Web Hosting - Best Deal?

Merlin

Hi all,

I have an idea for a web site - can anyone recommend a good company for hosting/domain name registering? I need something cheap just to get started quickly.

What's the best deal you've heard of lately?

Hi all,

I have an idea for a web site - can anyone recommend a good company for hosting/domain name registering? I need something cheap just to get started quickly.

What's the best deal you've heard of lately?

www.godaddy.com (domain name registering)

www.routhost.com (hosting)

Yahoo will trap you. Be careful.

I've had or worked with about 25 hosts over the past 11 years and jatol.com and hostingonnet.com are the best I've seen.

Do your own research, starting from (true) third-party review sites like findmyhosting.com

I have been using this company for nearly 4 years now for my commerce site.  Price $7.95/month and excellent service, free domain name registration.

http://www.ipowerweb.com/

Wow, that is very good: 3GB of disk space and 50GB of bandwidth for $8 a month!!! However, that may be overkill for the OP who probably needs only 1/10th of this and can find even cheaper to meet his needs. Try this message board for finding plans and learning about all types of hosting infos:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com

One thing with web hosting - you do get what you pay for. The rock bottom hosts have rock bottom service. I suggest trying someone mid-range.

While it is possible if you blindly sign up the cheapest plan you can find you'll end up on some college student's PC in a dorm, my experience is price is not the key factor in selecting a web host. I would say reputation and longetivity are the most important factors. I've tried numerous hosting companies over the years with plans as high as $25 a month, but they don't hold a candle to my current $5 package which is better and cheaper than any I have tried with better service too. I would say when selecting a plan, search for user feedback on them plus see how long they have been around. This is because hosting companies normally quote 99.9% uptime and 24/7 support, but often fail to deliver either. If you want reliability, go with a company that monitors and posts their uptime to prove they are reliable as they say. And while some web hosts may try to wow you by claiming super fast internet connections like OC3, you might be a little dismayed when you are sharing the connection with thousands of other hungry web sites and get very poor performance. It pays to do the research. The message board I alluded to earlier is good such resource.