Credit/Loans

nuksoo1980

As a foreigner, just like that? No chance. Deposit 100.000 baht and you can get 50.000 baht credit, but the securities will always be worth far more than any credit here.

BoT (Bank of Thailand) does not allow loans or credits to farang, unless its secured.

Options

Creditcard, limit is 80% of secured deposit, in yellow bank thats secured deposit of 80k to have 64k baht gold card.

Car and motorcycle finance possible, with minimum 20% down.

Financing condo can be done in Thai banks in Singapore.

then you have the sharks, who legally charge 3% a month, or not legally more

Welcome to Thailand.

I have been here 6 months after moving from Australia to a new job. Sold up everything and paid all loans and credit cards off completely. I have a perfect credit rating in Australia. Stupid me thought that I could get a loan for a car here, as I have a good credit history, I pay more income tax than most people earn here, and work for a major Thai company. Well guess what, I am a Farang. Loans and credit cards no problem to a Thai no matter what your risk is, but a Farang? The staff in the banks laugh when you enquire about credit.

I hear the stories about Foriegners leaving the contry owing money. Well that happens, and the main reason there is an international computer system linking banks, except Thailand of course.

Oh well, have to mull through a 2 year contract renting a car, using my Australian redit cards and transfering money back to Aus to pay them off, with all the currency conversions, fees and commisions.

Welcome to Thailand.

I have been here 6 months after moving from Australia to a new job. Sold up everything and paid all loans and credit cards off completely. I have a perfect credit rating in Australia. Stupid me thought that I could get a loan for a car here, as I have a good credit history, I pay more income tax than most people earn here, and work for a major Thai company. Well guess what, I am a Farang. Loans and credit cards no problem to a Thai no matter what your risk is, but a Farang? The staff in the banks laugh when you enquire about credit.

I hear the stories about Foriegners leaving the contry owing money. Well that happens, and the main reason there is an international computer system linking banks, except Thailand of course.

Oh well, have to mull through a 2 year contract renting a car, using my Australian redit cards and transfering money back to Aus to pay them off, with all the currency conversions, fees and commisions.

see a car dealer, show them your 6 months salary to thai bank account and taxes, and choose a car within your budget. 20% down because you are farang. and interest is usually 2-3%

assuming you have WP and Non Imm B. If not a thai guarantor is usually needed

Edited by katabeachbum

Hi guys,

I have the work permit.

I have the visa, non-immigrant B for 1 year.

I have passport.

I have salary slips.

I have over 6 months of Salary that has gone through my bank account and taxes paid, however I just can't seem to keep my passbook updated. The last time I had a passbook was around 30 years ago.

With all of this I still get the old saying, "but you are Farang", you need your Thai wife to sign. Maybe it is easier to just find a Thai wife for an hour to sign her name, but then that would not be right. Do the right thing here and you get screwed! I wish I had the cash to buy outright, but I do not.

Maybe Phuket is esier, but here in Pattaya it is a bloody nightmare.

Edited by mcyachty

the thai guarantor will have nothing to do with the car in the end (unless you don't pay) You can sell the car without them and the financing is 100% in your name. So, you can use a thai employee, friend, etc if necessary and not have to worry about somehow getting screwed.

Hi guys,

I have the work permit.

I have the visa, non-immigrant B for 1 year.

I have passport.

I have salary slips.

I have over 6 months of Salary that has gone through my bank account and taxes paid, however I just can't seem to keep my passbook updated. The last time I had a passbook was around 30 years ago.

With all of this I still get the old saying, "but you are Farang", you need your Thai wife to sign. Maybe it is easier to just find a Thai wife for an hour to sign her name, but then that would not be right. Do the right thing here and you get screwed! I wish I had the cash to buy outright, but I do not.

Maybe Phuket is esier, but here in Pattaya it is a bloody nightmare.

I have financed 3 cars in my own name, one of them in BKK, Toyota K Motors. Never had any of the above, just a substantial cashflow through my thai bankbook. I also have thai credit card

If you cant manage to update your bankbook, you can always pay for a bank statement

Find it hard to believe you have been rejected by car dealers financecompany like Toyota leasing, Honda leasing, Tanachart or Tisco

Do the right thing here, and you re fine

Welcome to Thailand.

Not true at all.. A Thai rocks up (without residency or perm right of stay in OZ) and applies for credit.. Its not likely they will give it..

Had the same when I went to the states.. Perfect credit record but being a brit in America they dont have any record of me, so no credit.

Edited by LivinLOS

the thai guarantor will have nothing to do with the car in the end (unless you don't pay) You can sell the car without them and the financing is 100% in your name. So, you can use a thai employee, friend, etc if necessary and not have to worry about somehow getting screwed.

What you say is true in a perfect world, but I think you will find that not many Thais. will wish to be your guarantor, its not you they will worry about being screwed!! :rolleyes: