Thai Policemen Arrested For Alleged Bribery

webfact

Policemen Arrested for Alleged Bribery

gallery_327_1086_12485.jpg

NONTHABURI: -- Two police officers in Nonthaburi province and one man have been arrested for an alleged bribery.

Two squad leaders at Bangkruay Police Station, Police Sergeant Major Prasert Kaodee and Police Sergeant Major Chalit Wetprasit, and Ponlawat Taisakultip have been arrested in connection with an alleged bribery charge. All deny the accusation against them.

The trio arrested nine men and seized several items on July 28, in relation to a robbery at the Lotus hypermarket in the Prawes area of Bangkok and allegedly demanded 200,000-baht in cash in return for not arresting the nine suspects.

After negotiation, the amount was apparently reduced to 50,000 baht, and the two sides agreed to meet for a money exchange at a shopping center.

However, a relative of one of the nine men reported the issue to the Nang Lerng Police Station, and the three people were arrested.

The police sergeant majors claimed they asked for the money in a bid to conduct a sting operation, aiming to catch the leader of the gang, as they have kept a close watch on the leader for a long time.

One of the nine robbery suspects said the robbery charge is groundless and the seized items were just for their personal business in a market in Bangkok. He added that two of the police gang managed to flee and avoid arrest.

Inquiry officials said they currently do not believe either side and will continue to probe the matter.

They said they have accused the two police sergeant majors of extortion by means of weapons and detainment.

Meanwhile, the civilian has been indicted for participating in the extortion and detainment.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2010-07-30

footer_n.gif

• Like 1

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There should be financial rewards for members of the public who can provide information about corrupt officials and automatic jail sentences of no less than two years plus prohibition on further being employed as a government official for life. The whole transfer to a less active position makes a mockery of any attempt to stamp out corruption.

Hallelujah

And Hossanah, at least this may slow down and few hits like this

' if the Bib aren't sure if they get stung or not... good news!

Well it all has to start somewhere. It is a speck in the ocean, but a good speck nonetheless.

The endemic of corruption in Thailand is the single largest problem preventing the country getting moving in the right direction as quickly as it should.

I have a relative who retired as cornel in the BIB and he seems to have been as 'honest' as they come. He don't have any of the trappings of unusual wealth that many of his friends have and I don't think thais are famous for being discreet with their ill gotten money.

He told me that only time he took bribes for not doing his job was in the 1960's as a bottom ranking BIB. the system is such that nobody gets a promotion without a patron and usually that patron is paid and the higher the rank the higher the fees. Clearly a station commander or higher don't go out on the streets to get their bribes and they need lots of money to get a return on their investment on the current rank and to pay for future promotions. They get the money by setting the junior officers quota's and if you don't meet the bribe quotas you get the dangerous jobs until you die, leave or begin to understand the realities of police life.

He got his promotions through pure cronyism. he was part of group who graduated and partied together. they all did very well before they retired, all generals. I think they saw him as a likeable eccentric within the group, which he is, and took care of him as they wormed their way up the ladder. He is extremely nationalistic and has a real thing about prostitution and drugs as they damage the reputation of his country and thus his ego. and yes it was interesting for a while when I started dating his favourite niece; before me the only foreigners he had met were in his cells.

The point is that the BIB have a promotion structure that favours the promotion of the corrupt and the corruption within the BIB is top down. A new recruit that just wants to do their job is going to be forced to collect bribes for their boss and just like a whore the more you do it the easier and more natural it becomes. But if people start believing they can report bribery and see something done about it, then corruption becomes uneconomic for the BIB.

I really would like to see a thailand where the BIB saw them selves as law in enforcement rather than a licensing authority selling the rights to break the law

The only problem I see here is the word "alleged".

It must be a slow news day when the factual statements are being reported rather than news.

In my 12 years in Thailand, I have encountered at least 15 "alleged" bribe taking policemen. I am not saying that they were corrupt, but for some reason after they stopped me, my wallet ended up being a couple of hundred Baht lighter.

Now show me the elusive mythical un-corruptable cop, that will be worth reading about.

If the PM is really inteested in breaking the cycle, then he has to encourage this sort of thing. Rewards for good citizenship for reporting it (money/medals/whatever goes down best). Numbers/web sites/postal address/drop in centres/etc where complaints can be made anonymously without reprisal (i.e. witness protection where necessary) and independant IA and police prosecution service. Automatic doubling of sentences for police found guilty - or better yet, reduce the amount of BiB (far too many - most doing jobs that should not be a policemans, like security guards and school crossings etc) and increase their wages and give a good pension that is at risk if found guilty. Give IA direct access to check bank accounts and assets of them and immediate family on complaint or suspicion. Stop it being desireable and it should straiten itself out for the vast majority of low level corruption.

I wonder if a group of Thais started a web site where people could post camera phone videos etc, how long it would be before it was taken down.

Edited by wolf5370

The takeaway lesson for the police? No screwing around when it comes to a crime involving a large influential business. If  a hiso has a problem, it's best to not try and  use the problem as a money making opportunity. Stick to extorting the poor and those that do not have powerful positions in society.

If the PM is really inteested in breaking the cycle, then he has to encourage this sort of thing. Rewards for good citizenship for reporting it (money/medals/whatever goes down best). Numbers/web sites/postal address/drop in centres/etc where complaints can be made anonymously without reprisal (i.e. witness protection where necessary) and independant IA and police prosecution service. Automatic doubling of sentences for police found guilty - or better yet, reduce the amount of BiB (far too many - most doing jobs that should not be a policemans, like security guards and school crossings etc) and increase their wages and give a good pension that is at risk if found guilty. Give IA direct access to check bank accounts and assets of them and immediate family on complaint or suspicion. Stop it being desireable and it should straiten itself out for the vast majority of low level corruption.

I wonder if a group of Thais started a web site where people could post camera phone videos etc, how long it would be before it was taken down.

Why would they take it down? The police would love for the public to provide more victims for them to extort, even if they are some of their own. Big fish eat the little fish, always have, always will.

The only problem I see here is the word "alleged".

It must be a slow news day when the factual statements are being reported rather than news.

In my 12 years in Thailand, I have encountered at least 15 "alleged" bribe taking policemen. I am not saying that they were corrupt, but for some reason after they stopped me, my wallet ended up being a couple of hundred Baht lighter.

Now show me the elusive mythical un-corruptable cop, that will be worth reading about.

I see an uncorrupt cop in Thailand all the time...

post-71011-069342300 1280502015_thumb.jp

There should be financial rewards for members of the public who can provide information about corrupt officials and automatic jail sentences of no less than two years plus prohibition on further being employed as a government official for life. The whole transfer to a less active position makes a mockery of any attempt to stamp out corruption.

Sadly, I am sure they could find a way of making money out of that. You would probably end up the honest officials being charged with bribery, while the civilan is collecting the reward and sharing it with his corrupt friends.

:)

Give IA direct access to check bank accounts and assets of them and immediate family on complaint or suspicion.

The IA may find away to have lots of assets and bank accounts, The corrupt cops could end up broke. But that could lead to huge payoff to get a job with the IA, or more killings. At the moment it is like a merry go round and the last 3 months is like out of control. The govt and there police counterparts must be doing alright. hope it is all going to help the country and its people!

:):D:)

I have a relative who retired as cornel in the BIB and he seems to have been as 'honest' as they come. He don't have any of the trappings of unusual wealth that many of his friends have and I don't think thais are famous for being discreet with their ill gotten money.

He told me that only time he took bribes for not doing his job was in the 1960's as a bottom ranking BIB. the system is such that nobody gets a promotion without a patron and usually that patron is paid and the higher the rank the higher the fees. Clearly a station commander or higher don't go out on the streets to get their bribes and they need lots of money to get a return on their investment on the current rank and to pay for future promotions. They get the money by setting the junior officers quota's and if you don't meet the bribe quotas you get the dangerous jobs until you die, leave or begin to understand the realities of police life.

He got his promotions through pure cronyism. he was part of group who graduated and partied together. they all did very well before they retired, all generals. I think they saw him as a likeable eccentric within the group, which he is, and took care of him as they wormed their way up the ladder. He is extremely nationalistic and has a real thing about prostitution and drugs as they damage the reputation of his country and thus his ego. and yes it was interesting for a while when I started dating his favourite niece; before me the only foreigners he had met were in his cells.

The point is that the BIB have a promotion structure that favours the promotion of the corrupt and the corruption within the BIB is top down. A new recruit that just wants to do their job is going to be forced to collect bribes for their boss and just like a whore the more you do it the easier and more natural it becomes. But if people start believing they can report bribery and see something done about it, then corruption becomes uneconomic for the BIB.

I really would like to see a thailand where the BIB saw them selves as law in enforcement rather than a licensing authority selling the rights to break the law

Awesome. Great insight in that story. It explains what we're seeing every day on the streets.

I often wonder how Singapore stamped out corruption of public officials. It seems an impossible task. But I am sure Singapore, before the current powers that be, was just as corrupt as the rest of SE Asia.

show me a country that does not have a corruption problem and i'll show you 180 that do

yes most do but not this bad...

Sorry to break you disillusionment but on a list of 180 countries Thailand was rated as the 84th most honest country. That means that there are 96 more corrupt.

following is the link. Unfortunately they are from 2008 but things in the world haven't changed that much. For the life of me I don't know how you can live in a country right next to Burma and make a statement like that

http://www.infoplease.com/world/statistics/2008-transparency-international-corruption-perceptions.html