Help - Nokia 6600 Dead - Data Recovery

sillyfools

My nokia 6600 died today (Rip.... last fr***in nokia for sure)....

The phone does not come online anymore. It started with erratic rebooting. Now only a white screen... so probably a problem with the boot sequence.

In each nokia 6600 there's a tiny harddrive (6Mb) where all contacts are stored (I was not able to make a backup to mmc or to pc). Since a phone is like a windows system (boots and stores data) someone with the right tools may be able to regain my lost contacts and sms messages.

Did anyone have the same problem and got it resolved? Where did you go?

A bit desperate over the 100s of contacts worldwide I don't want to lose.

:o

Well, for starters it's not a hard drive (it's FLASH memory), whoever told you that is a total .......

Dumb question, try the SIM in another phone, it is just possible that you've been storing the contacts there rather than in the phone.

Whatever, your first port of call should be one of the multitude of phone repair shops, there are enough in MBK that you don't need a recommendation.

If it started out erratic it may be someting quite simple (loose connection), so talk to the repair man, make sure he understands that you want to get your contacts back if possible.

Good luck, and next time keep a backup of your contacts.

BTW, when you buy a new phone, don't get a Siemens, total carp. Nokia are still the best.

There is a Nokia store on Sukamvit Hwy on the left before Pattaya Klang Rd going toward Rayong. I lost all my data in my 6260 phone and they were all to restore all the data. My phone was still under warranty so the cost was free.

1st try to use a cable... Second try a good repair stop stressing the data inside is whats important rather than a fix (which might mean new internals) and loss of data..

Lastly Nokia themselves would possibly be able to help.. They must realize as smartphones become more important to people that the data inside them becomes more valuable than the phone...

I have taken to backing up phone contacts, pics, and video VERY regularly...

If you want a reccomendation.. I just picked up the Sony Ericsson K750i the camera was the appealing thing (real 2MP cam with working LED flash) and even though its not a 'smartphone' in the sense of the Nokia series 60 stuff (or the Windows mobile devices or PDA WinCE style phones out there) its contacts section has enough fields for complete address / email / storage use... At this point I havent fopund anything to really complain about and am very happy with it..

Now just want a 1GB Sony Mem stick so it can be a real MP3 player and keep 1000's of pics...

Bkkbutcher.

I connect to it via bluetooth or irda but the phone does not start up (white screen). When I was able to connect it could not backup the info.

Crossy.

I meant flash memory indeed. My contacts are not stored on the sim (too little memory and truncated texts) so they are stored in the phone itself.

I just had a friend write me in thai language that they should NOT do a soft or hard reset on the phone. If they cannot find a solution I will send it to a data recovery center in the us. About 100$ but worth it.

Not to happy about nokia anymore. My previous one also started resetting. Will go for a sony erriccson or imate maybe. Would really love to use audible on it.

Thaireq.

Thanks for the info. Might give that a try. Will go to pattaya for the weekend so thanks again.

LivinLOS

Hehe, Thanks for the recommendation. Another friend just told me the same thing. Sounds like the perfect phone. Just would hope it can play my audiobooks while I'm on the road. Tired of bringing a chunky pda along as well :-D.

If your audio books are in MP3 / AAC / WAV (says wav not tested it must be BIG) then no issues... I am just pricing up a 1 gig Mem stick pro duo (wait till I go through Sing airport in a few days just in case) so that I really can have 1000's of photos and hours and hours of good audio in it..

The stereo sound out of it is fine (impressed) so far but am eagerly waiting a clip on socket that gives me standard headphone adapter so I can use a nice set of outer ear cans..

I dont want to harp on about it too much but I am really hard to please and this phone just seems superb so far.. Music / Pics / Phone / Contacts / great outlook and PC sync.. Even the price was not bad considering.

This sounds like the WSOD ( white screen of death ) that can happen to the nokia NGAGE - it usually need to go to a service centre to be fixed - not sure about data recovery though.

check this thread

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/showt...&highlight=WSOD

edit...maybe not the best thread , as most of the people are asking for help.

I originally got a bluetooth phone for the ease of backing up contacts etc , but there are a few good symbian progs that will back up to your mem card.

Edited by stumonster