Thailand's Tuk Tuk Ranked No.5 Of The World Best Taxi

webfact

'Tuk Tuk' Thailand ranked no.5 of the World Best Taxi by 'hotel.com'

med_gallery_327_1086_11205.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) -- Three-wheel ‘Tuk Tuk’ a well known taxi of Thailand has been ranked 5th in “The World Best Taxi” arranged by a tourism website ‘hotel.com’.

Following a survey in random of more than 1,900 travelers during 11-28 May this year about the best taxi they ever met, London taxi was voted number one best taxi in the world for three years in a row with a score of 59%. London taxi drivers have been complimented as the best in friendliness and route skill as they are fully trained before gaining the licenses.

Ranking second is the yellow taxi in New York of the US with a score of 27%, up by 10% from last year, while the third to the fifth titles are Tokyo taxi of Japan at 26%, taxi in Berlin, Germany at 17% and three-wheel ‘Tuk Tuk’ a kind of taxi in Bangkok, Thailand, at 14%.

The World Best taxi has been ranked by several factors involved including cleanliness, service charge, driving quality, route skills, friendliness, safety and availability.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2010-08-07 footer_n.gif

• Like 2

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the Tuk Tuks...but only for one ride a year or so! I can't believe the criteria:

The World Best taxi has been ranked by several factors involved including cleanliness, service charge, driving quality, route skills, friendliness, safety and availability.

Cleanliness? Forget it!

Service charge? Way more than an AC taxi!

Driving quality? Some of them are crazy!

Route skills? Sure, as they can go just about anywhere.

Friendliness? OK.

Safety? You've got to be kidding?

Availability. OK.

Had to be voted on by visitors who are only here for 2-3 days.

A tuk tuk in Thailand rates, while bowing to the professional service of the legendary London taxi 'mam', and the Yankie Yellow Cab. But a tuk tuk rates. For the Chaing Mai ฿200 for 10 minute "your taking the p!ss" 3km attempt there is the ฿500 for the day taking you around rural Isaan "sight seeing and feasting" that makes up for it in heaps. They should be trying for a few spots higher.

Same reason by Bangkok is voted best city, THAI voted best airlines. You figure it out

Easy to answer that one, TIT, Land Of Smiles and the Land and Hub Of Bull Shi*.. :hit-the-fan:

:crazy:

Tuk Tuks okay but to say no 5 in the world...OH my dog.... :bah:

Edited by MB1

I've stopped even asking for a price from TukTuk drivers, they are always more expensive than A/C taxis. Then the potential of being taken to some dark street or on a shopping tour - no thanks.

This is just a tourist propaganda piece. It's actually dangerous. Thailand should be warning people not to take these things.

Funny, I personally feel that Thai Taxi Meters are one of the best if not the best in South East Asia. This article claims that Tuk Tuk;s are better than Taxi Meter, huh!

Then again this article is from the Thai National News Bureau, if it was printed on paper I would probably use it to line the bottom of a Birds nest. Total hogwash.

If you live here the Taxi Meter is great, though I wish they had seat belts in the back seats. For visitors it can be different - Mysteriously broken meters or just won't turn them on, can't figure out where you want go & when they do figure it out won't go because it's too far or their shift is finishing etc

Best? - or just the most recognisable taxis?

Spot on

4 of 5 are easily to recognize

London Taxi, Yellow Cab, Tuk Tuk and Mercedes Taxi

Correct me if I am wrong, but I recall taxi drivers in Japan wear white cloves and a hat

to give the look of chauffeurs

Title should be "worlds most recognizable taxis"

Think it's because for a wealthy tourist here for a week, who would be answering this survey, paying 200 baht for a tuk tuk, which would cost 60 baht in a comfortable air conditioned taxi, is seen as fun and exotic and even cheap since they have no clue how much real prices are and it's cheaper than at home.

I guess these travelers never had a Bangkok Tuk Tuk take them to the "Happy Buddha" for 300 baht(there is no Happy Buddha). I've been ripped off by Tuk Tuks in Bangkok and I've talked to other travelers about their Tuk Tuk horror stories. Now, the Tuk Tuks in Chiang Mai are great. Used them often and always got a great fare, plus it's kinda fun.

When I set in the back of a Tuk Tuk I can't see a darn thing. My head is bent over at the neck, and even if I bend down enough to see out from under the top - still I can't see a thing. Noise, fumes, and a driver that often smells just as bad. No meter and really they ether fake it or don't know where most things are.

Novelty wore off long ago, about two minutes into my first ride. I ll take a real taxi - Thank you.

Spot on

Correct me if I am wrong, but I recall taxi drivers in Japan wear white cloves and a hat

The Japanese taxi drivers are fantastic. But the rates are crazy expensive. I love how they open the door for you automatically! But getting them to find a specific location can be very hard.

I dont believe this POST. Its impossible. When it rains you get wetter in a TT than simply walking in the rain. There isnt one single positive thing you can say about the worlds worst mode of public transport.

agreed.

Same reason by Bangkok is voted best city, THAI voted best airlines. You figure it out

You can't have travelled outside Thailand to make a stupid comment llike that.. Thai airways-old delapidated fleet, tired and over priced (just like many things in Thailand). Tuk Tuk- same same as Thai air.. Bangkok Best City- What a joke that is..consistant fighting, killing each other and burning down buildings and looting.. Yeah right.. Best City- Dirty, smelly, unhighgenic, highly dangerous, rat infested, sewer.. that's sinking day by day.. I was walking down soi chidlom 4 weeks ago as they were putting 12 inches of tarmac down over the existing concrete, soon the road will be equal with the 3rd floor of my condo.

Bangkok has gone down in the ratings so have Thai airways and Tuk Tuk's, they probably did a survey with 20 thai people and took those results for their poll.. Many Thai's don't ever leave Thailand so this is why they have such a narrow minded veiw, they believe that Thailand is the best because that's what they are told.

Thailand treats farang with contempt, we are discrimminated against daily in all aspects of life here, if all the farang went home Thailand would impload on itself, that is if it hasn't already..

Happy holidays..

It would be nice if people would read the article before posting there prejudices. The article was about travelers opinion's about the whole world. Not Bangkok residents opinions of traveling around Bangkok.

I live in Thailand and use Tuk Tuk's at least twice a week and have never paid more than 100 baht unless I asked them to hang around and take me back home.

I have used the metered cab at least once a week and have never paid less than 120 baht.

It is fairly obvious that most not all of the posters have no knowledge of the world out side of there own back yard and are quick to deny the possibility of what is not in there back yard.

What a joke that survey is!

Obviously no one has ever been to Hong Kong.

Here you get a comfortable air con taxi for a flag fall of HK$18 (B74),which covers most short trips, most drivers have a good knowledge of English and know their way around.

The very idea that they would not turn on the meter is unthinkable.

Spot on

And probably that was the title indeed but just changed little bit to lift superior thailand into the spotlight.

Another example of news getting skewed when it is in the hands of a Thai government news organisation. The poll wasnt anything to do with tuk-tuk's - it was about taxis.

Other news reports mention that Bangkok, 'famed for it's tuk-tuks' came fifth. But as with the previous year's polls, it's about real taxis, not tuk-tuks.

Looks like someone in the govt news agency decided to tinker with the wording and give 5th place to the tuk-tuks. Good for national pride if nothing else.

It would be nice if people would read the article before posting there prejudices. The article was about travelers opinion's about the whole world. Not Bangkok residents opinions of traveling around Bangkok.

I live in Thailand and use Tuk Tuk's at least twice a week and have never paid more than 100 baht unless I asked them to hang around and take me back home.

I have used the metered cab at least once a week and have never paid less than 120 baht.

It is fairly obvious that most not all of the posters have no knowledge of the world out side of there own back yard and are quick to deny the possibility of what is not in there back yard.

Wow...you must be a good negotiator! I have never had a tuk tuk for less than 100B...and rarely paid more than 100B for an AC ride in a taxi. Try getting a tuk tuk anywhere near one of the tourist areas...total rip off. I lived near MBK and they were always trying to scam us. We just gave up. Easier to say "meter!" rather than try and negotiate a price with the tuk tuk guys....just my experiences....

Though doing a wheelie at 3am was fun...had to do it at least 1 time!