Luggage And Immigration

praglen

I live in Thailand and my nephew is coming in September from Canada. I'm asking him to buy a large-screen TV(to save a bundle) and to check it before his flight. When he gets to Bangkok, will Immigration impose dutie? If so, is there a way to wrap the original box with paper so nobody knows it's a new purchase?

wrapping the box would not help because in BKK airport he would go through the "goods to declare" gate,

wouldn't he? He can of course also chose the gate "nothing to declare" and have fun ...

I have gone through the "nothing to declare" line twice in the past 6 months with LOTS to declare...and had no problems. I had speakers, a receiver, bunch of tools, cooking utensils, etc. 6 big bags between my wife and myself. We did get questioned about the amp, but he just wanted to know it was an amp...didn't even look in the bag.

Now a TV...that's a different matter. All my stuff was unwrapped, out of the box, and looking used.....

You can take a chance, but you might get stuck for hours while they shake you down...and for good reason...

Are you sure a TV purchased in Canada or the US will work in Thailand? IE. 110volts (NorthAmerica)vs 220volts (Thailand)

Won't there also be a compatibility issue? NTSC in Canada right? PAL in Thailand?

Sounds like a lot more problems than just the customs potentially charging you more than the difference in price!

don't hassle with the TV (voltage, compatibilities issues etc). the pricing of LCD flat screen TV are coming down significantly and you'll be able to purchase a good one in Thailand.<div>think about if you were to get questioned by customs and pay a hefty duty?</div>

:(

You would do beter to buy one in Thailand...or take a weekend trip to Sngapore, where I know you could get a bargain price on a wide-screen T.V. that would work in Thailand from one of those electronics stores that sell just about anything in the consumer electronics line.

I'm pretty sure that any televison bought in Canada would be NTSC system, and I think Thailand is PAL/SECAM. Two different and non-compatible system. Then you have the 220 volt/50 Hertz power in Thailand and the 110 volt/60 Hertz power in Canada.

Now it is possible to get high-end (expensive) muti-system televison sets that can be swicthed to other systems...either by a swith on the front...or now more likely on the remote control. And you can find systems that can switch from 110 volts to 220 volts power input. The problem comes from the 60Hz in Canada and the 50Hz in Thailand. There might be system that can be switched (usually by a plug-in) located inside the television (you often have to remove a small panel to get at it). However all that is going to cost more and it probably be hard to find in Canada.

So your two choices are

1. Buy in Thailand (prices are going down)

2. Take a trip to Singapore, find one of those all consumer electronics items stores. If you do go to Singapore you should be able to bargain the shop down by 20 percent (try for more). The first price they will tell you is always more than 20 percent higher than they actually want. Haggle with them...it's a tradition there.

And finally, I'm not sure there is any duty on wide-screen T.V's now in Thailand.

:rolleyes:

Edited by IMA_FARANG