Foreign Tourists Arrivals In Thailand Mounting Continuously

webfact

Foreign tourists' figure in Thailand mounting continuously

gallery_327_1086_9787.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) -- The number of foreign tourists travelling to Thailand from 1 to 29 July 2010 rises by 12.7% compared to the same period of last year, according to Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) Governor, Suraphon Svetasreni.

Mr Suraphon reported a brighter outlook for the domestic tourism climate, notably the 40% growth in the number of foreign visitors in the southern island of Phuket. He believed that the Thai tourism would apparently recover during the high season of this year if there was no further political violence.

The Governor added that the two recent bomb explosions in Bangkok and the maintenance of the state of emergency in 10 provinces had not negatively affected the tourist figure yet.

The total number of foreign tourists in Thailand this year is likely to be more than 14 million as targeted by the TAT, said Mr Suraphon.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2010-08-03 footer_n.gif

• Like 2

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Foreign tourists' figure in Thailand mounting continuously

Does this mean that the ladies and the boys of the night in Patpong, soi Cowboy, Nana etc. are experiencing an improvement in their ''trade'' with all these ''Mounting tourists'' ? whistling.gifrolleyes.gif

• Like 1

More "statistics" for us to believe. :blink:

Jan-June figs for the last three years: -

2008 7.88mn

2009 6.61mn

2010 7.52mn

Source : Ministry of Tourism Website

Bottom line - tourist arrivals in H1 2009 were 16.1% down on 2008 - and although those for H1 2010 showed a recovery, it was to a number that was still below 2008.

I rather suspect the July "growth" will show a similar picture. This is before we get onto the nonsense in late 2008 at tha airport, which killed late 2008 numbers somewhat. Despite this, the total for 2008 was a very creditable 14.32mn. Thius while 2010 may reach the projected 14.6mn or so, this is no great achievement.

The first steps in solving a problem are to (a) admit there is a problem and (B) then identify the causes. The Thai government has done neither.

Watch out for boasts about rising hotel occupancy in 2011 or 2012 in due course - which will reflect hotels going out of business (thus reducing capacity) rather than room night growth.

More "statistics" for us to believe. :blink:

The given statistics are probably right. Only a carefully phrased link to 2009 is given. The reason is references to 2008 or before would show how relative this recovery is.

I heard that if there is another bombing in Bangkok, the rate of tourist coming into the Kingdom will increase exponentially that there will be a shortage of Hotels.

BTW, have you heard that 65.23645% of all statistics is made up on the spot. Just like all figures coming out of the ministry of Tourism.

Oh, yeah, the tourism is doing just fine. That's why, here in Chiang Mai, some of the best, and best known hotels are shutting down, up for sale, struggling to pay their electric bills, not to mention their employees. Not to mention the fact that you see about half of number of tuk-tuks you normally see this time of year. And go to Chiang Mai's famous Night Bazaar on a Friday night, Saturday and Sunday and see the vendors sitting and standing around talking to each other and ignoring ALLLLLL the supposed tourists the government says are here.

Maybe if they stopped counting everyone who has to do a visa run, and everyone who gets off a plane in BKK who are in transit to somewhere else, along with stray water buffaloes that cross the borders from Cambodia and Lao into Thailand as a "tourist" they might come up with REAL figures.

Who are they trying to convince? It doesn't work with me so they must be trying to convince themselves

there is no need to "convince" anyone.

people from all over the world will ALWAYS come back to Thailand quickly, as it is a desired destination, no matter what those moaners and whiners say.

after all, those moaners and whiners reside in Thailand too, or travel there frequently.

the thing is, people in general forget quickly, and indeed destinations such as Phuket or Samui never had trouble regarding unrest. they may have problems regarding transport-Mafias though, but most tourists care little about that :ph34r:

Thailand is a phenomenon, always bouncing back, no matter what happens (Tsunami, SARS, Bird-Flu, PAD-Airport-occupation, Military Coups, Public unrest......)

the thing is, no other county here in the region offers a similar experience - fantastic value for money when it comes to accomodation, cheap and AROI food, and SANOOK as if there is no tomorrow. plus a pretty good touristic and public infrastructure, including very good hospitals.

you cannot have that in the same way in Indonesia, Malaysia, Vietnam, Philippines, Cambodia, Myanmar.....

that's how it is, and therefore, I will probably not move to anywhere else for the time being, even I acknowledge there is a lot wrong in this country too, in 2010 more than ever before.

Funny. I see alot of doom and gloom TV members who have been predicting the end of tourism in Thailand because of bad Thai behavior abit in denial about these statistics which show the opposite :-)

No one is saying that the statistics are wrong per se, just that their use has been "spun" to convey a desired "everything is OK" message.

A proper analysis needs to look at not just the gross numbers but also at (a) sources, (B) destinations within Thailand, © number of nights in country and (d) (hardest of all) average spend. Thus 100 high end people staying on a single basis at (say) the Oriental for 10 days probably spend much more than 1000 backpackers sharing rooms (double basis) even if they stay for three weeks.

Apart from the Ministry stats, I have (a) Thai friends who own hotels and (B) non-Thai friends working in the high-end inward tourism business. Both say that things are the worse that they have ever seen.

Who are they trying to convince? It doesn't work with me so they must be trying to convince themselves

people from all over the world will ALWAYS come back to Thailand quickly, as it is a desired destination, no matter what those moaners and whiners say.

after all, those moaners and whiners reside in Thailand too, or travel there frequently.

the thing is, people in general forget quickly, and indeed destinations such as Phuket or Samui never had trouble regarding unrest. they may have problems regarding transport-Mafias though, but most tourists care little about that :ph34r:

Thailand is a phenomenon, always bouncing back, no matter what happens (Tsunami, SARS, Bird-Flu, PAD-Airport-occupation, Military Coups, Public unrest......)

the thing is, no other county here in the region offers a similar experience - fantastic value for money when it comes to accomodation, cheap and AROI food, and SANOOK as if there is no tomorrow. plus a pretty good touristic and public infrastructure, including very good hospitals.

you cannot have that in the same way in Indonesia, Malaysia, Vietnam, Philippines, Cambodia, Myanmar.....

that's how it is, and therefore, I will probably not move to anywhere else for the time being, even I acknowledge there is a lot wrong in this country too, in 2010 more than ever before.

I guess you work tor TAT ? :whistling:

Agree completely- Thailand is a huge magnet- even people who seemingly dont like thailand, double pricing, thai people, etc etc, they still stay here - such is the countries draw.

Let us assume that the number of arrivals are correct for a moment. Actually, I do not doubt the arrival numbers at all. What I do wonder though is who arrives.

Also, after many years of non-stop building, it is clear that there is a huge oversupply of tourist accommodation in many parts (eg. Phuket, Samui).

I try to keep informed about tourism through friends who are in the field, and it seems they are in agreement about a few things.

Quality tourists are down significantly. A quality tourist for them is a person who buys a 2-3 week stay at a 4 start establishment, and who buys other services (e.g. tours) through them. The general consensus seems to be that these quality tourists have tried traveling to Thailand, perhaps even a few times, and do not wish to return.

Also, there seems to be an enormous drop in "Farang" visitors, and a large pickup in Middle Eastern tourists, as well as South Asians & Chinese. It seems these visitors do not buy the same services as Farang tourists, and the service market has not adjusted. It is also noted that South Asians & Chinese spend a little less per visit. Chinese tourists very often buy their tours from their home country, stay in Chinese owned hotels & are driven around to select destinations only (often being strongly reminded to spend their money at "approved locations").

Islands like Phuket, Samui, Tao and resort towns like Hua Hin, Pattaya do have a very bad reputation (dirty, pricey, dodgy, lots of hookers), and independent travelers often ask about alternative destinations where they can "experience the real Thailand". Koh Tao seems to be in total shambles right now with illegal building, no water/electricity supply, and they have even built a resort on the very famous "double island with the small double beach in between". Tourists who arrive now are greeted by the very tacky sunchairs with umbrellas. Natural beauty is gone completely. Tourists are of course disappointed and leave with a feeling of "was that all? It was disappointing."

Tourists are also fed up with the overcharging, trickery, and unfair treatment found in all tourist areas, not to mention the constant barrage of hookers coming at you from every direction.

It is also noted that many western tourists ask for "Bungalow" or "Thai style" accommodation and there is less and less supply of decently priced destinations offering this. There seems to be an abundance of 10,000+ Baht 5 star villa destinations though. Many potential tourists decline with the comment "I work hard all year to save up for a good 3 week vacation, but I can't afford to spend more than US$ 2,000 for my vacation. I would prefer to spend about US$ 500-600 on the hotel in total." Finding anything in this price range is very difficult now.

So the conclusion is is somewhat of a good news/bad news thing.

The good news is that Thailand probably will see the 14.6 million visitors this year, with a decent growth next year (unless Thais go :fight::hit-the-fan:).

The bad news is that the visitors who do arrive do not use the facilities and services that Thais have so diligently built up the past decade. They tend to spend their money at the street stall for dinner instead of the fancy restaurant, and they rather stay at "Mikes place hotel residence" for 500 Baht a night than, "Baan Puuyai, paeng maak" for 24,000 baht a night.

But then again, this is just the subjective observations of one person, and I will of course be very wrong :wacko::redcard2:

Let us assume that the number of arrivals are correct for a moment. Actually, I do not doubt the arrival numbers at all. What I do wonder though is who arrives.

Also, after many years of non-stop building, it is clear that there is a huge oversupply of tourist accommodation in many parts (eg. Phuket, Samui).

I try to keep informed about tourism through friends who are in the field, and it seems they are in agreement about a few things.

Quality tourists are down significantly. A quality tourist for them is a person who buys a 2-3 week stay at a 4 start establishment, and who buys other services (e.g. tours) through them. The general consensus seems to be that these quality tourists have tried traveling to Thailand, perhaps even a few times, and do not wish to return.

Also, there seems to be an enormous drop in "Farang" visitors, and a large pickup in Middle Eastern tourists, as well as South Asians & Chinese. It seems these visitors do not buy the same services as Farang tourists, and the service market has not adjusted. It is also noted that South Asians & Chinese spend a little less per visit. Chinese tourists very often buy their tours from their home country, stay in Chinese owned hotels & are driven around to select destinations only (often being strongly reminded to spend their money at "approved locations").

Islands like Phuket, Samui, Tao and resort towns like Hua Hin, Pattaya do have a very bad reputation (dirty, pricey, dodgy, lots of hookers), and independent travelers often ask about alternative destinations where they can "experience the real Thailand". Koh Tao seems to be in total shambles right now with illegal building, no water/electricity supply, and they have even built a resort on the very famous "double island with the small double beach in between". Tourists who arrive now are greeted by the very tacky sunchairs with umbrellas. Natural beauty is gone completely. Tourists are of course disappointed and leave with a feeling of "was that all? It was disappointing."

Tourists are also fed up with the overcharging, trickery, and unfair treatment found in all tourist areas, not to mention the constant barrage of hookers coming at you from every direction.

It is also noted that many western tourists ask for "Bungalow" or "Thai style" accommodation and there is less and less supply of decently priced destinations offering this. There seems to be an abundance of 10,000+ Baht 5 star villa destinations though. Many potential tourists decline with the comment "I work hard all year to save up for a good 3 week vacation, but I can't afford to spend more than US$ 2,000 for my vacation. I would prefer to spend about US$ 500-600 on the hotel in total." Finding anything in this price range is very difficult now.

So the conclusion is is somewhat of a good news/bad news thing.

The good news is that Thailand probably will see the 14.6 million visitors this year, with a decent growth next year (unless Thais go :fight::hit-the-fan:).

The bad news is that the visitors who do arrive do not use the facilities and services that Thais have so diligently built up the past decade. They tend to spend their money at the street stall for dinner instead of the fancy restaurant, and they rather stay at "Mikes place hotel residence" for 500 Baht a night than, "Baan Puuyai, paeng maak" for 24,000 baht a night.

But then again, this is just the subjective observations of one person, and I will of course be very wrong :wacko::redcard2:

If not 100% correct then at least 90% and very well expressed.

Many of the higher end hotels etc (outside business areas) will be hanging on due to bank foreberance more than anyting else (no point in foreclosing as no one would buy it anyway). Restaurants and bars etc still doing a reasonable trade are those that cater to residents.

THe worm has turned. The farlangs are at home paying for their debts and the Asian are coming out because they have all the money at the moment. They have less money then a farlang at their peak so although numbers may be similar to 2008 the financial crisis and the political problems are seeing less money being spent. SAmui and Phuket are enjoying the fact that they built international airports and tourists dont need to go anywhere Bangkok.

I'll be more prepared to believe 'official' statistics when I see that airlines have restored their schedules to the same level as last summer. Many are still operating flights in and out of Bangkok on a reduced schedule.

Over a drink or three, and committee agreement after serious debate/discussion, we have formulated a hypothesis to the base problem, for you non believers.TAT has different departments who are counting tourists. One individual counts those exiting immigration and the other bloke is counting at the exit doors. As the numbers never agree , they use the higher number which includes the touts, greeters for tours, drivers, awaiting family, friends, etc and the other incidental traffic.

Agree completely- Thailand is a huge magnet- even people who seemingly dont like thailand, double pricing, thai people, etc etc, they still stay here - such is the countries draw.

Why is everywhere so quite...please dont say it isnt, as it really is dire in Hua Hin, Bangkok and Samui, from what my friends said in Phuket, they may need to go back to Europe as it is empty there.

Thailand used to attract backpackers,..KSR then off to the Islands, backpackers now, go to KSR and then leave for Cambodia or Laos without seeing anything else in Thailand as it is so expensive. Gone are the days of rooms for 200 Baht...now its 800 Baht or even more in most places. Taxes on alachol have increased the past 2 years.Tuk Tuks etc all charging too much. I remember KSR as a great place with everyone talking about going to Samui, Krabi or Phi Phi, my last recent visit, it was dead, and the people I spoke to were all going eleswhere...so Thailand cant rely on the gap year students/backpackers anymore.

Sexpests have always come to Thailand but now with those that are gradually getting older or have even moved here, there really isnt a new generation of sexpests visiting Thailand, most are now going to Philipines or Cuba, simply because it is far cheaper in those countries for their main activity.

Families....well 100 dead or so on the streets of BKK, do you really think a family would travel to Thailand at present...no chance

OK, there are the diehards that will always come back but Thailand just isnt appealing to any new generation of tourist...maybe a few Indians or Eastern Europeans but they dont spend anything.

Maybe a trip to Phili or Cambodia and you would see what a busy tourist town should look like.......

I can think of at least 7 friends that were regular visitors here...twice a year every year but not since 2007.....how many others know of friends/family that just dont come here anymore.

TAT needs to wake up and face reality as if they dont, a few years more and it dosnt bear thinking about how many business will be ruined.

I find it hard to believe that Thailand has seen an increase in tourist figures of that size, what with the airport closure and the siege of Silom.

I believe it would be a decrease, of a similar percentage.

I notice that all there percentages mainly refer to 2009 rather than 2008. I for the life of me can not figure out where all these tourists are. The government says they are here but fail to tell us where. Rumor has it that there is not that many mounting tourists in Patiia [cant spell] Perhaps if the government would try walking around the tourist areas they might like the rest of Thailand say where are the tourists?

It would be interesting watching them explain to a poor merchant that there really are more tourists.

All that aside. They are trying to judge based on low season travelers. A lot of people plan ahead and have already made plans for other destinations. Yes you are always going to have the back packers and many of them zero in on the low prices and leave nothing behind them. Some stay and turn to crime to support them. But the ones who make plans and have families are going to think twice about it. Let me see the statistics in December that will give us a fair shot at estimating the true impact on tourism.

By the way I want my wife and I taken off the tourist list for July we were coming home from a holiday. And I might add to a empty street in Chiang Mai commonly called the Night Bazaar. They recently decided to turn it into a walking street Saturday night to try and get tourists to come to it. :welcomeani: