New Small Hotel In Bangkok: Local Article

I found this article about a new small/boutique hotel in Bangkok. I've already checked their website, sounds like a great find (even if they haven't posted pictures yet)... enjoy! P.S. Does anybody have any more info. on this place, i.e. has anyone stayed there yet?

---------------------------------------------

The Old Bangkok Inn is either the homeliest boutique hotel in Bangkok, or the most luxurious bed and breakfast—we’re still not sure. The location, just off-Rajadamnern Avenue is the last vestige of old Bangkok, preserved during the city’s modernization. The location, down the sleepy side of Phra Sumeru Road, is fairly well concealed; just a row of shophouses without so much as a sign to show the way. That's not to say that the Old Bangkok Inn is out of the way, it is adjacent to Golden Mountain as well as the Metal Palace and just a short ride to infamous Kao San.

At just 8 rooms, it’s as intimate as they come. Interiors avoid an excess of clichéd Thainess, mixing the usual antiques with modern conveniences (like flat screen TV's, DVD's and complimentary PC's with broadband) and muted contemporary colors. The result is charm without being precious, and the overriding floral theme of the rooms is unique. Rooms vary from small to surprisingly large, and all are luxuriously outfitted with big comfortable beds and top-quality handmade linens. Some rooms even come with gardens equipped with your very own fish pool. The teak furnitures are, like the hotel, the private obsession of Nantiya Tulyanond, the former diplomat's wife turned hotelier behind the Old Bangkok Inn. Her vision is that of a private and charming inn for travelers wanting a more bed and breakfast feel, the Inn is definitely in a whole different league from the budget hostels the area is known for.

This is a small, inexpensive boutique hotel, and a very homely one at that, which means it does not provide the same services as, say, the Oriental. But for this price, and in this neighborhood (with all the attractions of Old Bangkok right at hand), it would be churlish to bemoan the absence of a swimming pool or a full-service spa. It’s a new venture, and the prices are still rather low, so it’s quite a value especially if you don't want to be in generic Silom or Sukhumvit. There’s a small coffee shop - which despite its old-fashioned appearance is wi-fi enabled - called the Old Bangkok Tea-room. The Old Bangkok Inn and Tea-room is definitely the ideal starting line for visitors as well as locals wishing to play tourist by spending the day visiting the likes of the Queen's Gallery or the Grand Palace—and there’s a chance the rates won’t stay this low.

For more information please visit: www.oldbangkokinn.com, or call +662 629-1785-7.

Sorry,but for B3000 a night,I want at least a decent gym and pool.The bedroom pics look no more better than the Dynasty or Nana at - B1000.

And note the disclaimer under the room pics:

NOTE: Current images are for presentation only. They are NOT yet actual.

Are these not actual pics of the rooms?

Anyway unless I want to splurge and stay in a really nice place (say B1,100) I usually find that the Prince on Petchaburi @ B700 for double occupancy (B600 single) is plenty good with swimming pool and breakfast buffet included. Also it is nice and clean, though some rooms are nicer than others. Check out your room before accepting. I think 6th and 7th are the better floors.

Anyone know of a nicer or better deal other than the Prince near Soi Asoke or Sukhumvit area ?

On a plus side for this boutique hotel, I do appreciate their "green" policy and their emphasis on fine details like nice furnishings and linens, free in-room breakfast and free in-room internet. Maybe I'll at least look at it next time I'm in BKK (while staying elsewhere more frugally). :o

I am not in BKK to spend a lot of time in my hotel except to sleep in any case.

Sorry,but for B3000 a night,I want at least a decent gym and pool.The bedroom pics look no more better than the Dynasty or Nana at - B1000.

Anyway unless I want to splurge and stay in a really nice place (say B1,100) I usually find that the Prince on Petchaburi @ B700 for double occupancy (B600 single) is plenty good with swimming pool and breakfast buffet included. Also it is nice and clean, though some rooms are nicer than others. Check out your room before accepting. I think 6th and 7th are the better floors.

Anyone know of a nicer or better deal other than the Prince near Soi Asoke or Sukhumvit area ?

On a plus side for this boutique hotel, I do appreciate their "green" policy and their emphasis on fine details like nice furnishings and linens, free in-room breakfast and free in-room internet. Maybe I'll at least look at it next time I'm in BKK (while staying elsewhere more frugally). :o

Manhatten Soy 15--- 1110 Baht double inc buffet b/f

Where is the Prince hotel ? exactly

Prince is at nana rd (soi 3) and petchuberi. trust me the place aint special and is out of the way. I would stick with your Manhattan. now that is a prime location and worth a few extra baht. location location location

Manhattan

Long as that building site next door is finished

last time i stayed there it was a nightmare

Manhatten Soy 15--- 1110 Baht double inc buffet b/f

Where is the Prince hotel ? exactly

Having stayed in both when they were relatively new (30 plus years ago) can say Manhattan was a real hotel and base for JAL flight crews in those days. The only negative I had was a very poor air-conditioning system (which I am sure has been replaced).

The Prince was built for the GI R&R trade and looked it. In those days walls were cement board and everything about it was cheap. I believe it has been rebuilt since those days however.

You did not tell me where the Prince is located.

Petchbury Rd ????  New or old Rd????near where????

It is set back from New Petchburi Road almost across from Sukhumvit Soi 3.

Maybe 100 meters west (Wireless Rd direction) of across from soi 3 :o

About 8 stories high with PRINCE big and bold near top. North side of Petchburi about 75 meters back, facing its own big parking area. Can't miss it. Though many taxi drivers don't know it, even if you tell them clearly in Thai "long laem Plin". Of course they all know the area.

The Dude - Not sure what you mean by out of the way. Not in the heart of Soi Nana area, but that is one reason why I like it; nice and quiet area and 35- 40 baht taxi ride (2-5 minute, except rush hours) to almost any part of Sukhumvit area. I see a lot of families at Prince, maybe for this reason.

For 600/700 baht single/dbl you can't expect the Hilton, but nice clean, good size, well decorated rooms (at least on 6th/7th floors) and really decent buffet breakfast. I admit that one room I saw once (on the 4th floor, I think) was decidedly different from others I had stayed in, and I went right back down to the desk to change to another.

I think you can pay another B400 a night elsewhere and still not get a nicer room or better breakfast. But I am always looking for a better deal, so let me know if you find one.. :D

Hmm, Manhattan does look nice, so I will check it out next time I am there, as Soi 15 is very convenient for me. May even stay there if I am feeling flush and if I get them to agree to a better price. :o

Their direct rate is B1,700 dbl. Need to go through internet booking service to get B1,150 it seems.