Disrespect For Law The Root Of Thailand's Woes: Chuan

webfact

Quite ironic considering Chuan's brother Raluek allegedly embezzled millions from the bank and fled to Taiwan until the statute of limitations expired to escape punishment.

Or he has never been caught

But Chuan has been caught. He was found guilty of concealing assets by the National Counter Corruption Commission.

I don't recall anyone ever accusing Chuan of any corruption. He is considered to be one of the most honest PM's Thailand has ever had. Back up your statement with a fact or two.

See above.

Edited by Oberkommando

But Chuan has been caught. He was found guilty of concealing assets by the National Counter Corruption Commission.

Can you provide a pointer or details which allows further investigation by posters here?

Can you provide a pointer or details which allows further investigation by posters here?

A quick search doesn't provide details (which may say more about my search abilities). Provide details or be prepared to retract your remark!

It is hypocritical that after he has made his riches be comes out and bangs the everyone should respect the law drum. The problem is these politicians are so deep into their mansions and mercedes, they have no other choice but to keep going. WIthout money there is no power, so the never ending quest to make as much money as possible, anyway possible will always overrule any moral conscious in this country.

Suggest you check your facts. Chuan is on record as one of the poorest people ever to enter Thai politicis and he left in the same state.

<br />
<br />But Chuan has been caught. He was found guilty of concealing assets by the National Counter Corruption Commission.<br /><br />
<br /><br />This may well be true but I do not recall ever reading about this.  Do you have a source?<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Never hear of Wiki? Proof and link to the proof are all there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuan_Leekpai

"Disrespect For Law The Root Of Thailand's Woes". Chuan should tell it in the face of the Yellow Protesters during the S.O.E. in front of govt house.

As well as tell it in the face of the Red Protesters during the S.O.E. in Bangkok's Santiphap Park yesterday.

r2807978858.jpg

This may well be true but I do not recall ever reading about this. Do you have a source?

He was given a few shares in a local cooperative when it opened years ago and forgot to mention them in an assets declaration.

he said he had forgotten about them.

The value was minimal.

<br />
<br />But Chuan has been caught. He was found guilty of concealing assets by the National Counter Corruption Commission.<br /><br />
<br /><br />This may well be true but I do not recall ever reading about this. Do you have a source?<br />
<br /><br /><br />

http://en.wikipedia....i/Chuan_Leekpai

From the Encyclopedia Brittanica: Thailand: Year In Review 2000 (sourced from Wikipedia article on Chuan):

" The Constitutional Court found Sanan guilty and banished him from political life for five years. The National Countercorruption Commission also found evidence of undeclared shareholdings by 10 cabinet ministers. Even Chuan, who was known as the "Mr. Clean" of Thai politics, was found to have been given shares in a rural cooperative—though evidently without his knowledge." (My italics)

This may well be true but I do not recall ever reading about this. Do you have a source?

He was given a few shares in a local cooperative when it opened years ago and forgot to mention them in an assets declaration.

he said he had forgotten about them.

The value was minimal.

That sounds familiar. Maybe I did read something about that. Thanks for jogging the memory.

<br />

http://en.wikipedia....i/Chuan_Leekpai

From the Encyclopedia Brittanica: Thailand: Year In Review 2000 (sourced from Wikipedia article on Chuan):

" The Constitutional Court found Sanan guilty and banished him from political life for five years. The National Countercorruption Commission also found evidence of undeclared shareholdings by 10 cabinet ministers. Even Chuan, who was known as the "Mr. Clean" of Thai politics, was found to have been given shares in a rural cooperative—though evidently without his knowledge." (My italics)

So some like to put K. Chuan on the same level as K. Thaksin, who also made an honest mistake years ago. Judge for yourself how these cases compare.

In his first asset-concealment case in 2001, Thaksin narrowly escaped impeachment when the Constitution Court cleared him in a controversial ruling. Thaksin concealed his assets via his household maids. He admitted to making an “honest mistake”.

not only that, he also said

"I had no intention to conceal my assets," Thaksin told the 14 judges, his voice at times shaking with emotion.

"I simply did not understand the asset forms. It was purely an honest mistake."

"Do I deserve to be destroyed as a politician?" Thaksin said during his 20-minute statement.

"It's just impossible for me to keep track of my wealth. This is a technical error."

"The errors could be attributed to an oversight, not an intention to hide my wealth," he said.

The value was minimal. Why did Samark got kickout? I think the value was minimal. The LAW is the LAW. Regardless of value.

The accusations were different, different laws involved. What you probably try to say is that if K. Chuan got sentenced by the NCCC K. Thaksin should have as well.

Yeah, well...ya gotta love this. Charles Rangel, US House of Representatives and Chairman of the House Ways and Means committee (the one who deals with the tax laws), was investigated for not including on his taxes rental income from an apartment in the Dominican Republic. Now, the've got him up on 13 charges. Some pretty serious.

His initial excuse was he didn't understand the tax law. He is the HEAD of the tax committee for the US!!!! Looks like he is going down hard....

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2010-07-30-rangel30_ST_N.htm

So corruption happens everywhere....sad, but true...

Yeah, well...ya gotta love this. Charles Rangel, US House of Representatives and Chairman of the House Ways and Means committee (the one who deals with the tax laws), was investigated for not including on his taxes rental income from an apartment in the Dominican Republic. Now, the've got him up on 13 charges. Some pretty serious.

His initial excuse was he didn't understand the tax law. He is the HEAD of the tax committee for the US!!!! Looks like he is going down hard....

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2010-07-30-rangel30_ST_N.htm

So corruption happens everywhere....sad, but true...

In the USA it may take a while, but eventually people get caught or exposed and handled. Both truth and lies will catch up with you eventually. Here in Thailand on the other hand ...

The value was minimal. Why did Samark got kickout? I think the value was minimal. The LAW is the LAW. Regardless of value.

Samak was removed as PM but he had the right to immediately stand again for the post, which he did.

But Thaksin thought he was too independent so he instructed his minions, sorry I meant honourable MPs, to fought for his spineless brother-in-law Somchai Wongsasawat instead.

Samak was guilty of conflict of interest, getting money from a 'concessionaire supplier',

under his control as PM because they got their income from National TV,

and he was above the TV license department.

His own lawyers told him he would be in violation, and he ignored them.

In this case it was his INTENT, and position of control and not the amount.

Plus his perjury in court didn't help.

• 2 weeks later...

I know this is off topic but does anyone know why that every time I open my browser (Firefox) I open this page?

I have deleted ALL history and cookies. I have tried to delete this tab. Reset my homepage but still this page opens every time.