once again great job kids.