Thais Sitting On, Hanging Around, Playing With, Modifying Your Motorbike.

thomo

Go to the manager

Don't worry, that was the first thing I did. Manager, director, and the 3 security all having a nice chat.

the director is probably the nicest old lady I've ever met. Which doesn't make it easier.

and tell him the security most likely just keyed my bike.

I wanted to keep my cool, and not accuse people of something that cannot be proven. But it was well pointed out that they were told to stay off the bikes two days ago. And today one owned by the person who complained about them gets keyed.

But what can be done, seriously. Nothing can be proven. All that can be done now by dragging it on is embarrassment and loss of face by various people, and I don't mean the security.

How old are they?

About 20, 25 and 40.

The manager must be able to do something..

Like what?

The security plays with and vandalizes the property it's supposed to be protecting?

Of course, it's Thailand. I made them lose face. :annoyed:

I don't know if I'm going to let it slide, swallow hard, and try to accept it... or keep on pushing it. I think the security would probably enjoy watching me get worked up over it knowing all they have to do is smile and say 'Mai luu' and nothing can be done.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well if they "mai luu" tell the boss that they shouldn't be security guards because they aren't doing their job.... Which is supposed to be watching the property...

Of course after making the connection between your vandalized bike and the complaint as the most obvious reasoning.....

For the either one of these the manager should be able to think of getting rid of them, if they even have the slightest idea of what security is... Or maybe in Thailand it is just to look good? Tell the boss these guys are either vandalizing your property or they aren't capable of being a security guard as they don't have the consciousness to stop your property from being vandalized right in the area the animals are supposed to be watching..

Again. Where do you work? Is it that great a job?

Edited by lennya12threh

thomo had similar problems in the Middle East with arab brats wanting to maul my Yamaha XVS1100A Dragstar. I ended up buying myself a light cotton single sheet, cut out the appropriate holes for mirrors and foot pegs, tied the corners together below the front and rear wheels, problem solved. The cotton was no problem putting onto hot chrome. I had the sheet folded up (was very compact) with me and it only took 30 seconds to put it on. Stop the fookers in their tracks when they saw me covering the bike up.

That's properly the best solution to the problem, thanks for the tip. Having the same problem with my Harley, they just can't leave it alone. Will try to source a white cotton sheet.

thomo had similar problems in the Middle East with arab brats wanting to maul my Yamaha XVS1100A Dragstar. I ended up buying myself a light cotton single sheet, cut out the appropriate holes for mirrors and foot pegs, tied the corners together below the front and rear wheels, problem solved. The cotton was no problem putting onto hot chrome. I had the sheet folded up (was very compact) with me and it only took 30 seconds to put it on. Stop the fookers in their tracks when they saw me covering the bike up.

That's properly the best solution to the problem, thanks for the tip. Having the same problem with my Harley, they just can't leave it alone. Will try to source a white cotton sheet.

Hi guzz, yeah it'll work a treat. I had a grey sheet myself.

Hi guzz, yeah it'll work a treat. I had a grey sheet myself.

Did they then think it was owned by the ghost rider.:)

tell the boss that they shouldn't be security guards because they aren't doing their job

There's loss of face and embarrassment for both me, and way more importantly my boss, whom I have genuine respect for as a person. One has to remember that nothing can be proved, and getting upset and making demands is only going to shut down any process here.

Is it that great a job?

Well, yeah. I am very happy in the job, and get a lot of job satisfaction from it, yes.

A email with photos attached has been written to my agency, which I also have a lot of respect for.

Hi *********

Sorry to bother you. We had some issues with the security at ********* last week. They were always sitting on our motorbikes during the day, which was okay. But last week I saw 3 of them playing on my motorbike – pulling it back and forward, playing with the brakes, and taking it onto the road like they were driving it. They saw me coming out to talk to them and got off it. So I didn’t do anything about it.

We asked ********* if she would ask them to stop playing with the motorbikes on Friday, which she did.

Today they were sitting between the motorbikes, and when I finished work I noticed someone had scratched a deep scratch into the paint along the gas tank with a key or metal object. Which I have to presume was one of the security guards as no one else goes near them.

Yours, *********.

Definitely the best and simplest solution - a bike cover would have prevented all the problems, as well as kept the sun off the bike. You may need a king sized cover for the Retro and sidecar, though, as it is probably more photogenic!.

I had a similar problem with one of my neighbours (my nearest neighbour is a few hundered metres away and you can't actually see any other houses from my house) driving down the private road to my house (my road, over my land) with his ancient motor bike and side car and then turning off, driving down another neighbour's field beside my wall to cut grass near a river for his buffalo - no major problem, but it was usually early morning or late at night and set my dogs off.

Solution? Plant a line of flowers along the side of the road so that there was no way of turning off it without driving over the flowers. No harsh words or lost face, I have peace and quiet, and he gets the grass from a little further down the river. I expect he knows why I planted the flowers there, but so what? Everyone's happy and nobody has any reason to be spiteful.

It doesn't always work, admittedly: when one neighbour decided to start his own charcoal burning factory on some open ground next to my house (not his land, and some distance from his house) direct confrontation was the only answer, and to be fair he stopped and followed my suggestion of burning next to his own house instead - albeit only briefly!

Edited by JohnLeech

She's only a little CBR but I am quite fond of her, treat her like a lady, and make sure she gets a good oiling before she's even due. And do take a bit of pride in being seen with her.

Commiserations on the vandalism, a scratch is a scratch after all and your stuff is your stuff, no matter its value etc..

But now maybe a few of the head in the sand posters can start to guess how much worse that is with a 750k duci or triumph.. How much more attention it gets and how much more annoying also.

Threads like this remind me of the upsides of a beater over nice stuff here. Cheap charlie I may be, but it is easier to sleep.

Where do I get a quote for it to be fixed? Just at the local Honda dealership? Do they respray and touch up bikes in there too? I'd like to pop along to get a quote to give to the company and say that I hope they will pay it.

You definitely have my sympathy Thomo. It is a shame that one of things we give up to come here is large portion of our right to property and access to justice. There will be no fixing that until Thais have an idea to make changes.

I think you can get a respray, I doubt you will get money for it though.

Edited by canuckamuck

So can anybody recommend a paint shop to get it touched up in BKK. I'd like to get it done asap, and the bill will be presented to them.

but I need to find a spray shop... anyone able to help me out?

So can anybody recommend a paint shop to get it touched up in BKK. I'd like to get it done asap, and the bill will be presented to them.

anybody know of a spray shop in or around BKK?

It would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

anybody know of a spray shop in or around BKK?

It would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

Thommo, try Kuhn Boy at Chicane Perfornance Moto Bangkok, it's here in the Motorcycle Directory Project Map

Straight up guy and can more than likely point you in the right direction

A few years ago back in the home country I stopped on a ride to get a couple of sandwiches at a shop which I intended to eat at a local park. After purchasing the sandwiches I made my way back to my bike where I found a guy in his earlier 30ies standing next to my bike and he was holding onto his snotty nosed little brat who was sitting on the riders seat and slapping the tank with his grubby little hands. The bike was one of my pride and joys and was gleaming in all its beauty with this filthy little child on its back.

I agree with ND that it happens every where; however, it seems to happen more frequently in Thailand :)

Taken a bit further, its one reason that people will do anything for power here in Thailand; the Pu Yai doesn't suffer fools gladly and the average Thai would not dream of messing with his personal property.

THe best quote I've heard (for we farangs) is "Best to not love your bike too much..." :)

Mind you, I'm talking about cages, not bikes, but I'll just say the respect Thais show [in the twelve years I've been coming here anyway] for each others' cars while maneuvering, parking & opening doors is exemplary - certainly compared to Americans, who typically could give a sh&t whether they bash your paint getting their large @sses out of their SUVs jammed crosswise into compact car spaces. And a bike in a car space? Fair chance it'll be knocked over for the shear audacity of taking a space. The Thais are very respectful of others property compared to that, at least from what I've seen. But in the US, certainly in San Francisco, nobody gets on anybody else's bike. It doesn't happen.

Having said that... I'm getting ready to find out about bikes here. but if you have an expensive bike, a cover and alarm with cable lock running over the seat should remove any motivation for dullards to pose on your ride as well as keeping it safe & clean[er].

A few years ago I came out from a bar in Chiang Mai to find a gang of teenagers, maybe 15 of them, milling around, riding bikes, pulling wheelies, etc. in the soi. Weaving through them I headed for my bike, a Honda Sonic, & sure enough the leader of the gang was lounging on it, surrounded by 3 or 4 of his acolytes. As I got closer I was surprised to see that I knew the guy, sort of - he was dating my then girlfriend's younger sister. I walked straight up to him, smiled, said hello & pointed out that it was my bike he was sitting on. It was hilarious to see him jump off the bike & instantly go from big shot tough guy to bowing, wai-ing, junior.

Mind you, I'm talking about cages, not bikes, but I'll just say the respect Thais show [in the twelve years I've been coming here anyway] for each others' cars while maneuvering, parking & opening doors is exemplary - certainly compared to Americans, who typically could give a sh&t whether they bash your paint getting their large @sses out of their SUVs jammed crosswise into compact car spaces. And a bike in a car space? Fair chance it'll be knocked over for the shear audacity of taking a space. The Thais are very respectful of others property compared to that, at least from what I've seen. But in the US, certainly in San Francisco, nobody gets on anybody else's bike. It doesn't happen.

Odd as thats pretty much the opposite of my impression..

Odd as thats pretty much the opposite of my impression..

I liked to know what part of Thailand that is. Thai's don't care about anyone's personal property. I have several very large scratches on my bike that were caused because a Thai banged my bike with his handlebars parking it too close to mine. I have parked in a parking lot with no other vehicle in it before. When I came out there were two Thai bikes parked so close I could not get to my bike. There were still no other cars in the lot. They just do it to be jerks I think. I have seen no evidence of caring for personal property, space or privacy her at all.

T

I liked to know what part of Thailand that is. Thai's don't care about anyone's personal property. I have several very large scratches on my bike that were caused because a Thai banged my bike with his handlebars parking it too close to mine. I have parked in a parking lot with no other vehicle in it before. When I came out there were two Thai bikes parked so close I could not get to my bike. There were still no other cars in the lot. They just do it to be jerks I think. I have seen no evidence of caring for personal property, space or privacy her at all.

T

ditto

Did they break anything? If not, so what.

You're getting worked up over nothing. Clearly, this wouldn't happen in the west. But we're not in the west. Enjoy the LOS. Life is short, it seems dumb to waste it on "getting angry" over little things. Unless you derive pleasure from that?!

Live and let live ;)

I agree with you in spirit. The problem is that eventually someone will accidentally tip it over, and someone will accidentally scratch it. Do you think some poor kid will wait for you so he can give you $600 to replace you scratched GSRX tank? Or $1000 for scratched plastics and broken fairing stay when the bike falls?

I seriously doubt it.

Also, this does happen in the West as well, but it's not as much in your face. If people get caught doing it, they know they are in the wrong. This is part of the reason why riders put bike covers on their parked bikes. No more unwanted attention.

Had this problem alot over the years Ive been here... Every 'big' bike I've had seems to be a magnet for fookwits.. I've returned from shopping to find moto-taxi types sitting on my Ducati or notice the kill switch has been flipped or the whole bke moved.. It's really bloody annoying. Just resting against it is enough to scratch the paint.. I have clear plastic scratch guards on the sides of the tank but they don't protect it all. I find hand marks on the tank and scuff marks on the seat cover where some short ar5e Thai has swung his leg over it.. They either don't know how much the bike cost or don't care.. If they drop it they will just run off.. I have insurance but that isn't the issue.. Like another poster has said, you don't touch other peoples property.. If back in the UK I found somebody sitting on my bike uninvited they would get some very loud verbal abuse at the least and posibly a good hiding if they weren't apologetic. But in 30 yrs of riding/owning bikes I've never seen in happen in the UK. People knowto look, appreciate and not to touch.. I used to think that poor/less fortunate people would treat something expensive with respect or at least be cautious of it.. But not here.. Wonder how one of the rich HiSo Thais would feel to return to their Lambo convertible to find a farang sitting at the wheel making car noises ?

'Oh sorry dude, thought it was okay as Thais always sit on my bike' If it wasn't for the usual ganged up Thai response I'd be alot more vocal and physical in my response when finding one of the apes on my bike but you have to be careful here and farangs have been beaten close to death for far less.. However I had to front up to three moto guys outside of Central last year after finding one sitting on my my bike off the sidestand.. his legs were barely long enough to hold it upright and he could easily have lost control when trying to get the stand down again.. I came very close to walloping him with my helmet but they were pretty shamefaced when I caught them.. Don't know how it would have ended if they had be rude or beligerent.. (Don't need any warnings I know the risks.. but sometimes you have to stand up for yourself)

Like has been said.. Having anything 'nice; here can be a real pain.. dunno how the Merc and Ferrari owning Thais get on.. But seems that wealthy Thais are feared and 'weathy' farangs only to be taken advantage of.. Normal Thais seem to suffer too.. Cos my girlfriend was very upset after the new car she saved to buy was scratched by some careless <deleted> in the Foodland carpark.. TiT it's a developing country and a % of the population have a lot of developing to do...

I have a Harley and it costs more than my truck. I spent numerous hours on it and I know it draws attention. I usually find people gathering around it and taking pictures with cell phones. I try and park it in out of the way places. I have found a few people rotating the throttle. I usually just look at them and they get the idea. I know that some of you with a cheap old scooter don't care but anyone that has invested time and money (I worked in a hel_l hole to save for that) has a right to be upset. I don't know why the Thais only seem to perpetuate this attitude towards bikes. I guess because most around here are just 10,000 Baht scooters.

• 1 month later...

A few years ago back in the home country I stopped on a ride to get a couple of sandwiches at a shop which I intended to eat at a local park. After purchasing the sandwiches I made my way back to my bike where I found a guy in his earlier 30ies standing next to my bike and he was holding onto his snotty nosed little brat who was sitting on the riders seat and slapping the tank with his grubby little hands. The bike was one of my pride and joys and was gleaming in all its beauty with this filthy little child on its back.

I approached and clearly annoyed said, <deleted> do you think you are doing? The guy replied, "My boy wants to sit on your bike" I said, "I don't care, get him off." I then had several words with this douchebag about what he was doing and during that conversation I established that the car parked nearby was his, it looked like a nice car, so I thought to myself, why the heck not. I walked up to his car, got into the drivers seat and commenced to eat my lunch. I made sure I got those sandwich crumbs everywhere and even managed to spill a bit of my flavoured milk. During the entire time the douchebag stood at the door whining about me and constantly requesting that I get out. A couple of times he threatened to kick over my bike & I clearly pointed out to him that wouldnt be a good option for him.

Anyway, when i finished my lunch, i deposited the rubbish on the floor of his car, wiped my hands on the roof lining and got out and onto my bike. He took my rego number & said he was going to the cops & I just smiled. Never heard anything. Fekkin goose. :lol:

I was always taught to respect other peoples property and believe one shouldnt touch unless envited, so I understand where the OP's at.

Got a foot print on my shiny new leather bags because they wanted to pose for a picture.:annoyed:

Had this problem alot over the years Ive been here... Every 'big' bike I've had seems to be a magnet for fookwits.. I've returned from shopping to find moto-taxi types sitting on my Ducati or notice the kill switch has been flipped or the whole bke moved.. It's really bloody annoying. Just resting against it is enough to scratch the paint.. I have clear plastic scratch guards on the sides of the tank but they don't protect it all. I find hand marks on the tank and scuff marks on the seat cover where some short ar5e Thai has swung his leg over it.. They either don't know how much the bike cost or don't care.. If they drop it they will just run off.. I have insurance but that isn't the issue.. Like another poster has said, you don't touch other peoples property.. If back in the UK I found somebody sitting on my bike uninvited they would get some very loud verbal abuse at the least and posibly a good hiding if they weren't apologetic. But in 30 yrs of riding/owning bikes I've never seen in happen in the UK. People knowto look, appreciate and not to touch.. I used to think that poor/less fortunate people would treat something expensive with respect or at least be cautious of it.. But not here.. Wonder how one of the rich HiSo Thais would feel to return to their Lambo convertible to find a farang sitting at the wheel making car noises ?

'Oh sorry dude, thought it was okay as Thais always sit on my bike' If it wasn't for the usual ganged up Thai response I'd be alot more vocal and physical in my response when finding one of the apes on my bike but you have to be careful here and farangs have been beaten close to death for far less.. However I had to front up to three moto guys outside of Central last year after finding one sitting on my my bike off the sidestand.. his legs were barely long enough to hold it upright and he could easily have lost control when trying to get the stand down again.. I came very close to walloping him with my helmet but they were pretty shamefaced when I caught them.. Don't know how it would have ended if they had be rude or beligerent.. (Don't need any warnings I know the risks.. but sometimes you have to stand up for yourself)

Like has been said.. Having anything 'nice; here can be a real pain.. dunno how the Merc and Ferrari owning Thais get on.. But seems that wealthy Thais are feared and 'weathy' farangs only to be taken advantage of.. Normal Thais seem to suffer too.. Cos my girlfriend was very upset after the new car she saved to buy was scratched by some careless <deleted> in the Foodland carpark.. TiT it's a developing country and a % of the population have a lot of developing to do...

I have a Harley and it costs more than my truck. I spent numerous hours on it and I know it draws attention. I usually find people gathering around it and taking pictures with cell phones. I try and park it in out of the way places. I have found a few people rotating the throttle. I usually just look at them and they get the idea. I know that some of you with a cheap old scooter don't care but anyone that has invested time and money (I worked in a hel_l hole to save for that) has a right to be upset. I don't know why the Thais only seem to perpetuate this attitude towards bikes. I guess because most around here are just 10,000 Baht scooters.

As my TW pointed out, Only a Harley attrcts so much attention. Even a Ferrari gets less attention. I feel for you brother, mine is paid for by money i got from working in this hellhole. :lol:

• 11 months later...

security guards in thailand have the right to sit on ,play with ,adjust ,check ,test ,inspect all aspects of any expensive motor vehicle that gets parked in the car park they are paid to protect

i have often seem them sitting on the cruisers ,twisting throttles ,flooding carbs,grabbing brakes, and testing gear boxes ,bouncing up and down on suspensions

using bikes as chairs or beds to sit lie ,smoke ,eat or drink on etc

often i come back to find my bikes on the centre stand if i left it on the side stand or vice versa

i know if i complain to the manager they will get a bollocking for tampering with bikes it will only result in more bad feeling and my bikes will probably end up scratched or "accidently knocked over " within a few days

i also dont like the idea of having to hide my bikes under rain covers and xena alarms to protect my bike from the very people who are being paid to protect it anyway

i also dont have much time and i want to just jump on and drive sometimes when im a hurry without any time wastiong procedures ......

i doubt there is any perfect solution for this thai mentality of inspecting peoples property in a car park as if it was a item in the big C