Tourist Visa For Hungary

Hi all,

I have checked on the forum and can't see this topic covered and my question is basically that my GF is coming to England on a tourist visa over xmas and I have booked us to go to Hungary for 4 days over new year. Is the process for the Hungarian Visa as longwinded as the process for the UK visa or is it a question of just showing hotel reservations and paying a nominal fee. Also I noticed that Hungary is part of the schengen area so is it advised to apply for a schengen visa over a Hungarian visa.

Thank you in advance

As you say Hungary is a Schengen State so your girlfriend needs a Schengen Visa.

You should actually apply for the visa for the country she is entering the Schengen Area.

My experince in applying for Schengen Visas is limited, but when my partner applied she had to provide details of the trip as well as return tickets in and out of the Schengen Areas and travel insurance, though I thought the process was quicker and easier than a visa for the UK, the visa was only valid for the duration of the trip as specified in the application.

Others may have different experiences.

She will find Hungary cold at that time of the year. :huh:

Edited by theoldgit

Processing times vary as you have to apply at the consulate of the first country of entry into the Schengen zone. I know this doesn't apply in your case, but this can catch people out if travelling around Europe and they end up with a visa refusal stamp in their otherwise unblemished passport.

You must submit documents stating not only the purpose of your trip but the conditions in which you are travelling as well. Means of transport: for example, a return air ticket, proof of transport by car, train, etc.

The purpose of your trip: this might simply be proof of reservation of a tourist trip. But it might also be an invitation from one of your friends or relatives…

The money needed for your trip: you must demonstrate that you have the requisite financial resources to cover your needs throughout your trip. Requirements may differ from country to country in the Schengen area, so please check with the Hungary consulate for details of those requirements:

The conditions in which you will be accommodated during your trip – a hotel reservation, for example. In some cases, additional information may be requested by the authorities of the countries concerned.

To obtain a visa, you will need travel insurance to cover the costs of repatriation and emergency medical expenses worth at least €30,000. The insurance certificate must be presented at the time of delivery of the visa.

Here's a link detailing all the supporting documents etc: http://www.mfa.gov.hu/NR/rdonlyres/17C22871-B307-4245-97D7-7D30B2730BC4/0/071218_general_information_entering_hun.pdf

Thanks folks, I am planning on applying for the UK visa in late nov / dec, as she has already had the uk visa before I am not anticipating any difficulties. The only other question I have is on the UK visa application do I have to stipulate that she will be leaving and returning on the same visa, furthermore we are planning another trip at easter - is there any way she can do this all on one UK tourist visa?

The UKBA normally issue multi entry visas which would allow her to return to the UK from Hungary, but to be safe I would get your girlfriend to include a copy of her proposed itinerary with her application detailing the proposed side trip to Hungary.

Likewise I would add that she proposes to return at the end of April 2011 for an Easter holiday, visas are normally given for the full six months, and are valid for multi entries for six months from the start date of the visa.

Whilst she should be ok applying late November/early December, I would apply a tad earlier to allow for unforeseen delays in the visa processing procedure, she can ask for the visa to be post-dated to commence just before the Christmas trip.

The Hungarian Embassy is in Sukhumvit 24 in Bangkok http://www.mfa.gov.hu/kulkepviselet/TH/en/