Cannabis

grizley

Hi i got caught with a joint on koh phangan. Ive already paid a lawyer 65k, he told me to expect a 5k fine on court day. What punishment should i expect?. If i leave thailand will i be able to re-enter?. How long will i have a record for?

Edited by grizley

"What punishment should i expect?."

"...he told me to expect a 5k fine on court day."

"Ive already paid a lawyer 65k..."

You don't believe your lawyer? What did you get for 65K?

i got out of a holding cell. he said he would smooth everything over and no jail time etc etc. its just that ive been reading old forums on this and people say its depends on judge on the day?

I don't know what u have to expect put i truly wish u good luck in court and if you free to go please let us know here @ TV what was your final punishment.

Ocourse, if we not hear from u anything than we know it --> Jail don't have Internet access.

Edited by Lammbock

Too many factors to say exactly what you will receive from the judge but in case you do get a fine take a pile of money with you to court.....as you will be locked up if you can't pay immediately!

5k Baht seems very low to me....expect more like 50k....but just a guess really.

Too many factors to say exactly what you will receive from the judge but in case you do get a fine take a pile of money with you to court.....as you will be locked up if you can't pay immediately!

5k Baht seems very low to me....expect more like 50k....but just a guess really.

Maximum fine will be 100 thou according to the Thai Narcotics Act.

Maximum jail time will be 5 years :whistling:

Check section 76 http://en.oncb.go.th/document/Narcotics%20Act%20B.E.2522%20p10-40.pdf

Don't listen too much the others.

Usually after the bail you get a sospended jail term and pay a fine and they will give you back your passport (or you take back your passport from your Embassy, I'm not sure). To come back in Thailand I think you pay another fine for the immigration and you can come back anytime.

Careful with your lawyer, sometimes he/she just take your money and don't come in Tribunal too, so you have to pay another one or you go back jail...

Good Luck!

P.S.: I'm in KPG too, where did they get you? When did they set the hearing? You should also take care of your visa if expire.

Usually after the bail you get a sospended jail term and pay a fine and they will give you back your passport (or you take back your passport from your Embassy, I'm not sure). To come back in Thailand I think you pay another fine for the immigration and you can come back anytime.

Careful with your lawyer, sometimes he/she just take your money and don't come in Tribunal too, so you have to pay another one or you go back jail...

Good Luck!

P.S.: I'm in KPG too, where did they get you? When did they set the hearing? You should also take care of your visa if expire.

between haad yo and tongsala

Good Luck!

between haad yo and tongsala, it turns out they were stopping all afternoon. after i got caught they went back on checkpoint duty and caught some french people for the same thing.

i would not pay that much to the lawyer, how much did you offer the police when you where caught?

will you be appearing at the court in Samui? , if so all depends on the judge, but could be a few months in Samui Prison or a heafty fine..

Couldn't you pay your way out and safe yourself the hassle of going to court?

i did try but not an option , 3 officers and one angry captain at road-block!

Same happened to my friends brother ,they caught him on koh phangan a few year ago smoking a joint .

banged him up for a few days until he came up with some money but he was skint as it was coming to the end of is holiday.

had to phone is brother to deposit 100,000 baht into is account he payed the BIB ..hey presto, no paper work, no charges no court,smile.gif

Nowa days it might not be so easy to bribe them and it might take more money also..

And it is all about how you go a bout dealing with this situation also .

if you treat it like you are back home and speak to the BIB like cum on man its only one <deleted> joint. then you are in deep shit

Then i think no amount of money will pay them off and maybe you might have pissed them off and thats why you could not bribe them whistling.gif

Edited by welsh1

Normally it is a 2,500 baht fine and probation.<BR>Probation for a farang is normally that you just don't get into any more trouble for some time.<BR>You will be permitted to re-enter Thailand.<BR>Show remorse, be polite and dress to the 9's.<BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>( from the lips of my uncle who is one of the top dawgs of the Narcotics Control Board..)

Couldn't you pay your way out and safe yourself the hassle of going to court?

i did try but not an option , 3 officers and one angry captain at road-block!

I've always wondered, how do you actually go about bribing the BiB? Do you ask them directly? Open your wallet and look the other way? Wait for them to suggest an alternative way out of the situation? How?

Anyway, good luck to you mate. What a disgrace that in the 21st century a man cannot carry a bit of harmless plant extract for his own personal usage. Frankly, having seen the rabid responses to other posts around here, I'm not surprised these conditions continue to exist.

Edited by thepanicandthevomit

I seem to remember in the 2009 series of Big Trouble in Tourist Thailand, an English girl, Micha Dixon, was caught with a small amount of marijuana on Koh Pangan. The judge let her off with a small fine and a year's probation.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYlDYe7W2GU

Edited by katana