Pgce In Uk. Anyone Take The Plunge And Head Home To Do It?

aridion

Hello all. I have returned home to Ireland from Thailand recently and am considering applying for the PGCE in primary education in the U.K for 2011 acceptance. Having spent 5 years teaching in a Bilingual school in Bangkok I have taken the plunge and returned home to get my teacher qualifications. Has anyone on this forum done the same. Which universitys did you choose. Which would you recommend? {I have a 2.2 degree] How did it go for you? Did you return to Thailand to teach after completing the course? Was it easy {or otherwise} to find a decent job at an international schhol in Thailand after you finished your pgce year? Or should I spend a few years working in the U.K to gain qts.

P.S. My main objective for doing the pgce is to attain a decent International School Job in Thailand.

Any Reply would be highly appreciated.

Regards,

Aridion.

Not here for a grammar suggestion Jimbo. I typed this in haste and made a few mistakes. So What?

If you have any worthwhile info. to post, then you are more than welcome. However if this is your sole contribution then you should find somewhere else to post your irrelevant rumblings.

Criticism of grammar is not welcome unless specifically asked for. This is an internet forum, not a university level paper.

Hopefully, some posters with experience will be along to give advice to the OP.

Best of luck.

Aridon

If you contact Nottingham University you will find they actually offer a PGCEI course which is recognized world wide, however due to the course content said course is not recognised as far as I am aware in the U.K.

Seems as if one has to top up a section of the course to be employable within the U.K .

It is possible to actually take the course here in Thailand and at around half the cost of the U.K I hasten to add.

halljimbo.

I am echoing comments already made

Grammar Nazi comments are rather beyond the pale.

Edited by siampolee

I was in the same position as you. I taught in Thailand for 5 years and went back to do a secondary PGCE with the intention of seeking employment in an international school here.

I did mine through the University of Nottingham. The UK course not the international course.

As long as you have completed the PGCE theory, completed the practical observed teaching in university partner schools (I spent a total of 23 weeks in UK schools) and passed the 3 QTS skills tests (maths/English/IT) you are awarded QTS (qualified teacher status). You do the skills tests on computer at certain locations.

You are now a qualified teacher for life. You are now also termed an NQT (newly qualified teacher). To remove this NQT status you have to serve 3 terms at a school and pass.

The NQT induction year is specifically for UK state schools, so if you were going to work in another country or an independent (private) UK school you are not required to do it. Even if you fail the induction (can't repeat it) you still keep QTS and could still work in any school except UK state schools.

If you don't start the induction year, there is no time limit to start and complete it.

I did not do my NQT year or have any post qualification teaching and secured a job at a good international school in Thailand.

However, if you were to ask me for advice, I would suggest doing the NQT year and getting some post qualification experience to increase your chances of seeking the best posts.

Advice from Guru is good. Similar situation, a few years in Thailand went back to the Uni of Sunderland. The girls are prettier there than at Notts. ;)

I would highly recommend the NQT 3 terms. The experience is invaluable. Also because many Brit International schools will specifically state NO NQT's' on their adverts.

You are MUCH more likely to get with a good International once having completed NQT.

Following mine I then spent 2 years in Nigeria at a Brit International. Have now returned to Thailand at a very good school. Cush life now mate with all the ex-pat benefits.

Thanx for all the advice. I think it would be quite a good idea to do a years teaching in the UK after completing my pgce. That is if I can hold back from a quick return to the LOS after the pgce year.

I am thinking about University of East London by the way. Anyone any experience with this place?

Cheers.:jap:

I was just browsing this thread, and it's a good post with good info and advice from 'guru'. Just only...

If you don't start the induction year, there is no time limit to start and complete it.

There is actually a five-year limit on completing the three terms. This happened to a mate of mine who returned the the UK after 9 years in LOS after having originally come as an NQT. He had to repeat the course, though luckily this was in 2004 when Labour were in and the course was free with a training bursary to boot. Lucky git.

All the rest of your advice is spot on though; the best schools recruit from abroad and look for an experienced teacher with proven track-record in a UK school. Ask any UK teacher; the first year in a UK school after you qualify is tough as nails and sets you in good stead. Better to line up a job as soon as possible (some trainees manage before Xmas). Returning from Thailand to do your probabtionary year is not smart; you'll find even being considered for a job a real struggle if you're not around for interviews.

There is actually a five-year limit on completing the three terms. This happened to a mate of mine who returned the the UK after 9 years in LOS after having originally come as an NQT. He had to repeat the course, though luckily this was in 2004

That may have been the case way back then but it does not apply now. There is NO time restriction.

Go to the TDA website and check it out for yourself.

Edited by Phatcharanan

When I completed mine in 2005, the 5 year limit on completion of NQT was still in place. No idea about the rules now.

I'd recommend at least a year teaching in the UK after PGCE anyway. The best international schools often ask for this experience (often 3 years home country experience) and the support you get from your school during your induction year will continue to improve you as a teacher.

When I completed mine in 2005, the 5 year limit on completion of NQT was still in place. No idea about the rules now.

The new regs took effect in September 2008. Also the 3 term induction can be spread over a period longer than a year.

I have pasted the direct quote from the TDA website for your info.

The Education (Induction Arrangements for School Teachers) (England) Regulations 2008 were laid before Parliament on 17 March 2008. These regulations replace the current regulations, and are effective from September 2008.

In summary, from September 2008 the new regulations will:

* enable further education institutions to host induction for newly qualified teachers (NQTs) who have been awarded qualified teacher status, provided the institutions comply with the requirements in regulations and guidance

* provide a clear, up-to-date definition of the induction period applicable to a range of settings and appointments

* allow the appropriate body to shorten the induction period in certain circumstances (as outlined in the regulations) by up to 29 days, taking account of any absences

* allow the General Teaching Council for England (GTCE) one extra day to communicate a decision on an appeal

* remove the requirement to complete induction within five years of starting the induction period

Edited by Phatcharanan

Thanx for all the advice. I think it would be quite a good idea to do a years teaching in the UK after completing my pgce. That is if I can hold back from a quick return to the LOS after the pgce year.

I am thinking about University of East London by the way. Anyone any experience with this place?

Cheers.:jap:

You've got the right idea about acquiring teaching experience in the UK.

To be perfectly honest, in my humble view it matters not a whit where you do the PGCE as long as you acquire one. UEL is probably okay, but do you want to be based in or near London? Expensive in your PGCE year.