Marriage Questions

Gandalf8353

My Thai fiance and I plan to marry in October. I have been trying to make all of the correct preparations in advance to minimize the problems once I am there. I've read in more than one place that the Thai authorities require the "original" copy of the divorce decree if a person has been divorced. I am unable to obtain the "original" as it is on record with the county government in the state where I live. However, I DO have a certified copy with the County Deputy Clerk's stamp and a raised seal certifying it to be a true copy of the original. My fiance and I plan to marry in the Khon Kaen province.

Will the certified document with the county seal be sufficient for the Thai authorities when accompanied by the affidavit from the US Embassy?

If you're an American citizen, here is a link that may help you out.

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/service/marriage.html

Towards the bottom of the page it reads: If either you or your fiance have been previously married the Amphur will want to see proof that prior marriages have been terminated.

It doesn't mention anything about an original document. I would venture to say your certified document will suffice (just smile a lot when you go there). :D However, a check with the Amphur where you will register the marriage will be able to tell you for sure...could you not just go check with them prior to the marriage taking place?

Best of luck you you!

Shivers,

Thank you so much for our reply. I am still Stateside, so I will have to ask my intended to visit the Amphur in her area. I, like you, believe that what I have should be sufficient, but want to take no chances.

Again, thank you for your reply.

You're very welcome. Like you, I too have been looking into the whole marriage ordeal. Thankfully, I still have a year before I take the plunge, so that's plenty of time to get everything together. Whenever you deal with a Thai government official, just smile a lot...I've noticed a genuine smile and non-threatening posture can get you far in Thailand when it comes to getting things done.

Thank you! Yes, in the past journeys to the LOS I've noticed that being polite goes a long way. I really love that about Thailand. Nobody is rude! Congratulations, by the way. I wish you both every happiness. God permitting, my terak and I will be married around October 11. All I need before I leave is my passport, everything else seems to be in order.

If you're an American citizen, here is a link that may help you out.

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/service/marriage.html

Towards the bottom of the page it reads: If either you or your fiance have been previously married the Amphur will want to see proof that prior marriages have been terminated.

It doesn't mention anything about an original document. I would venture to say your certified document will suffice (just smile a lot when you go there). :D However, a check with the Amphur where you will register the marriage will be able to tell you for sure...could you not just go check with them prior to the marriage taking place?

Best of luck you you!

If your planning to live in Thailand, getting married here is fine, but if your planning to take your fiance to the states to live, it's much better to do a Fiance Visa initiated from the States. The reason being if your married in Thailand, it's much more difficult to get her an immigrant visa from here.

Barry

If your planning to live in Thailand, getting married here is fine, but if your planning to take your fiance to the states to live, it's much better to do a Fiance Visa initiated from the States. The reason being if your married in Thailand, it's much more difficult to get her an immigrant visa from here.

Barry

Like Gandalf, I too plan on living in Thailand and only going to the States to visit family on occasion. What you posted is good information for others though.

Shivers and Ganal sound like good bother in-laws ?

Our prospective wifes are from different villages, so we won't be brother-in-laws, but he seems like a good guy.

Thank you! Yes, in the past journeys to the LOS I've noticed that being polite goes a long way. I really love that about Thailand. Nobody is rude! Congratulations, by the way. I wish you both every happiness. God permitting, my terak and I will be married around October 11. All I need before I leave is my passport, everything else seems to be in order.

I wish you a lot of good luck, Gandalf. You may be advised at some point on this forum to move very slowly and very carefully with your arrangements--even so far as to take years rather than months in order to be really, really sure. I was so advised once upon a time. Of course, I didn't listen...

BTW, the divorce decree copy with the county clerk's stamp and raised seal is all that you need. That's what the courthouse sends you when you order a copy. So you already have exactly what they provide (for a significant fee).

I wish you a lot of good luck, Gandalf. You may be advised at some point on this forum to move very slowly and very carefully with your arrangements--even so far as to take years rather than months in order to be really, really sure. I was so advised once upon a time. Of course, I didn't listen...

BTW, the divorce decree copy with the county clerk's stamp and raised seal is all that you need. That's what the courthouse sends you when you order a copy. So you already have exactly what they provide (for a significant fee).

Thank you! I do appreciate the advice. We've known each other for nearly a year now, and after speaking to several people who know her I feel quite confident in her. (but all the same, the butterflies are still there) Funny thing is, it's taken me longer to decide about this than any other "so called marriages" that I've been in with a "falang women". I think this time it's more a matter of maturity and wanting to be VERY sure that I am doing the right thing. It has nothing at all to do with her. I wish I'd married someone like her the first time around. But, then we all live and learn I think. Myself slower than others, it appears.

Added: My certified copy of my divorce decree cost me $19.00 US. I think I got lucky. Also, thanks for letting me know that what I have will be sufficient. That takes a little bit of concern out of the mix.

Appreciated your reply!

Gandalf

Edited by Gandalf8353