Heavy Vehicles In Thailand

I have ridden all around Thailand and seen trucks on the road at all times. Also if you have seen just how much they can get on the back of a pick up I can't see them enforcing a load limit. I think the limit is " if you can get it on the back its legal "

I have seen pick ups driving with so much in the back that the front wheels come off the road at the slightest bump. You also tend to see them laid on their sides after trying to do a U turn to fast.

Most roads alow trucks 24 hours, and there is no limit on one drivers hours. Some local roads, like due to amount of traffic over a hill, deny trucks over 5 ton between 07-09 and 16-19. Some parts of BKK is not allowd for trucks over 5 ton at all to reduce pollution and traffic

Weight limits are announced by signes on the roads, and weight stations are frequent. Most overload and pay fines if caught, and damage left lane substantially. Pickups are limited to one ton (1000kg), but are often loaded 1,5 ton.

Most overload and pay fines if caught, and damage left lane substantially.

And as soon as there comes a damaged section up on the highway, all trucks will automatically change to the right lane for better comfort of the driver. Any use of indicators in this operation is discouraged. :angry:

I know a certain Air Conditioning manufacturer here who brings in compressors from China, a container is limited to 16 Ton on the truck, problem is, thats only half full then, it can fit 32 ton of compressors in it, 400thb per truck is a lot cheaper than double the amount of containers, around 40 containers per month instead of 80. Any wonder the roads are crap.