Wireless Usb Adapter Dropping Out

neverdie

Hi,

Recently I bought a Wireless USB adaptor for my desktop computer as I relocated the PC and it is not close to a telephone outlet or suitable to run a telephone line to.

The adaptor works great UNTIL our laptop is turned on and connects to the internet. Each and everytime this occurs the desktop drops its connection and is unable to reconnect. To reconnect the desktop I have to disconnect the laptop and turn off the wireless router/modem (disconnect it from the power) for 15 secs etc etc.

Its definately NOT a problem with the router as whenever the desktop drops out (after connecting the notebook) the notebook's connection works fine, as does the telephones.

So far I have changed the USB Adapter between all 6 available USB ports on the desktop but the result is always the same. Reception between the desktop and router is GOOD and there is never a problem unless the notebook connects to the internet.

Has anyone got any ideas to fix this problem or had any similar experiences/suggestions?

:( ps: I did google the problem and read through heaps of disconnect problems but couldnt find anything that matched this problem.

Had this problem with my old wireless router.

It broke down and when I bought a new one I had never this problem again.

Try connect your notebook at a free wireless zone somewhere and see if it's a router problem.

• Like 1

Try connect your notebook at a free wireless zone somewhere and see if it's a router problem.

NO, its not a router problem. Perhaps I didnt write the OP too well. There is NO PROBLEM connecting any notebook, the desktop via USB wireless or even the telephone to the router. The router works really well.

The only problem is when the desktop is connect and then the notebook connects the desktop drops out (is kicked off? ) and CANNOT reconnect until the notebook has disconnected (& modem reset). Other than that, numerous notebooks and telephones can all connect at once (if they have the password) and there is NO PROBLEM, that is with exception of what happens with the desktop.

:(

My experience in this regard:

We have one PC upstairs using WiFi and it works great though this PC is seldom used.

Whenever my son has a certain friend (other friend's Laptops do not cause this problem) over with his Laptop and connects it via our WiFi the connection to the PC with WiFi drops out.

This is no problem for us since it is a rare occasion.

My uneducated thoughts about this:

Could it be that either Laptop or PC are set to a fixed WiFi channel or a fixed IP address both of which could cause this kind of problem.

opalhort

• Like 1

NO, its not a router problem. Perhaps I didnt write the OP too well. There is NO PROBLEM connecting any notebook, the desktop via USB wireless or even the telephone to the router. The router works really well.

The only problem is when the desktop is connect and then the notebook connects the desktop drops out (is kicked off? ) and CANNOT reconnect until the notebook has disconnected (& modem reset). Other than that, numerous notebooks and telephones can all connect at once (if they have the password) and there is NO PROBLEM, that is with exception of what happens with the desktop.

Go to 'TCP/IP Properties' network connection or wireless adapter and make sure both are not set with the same IP address (192.168.xx.xx format). No two devices can have the same IP address. One will be kick off the network.

• Like 1

^ Yes, thats more in line with what I am thinking about it opalhort, but keep in mind that I'm really quite hopeless with all this technology and don't know how to go about adjusting stuff so this doesnt happen.

When i was searching google, I read one guy who reported that whenever he turned on his TV (online) it forced his desktop off the connection & that had something to do with the two ot them sharing a channel. That information was a couple of years old and there was no explanation of what he did to rectify the problem.

Anyway, what to do? :( :(

Go to 'TCP/IP Properties' network connection or wireless adapter and make sure both are not set with the same IP address (192.168.xx.xx format). No two devices can have the same IP address. One will be kick off the network.

trogers, sorry i am a simpleton. You are probably right about this. I thought every device running through MY ROUTER would have the same IP address.

I will boot up the notebook soon, but if they both have the same IP address, how do I change that. Can I just create a new IP address or what?

Sorry mate, i only learnt years ago how to turn on a pc & all this time later I feel I still havent learnt that much, except how to bugger them up :blink:

trogers, sorry i am a simpleton. You are probably right about this. I thought every device running through MY ROUTER would have the same IP address.

I will boot up the notebook soon, but if they both have the same IP address, how do I change that. Can I just create a new IP address or what?

Sorry mate, i only learnt years ago how to turn on a pc & all this time later I feel I still havent learnt that much, except how to bugger them up :blink:

My PC is doing torrents, and so I fixed it with an IP address to do port forward.

My laptop is also used outside my home and it is set to 'Obtain an IP address automatically' to enable ease of connecting to some hotspot.

If you are using Window 7, go to Control Panel, Network and Sharing Center. Then change adapter settings. If both are wireless, click right on Wireless Network Connection and select 'Properties'.

Click on 'Internet Protocol Version 4' and then clikc the 'Properties' button. Then make your correct selections.

If you do not run torrents or do port forward, set both the PC and notebook to 'Obtain an IP address automatically'.

• Like 1

okay, thanks trogers, i have done that to the desktop, actually it was already set at Interneet Protocol version 4, as 'Obtain an IP address automatically' so now i will turn on the notebook and do the same.

UNFORTUNATELY when I turn on the notebook I will disappear from here for a while, as i go around in circles being disconnected from the internet etc. Will check the notebook settings and comeback to TV on it.

many thanks

Edited by neverdie

My PC is doing torrents, and so I fixed it with an IP address to do port forward.

My laptop is also used outside my home and it is set to 'Obtain an IP address automatically' to enable ease of connecting to some hotspot.

If you are using Window 7, go to Control Panel, Network and Sharing Center. Then change adapter settings. If both are wireless, click right on Wireless Network Connection and select 'Properties'.

Click on 'Internet Protocol Version 4' and then clikc the 'Properties' button. Then make your correct selections.

If you do not run torrents or do port forward, set both the PC and notebook to 'Obtain an IP address automatically'.

If both PC and notebook are already set to 'Obtain an IP address automatically', then log into your router and make sure its DHCP server function is enabled.

• Like 1

trogers, i just checked both the desktop and the notebook and they both are already set the way you describe above.

Make sure the DHCP server of the router is enabled for the router to issue different IP addresses to connecting devices.

• Like 1

the only way ive ever checked my isp address is through my providers http address & I always thought that any computer using this locations router must have the same address, but obviously i am wrong.

im even more confused than when i started out with this problem, it would be nice to have been born and raised in the pc time or perhaps i shouldnt of stuck my head in the sand when they first come along :lol: , bloody fool

Go to your router's DHCP setup and reserve a local IP address for your desktop. Do the same for your laptop. Voila - no IP conflict.

okay, i found that, just goto work out how to reserve a local IP addy for the desktop.

Edited by neverdie

the only way ive ever checked my isp address is through my providers http address & I always thought that any computer using this locations router must have the same address, but obviously i am wrong.

im even more confused than when i started out with this problem, it would be nice to have been born and raised in the pc time or perhaps i shouldnt of stuck my head in the sand when they first come along :lol: , bloody fool

In the eyes of your ISP's internet network, you are using only one WAN (Wide Area Network) IP address, and it is being used by your router.

Your multiple computers connect to the router's own network, which is a LAN (Local Area Network) network. So your computers will be issued LAN IP addresses, usually in the format of 192.168.xx.xx

Your router connects to your ISP by contacting your ISP's DHCP server for a WAN IP address.

Your computers connect to the router by asking the router's DHCP server for their LAN IP addresses.

• Like 1

^ohh man, you have explained that so well.

sorry, you might understand all these little DHCP, LAN, WAN, LWAN, TIT, IP, NEEDTOTAKEUPDRINKING, etc etc can get very confusing for the novice.

Now for the strange bit, I havent changed any settings but both the NOTEBOOK and DESKTOP are both connected, the notebook didnt boot the desktop off this time. I also checked my current pool summary (CPS):lol: and the two devices have different IP address by 1 digit.

All week this has been driving me nuts, I wonder what changed it?

sorry, you might understand all these little DHCP, LAN, WAN, LWAN, TIT, IP, NEEDTOTAKEUPDRINKING, etc etc can get very confusing for the novice.

Now for the strange bit, I havent changed any settings but both the NOTEBOOK and DESKTOP are both connected, the notebook didnt boot the desktop off this time. I also checked my current pool summary (CPS):lol: and the two devices have different IP address by 1 digit.

You can avoid a conflict of LAN IP address in the future by setting a fixed IP address for the PC, as earlier mentioned.

To view the IP addresses both your PC and notebook are now connected, you can use the DOS command IPCONFIG /ALL

Click 'Start' and type cmd and press enter. A black DOS window will pop up. Type the DOS command and press enter. The connection IP addresses and properties will be listed.

Choose an IP address of higher value to be set to your PC, say if it is 192.168.1.2 now, set a fixed IP address for the PC at 192.168.1.12.

Your notebook will most probably be assigned 192.168.1.2 or 3 when it connects to the router in the future. Thus no more conflict.

• Like 1

SOMETHING STRANGE

After all that, I was just sitting there reading your replies and I got booted on the desktop, meanwhile the notebook was just sitting there, everything OKAY. Mai Ko-jai? :annoyed:

I had to disconnect the notebook and then BANG, im back online on the desktop again. I don't understand what is happening, moreso tonight why they were both connected for half an hour or so, everything okay, then the problem returns. :angry: ohh dear :(

You can avoid a conflict of LAN IP address in the future by setting a fixed IP address for the PC, as earlier mentioned.

To view the IP addresses both your PC and notebook are now connected, you can use the DOS command IPCONFIG /ALL

Click 'Start' and type cmd and press enter. A black DOS window will pop up. Type the DOS command and press enter. The connection IP addresses and properties will be listed.

Choose an IP address of higher value to be set to your PC, say if it is 192.168.1.2 now, set a fixed IP address for the PC at 192.168.1.12.

Your notebook will most probably be assigned 192.168.1.2 or 3 when it connects to the router in the future. Thus no more conflict.

okay, im going to try this now. thanks

Okay, I just went into the cmd & put the command in, but once in there I cannot change anything. Out of interest, I checked both PC's and they have different IP addresses, but as soon as i connect the notebook the desktop is KICKED OFF, same as the last week.

It must be something else. :unsure:

Are you getting any error messages from windows when you get kicked from the network? Have you tried diagnosing the connection? If so, what kind of error messages is it giving you?

Last night when I was getting booted off I did the diagnostic stuff and always got the same messages, two of which were recommending I turn off the router, disconnect from power & then attempt to connect. After doing this I could connect everytime as long as the notebook was offline. ACTUALLY NEVER HAVE A PROBLEM WHEN THE NOTEBOOK IS OFFLINE.

There was another message, reset the network adaptor which I did, none of it made an iota of difference.

Tonight ive been busy with you guys and you much appreciated help. This is beyond me and I really didnt want to start ringing the USB people or whatever because you know how that goes :ermm:

You know the strange thing about this, is tonight the problem isnt consistent. A couple of times I have been able to stay online on the desktop after the notebook has connected for anywhere up to half an hour before i get booted, then other times I get disconnected immediately.

Yesterday & actually every day for the last 10 days I was getting booted almost instantly the notebook connected.

As I say, I have moved the USB wireless device around the various USB ports on my pc and always get the same result. Ive got tonnes of other gear here that can connect to usb & all my ports work for other stuff.

Im starting to suspect something is a bit sus about this USB Wireless device, although its software always tells me i have good signal strength and connection etc. But then, whenever i just use the desktop, its faultless :blink:

my head hurts and i havent eaten, so i might slash my wrists take myself out for a feed somewhere .

CHEERS, I really appreciate it and I will continue on my search for the problem and report back, if I could I would reconnect the telephone line but ive changed buildings. :(