Driving A Marked Vehicle

grumpyoldman

Just a word of warning to all the Forum members regarding driving a vehicle like a maniac, when it is marked with your businesses' name on it.

I think we all know how poorly the Thais drive, but it amazes me when a foreigner decides he or she is going to drive even worse, and lo and behold their business is written on the side of the vehicle!

Example: Tuesday I'm on my way towards the airport, and in my rear view mirror I see a black Fortuner (surprise, surprise), swerving in between lanes, tailgating, doing all he can do to get around everyone on the road. Ends up on my tail, I have to touch the brake a little to get him to keep from driving over me, he swerves into the lane next to me, gets barely by me due to car in front of him and forces his way into a halfcar space in front of me, behind the car that's in front of me, as we head into a red stoplight!

When he was alongside me I noticed painted large on the Fortuner...........Watermark (as in the restaurant).

So if anyone knows the guy that was driving that vehicle toward the airport Tuesday AM, please let him know in any other country his driving license would be revoked. Seriously, the most dangerous and worst driving I've seen in awhile. He's going to kill someone.

Everyone in Phuket drives recklessly. Thai and expat alike. Without any fear of be stopped by the police, unless you are not wearing a helmet, then things will not improve. I recently sat my driving test here, Thailand has a very thorough highway traffic code, very much the same as the UK's. It is just not enforced here. Does anyone know why this is. I saw an incredible sight last week, a pick up truck full of large gas bottles and two men in the back smoking right next to them.

lack of intelligence or just plain stupid

The only Police Highway patrol cars i have seen here only operate on the major highways.

I was used to having marked and unmarked cars and motorcycles patrolling the roads before

I came here.

A lot of the bad/dangerous drivers are not Thai and could not drive in there home country

the way they do here without losing there license very quickly.

The attitude here seems to be you can drive as dangerously as you like because no one

is going to stop and fine you.

The only Police Highway patrol cars i have seen here only operate on the major highways.

I was used to having marked and unmarked cars and motorcycles patrolling the roads before

I came here.

A lot of the bad/dangerous drivers are not Thai and could not drive in there home country

The attitude here seems to be you can drive as dangerously as you like because no one

hmmm, Highway Police only operates on highways. Thats roads numbered/signed with 1, 2 and 3 digits. Since most roads in Phuket are 4 digits local roads, Highway Police is not reponsible for them. Local traffic police is. We all know what they focus onB) .

My last roadtrip a few weeks ago was 3800km, and on a trip like this you see much more HW Police than local traffic police

Edited by katabeachbum

>>My last roadtrip a few weeks ago was 3800km, and on a trip like this you see much more HW Police than local traffic police

I drove down from BKK two weeks ago and granted it was the end of the month :), I got one speeding ticket and ran into no fewer than 7 highway checkpoints/roadblocks, so the highway guys are doing their job, it's just the locals are more worried about collecting easy money than enforcing the law.

Back on topic, I agree with OP in that if you're driving a company vehicle whether it's your own business or not, you should drive better than when in a non marked car. How about a name and shame the driver/company car thread?

I came here.

hmmm, Highway Police only operates on highways. Thats roads numbered/signed with 1, 2 and 3 digits. Since most roads in Phuket are 4 digits local roads, Highway Police is not reponsible for them. Local traffic police is. We all know what they focus onB) .

My last roadtrip a few weeks ago was 3800km, and on a trip like this you see much more HW Police than local traffic police

They are not called Highway patrol where i come from they are called traffic police and operate on all roads big or small.

You can be stopped anywhere and people know it.

On the major highways the cars are equipped with forward facing radar and they can check your speed a long way away in

flat country, in hilly country you are very easy to catch speeding, they dont have radar here they estimate your speed.

I know somone who was pulled over and told he was doing 105 kph 5 kph over the limit, with no radar, impossible to judge speed if you are that close to the speed limit.

They are not called Highway patrol where i come from they are called traffic police and operate on all roads big or small.

You can be stopped anywhere and people know it.

On the major highways the cars are equipped with forward facing radar and they can check your speed a long way away in

flat country, in hilly country you are very easy to catch speeding, they dont have radar here they estimate your speed.

I know somone who was pulled over and told he was doing 105 kph 5 kph over the limit, with no radar, impossible to judge speed if you are that close to the speed limit.

No correct. Royal Thai Highway Police uses radars and lasers. Usually they are set on 120 kmh tolerance, IOW you are only pulled over if doing more than 120 kmh

RTHWP also operates the electronic camera speed checks on expressways, providing you with a fine by mail. If fine not payed, no road tax/registration renewal before payed

No correct. Royal Thai Highway Police uses radars and lasers. Usually they are set on 120 kmh tolerance, IOW you are only pulled over if doing more than 120 kmh

RTHWP also operates the electronic camera speed checks on expressways, providing you with a fine by mail. If fine not payed, no road tax/registration renewal before payed

The only speeding ticket I ever received on the straightaway toward Phang-Nga, I was told by those cops national speed limit is 90.

>>My last roadtrip a few weeks ago was 3800km, and on a trip like this you see much more HW Police than local traffic police

I drove down from BKK two weeks ago and granted it was the end of the month :), I got one speeding ticket and ran into no fewer than 7 highway checkpoints/roadblocks, so the highway guys are doing their job, it's just the locals are more worried about collecting easy money than enforcing the law.

Back on topic, I agree with OP in that if you're driving a company vehicle whether it's your own business or not, you should drive better than when in a non marked car. How about a name and shame the driver/company car thread?

Quiet a few high end restaurants have their Fortuners marked, and some of them drive like maniacks. Why not make a FAST FOOD thread:D

and the same Fortuners parked like jurks, SLOW FOOD:D

The only speeding ticket I ever received on the straightaway toward Phang-Nga, I was told by those cops national speed limit is 90.

It is 90 kmh (approx 55 mph), but to be realistic in a developing country, even the buses keep 110-120. So its usually set on 120 and above. BTW, 120kmh is the speedlimit on expressways.

Everyone in Phuket drives recklessly. Thai and expat alike. Without any fear of be stopped by the police, unless you are not wearing a helmet, then things will not improve. I recently sat my driving test here, Thailand has a very thorough highway traffic code, very much the same as the UK's. It is just not enforced here. Does anyone know why this is. I saw an incredible sight last week, a pick up truck full of large gas bottles and two men in the back smoking right next to them.

lack of intelligence or just plain stupid

I don't.

Everyone in Phuket drives recklessly. Thai and expat alike. Without any fear of be stopped by the police, unless you are not wearing a helmet, then things will not improve.

Hmm, I drive safely because of safety, not because of fear of police. And I know a lot of people do the same.

I have never been pulled over for a traffic offence,

It was what i was told by someone who has been

He did pay a on the spot fine but not what they originally asked for.

Both he and his wife said the officer estimated there speed and had no radar.

Its interesting to know they do use radar i have never seen one in my travels

I have never been pulled over for a traffic offence,

It was what i was told by someone who has been

He did pay a on the spot fine but not what they originally asked for.

Both he and his wife said the officer estimated there speed and had no radar.

Its interesting to know they do use radar i have never seen one in my travels

A negiotiable on the spot fine without reciept, is usually done by HW robbers. 2-4 police on or off duty, usually with sunglasses, papermask, and nametag not visible on uniform. Better to give them 200 baht, than to provide them with your drivers lisence making them able to get more money. If they dont accept 200 baht, a thai speaking call to HW Police at 1193 and a photo of your officer can work. They are a shame to the force.

A proper speedcheck have 10-20 officers, 2 clerks doing paperwork/fines, and they state your exact speed, like 158 kmh.

Its a pity they do not have portable radar operated speed cameras here.

They would pay for themselves in a very short period of time.

Most if not all of the bad/dangerous drivers are also breaking the speed limit.

You meen in Phuket?

30 years ago there was 100 pickups in Phuket, and 12 cars. How many speed camears where there in Sydney or New York 30 years after cars became common?

In Phuket there are 1000 police offisers handling a registered population of 320.000? while the actual population is thought to be 1 mill thais, expats and imported labour

But you have to drive a little, just a little like a Thai just to get somewhere, me think, you try to keep a good distance to the car in front, you all know there will be a car taken that spot within 2 sec, and if you still keep your distance you will end up back home.

But you have to drive a little, just a little like a Thai just to get somewhere, me think, you try to keep a good distance to the car in front, you all know there will be a car taken that spot within 2 sec, and if you still keep your distance you will end up back home.

All my life I have tried to keep 3 seconds or more distance to the vehicle in front. Until I moved here. Even at 140-160 kmh there is a vehicle squeesing in between if distance is more than 1,5-2 seconds. Worse in BKK, if you keep more than a car distance, another car squeeses in.

So driving like in Europe is not doable. And to state like PMGTHAILAND everyone, thais and expats, drives recklessly I disagree. Less safetymargins than in north Europe, yes, but everyone recklessly, no.

Edited by katabeachbum

Some driving here is absolutely disgraceful, including some by foreigners, but I do not accept that foreigners set the standard. I drive on Highway 4 twice a week covering 200km each way and I see a lot of Thai drivers on that route, some young guys in pickups and some bus drivers. They seem to set the worse standards.

Their dangerousness is evinced by the number of pick-ups in ditches and over verges.

I went with my girlfriend on her ten hours' professional driving lessons last year. The lack of standards was quite outrageous. The radio was on, the teacher's arm was dangling out of the window. He used one hand on the wheel at all times. The result shows on the road also, but there are indeed some good Thai drivers, despite the poor driving education.

Edited by sambai

Its a pity they do not have portable radar operated speed cameras here.

They would pay for themselves in a very short period of time.

Most if not all of the bad/dangerous drivers are also breaking the speed limit.

You meen in Phuket?

30 years ago there was 100 pickups in Phuket, and 12 cars. How many speed camears where there in Sydney or New York 30 years after cars became common?

In Phuket there are 1000 police offisers handling a registered population of 320.000? while the actual population is thought to be 1 mill thais, expats and imported labour

Speed cameras do not need to be operated by police officers just people trained to operate them.

The processing of the film and posting out of the fines can be done by public servants.

As you previously stated if fines are not paid, do not re-license the vehicle when due and not allow it to be transferred to another name.

Speed cameras do not need to be operated by police officers just people trained to operate them.

The processing of the film and posting out of the fines can be done by public servants.

As you previously stated if fines are not paid, do not re-license the vehicle when due and not allow it to be transferred to another name.

existing speed cameras in LOS are digital, and info transfered to central computer, then fines issued and mailed.

existing speed cameras in LOS are digital, and info transfered to central computer, then fines issued and mailed.

They probably are where i come from to considering what they cost.

They are also portable and only take minutes to set up.

They change there locations after about 1 hour so no one knows where they are located

A negiotiable on the spot fine without reciept, is usually done by HW robbers. 2-4 police on or off duty, usually with sunglasses, papermask, and nametag not visible on uniform. Better to give them 200 baht, than to provide them with your drivers lisence making them able to get more money. If they dont accept 200 baht, a thai speaking call to HW Police at 1193 and a photo of your officer can work. They are a shame to the force.

A proper speedcheck have 10-20 officers, 2 clerks doing paperwork/fines, and they state your exact speed, like 158 kmh.

Although I admit reckless, 2 weeks ago I was stopped outside the police station on my bike while

1. On the telephone

2. No Helmet

3. Stinking of booze

An immediate offer of 200 Baht was dismissed, after a little banter a a phone call to his superior I was on my way for the princley sum of 300 Baht......thats Hua Hin mind, far better than a night in the cells, 20,000 Baht fine etc...highway robbery for me all time please:D :D :D

Although I admit reckless, 2 weeks ago I was stopped outside the police station on my bike while

1. On the telephone

2. No Helmet

3. Stinking of booze

An immediate offer of 200 Baht was dismissed, after a little banter a a phone call to his superior I was on my way for the princley sum of 300 Baht......thats Hua Hin mind, far better than a night in the cells, 20,000 Baht fine etc...highway robbery for me all time please:D :D :D

I bet he didnt call his superior, he called his Mia Noi to ask how much she needed for supper:D :D :D

And I bet you didn't get a single ticket did you, officer...lol

Drive like Mr. Watermark in California and you will be shot eventually.

Once or twice a year I drive from Khao Lak to Buriram and back. Of course I count on being stopped by the police and having to fork over a contribution, usually it is just 100 Baht. Sometimes it doesn't happen or just once, and the record is 5 times on the highway between Hua Hin and Surat Thani. Now that I think of it, it is only when there is at least one Thai person with me in the vehicle, when I am alone it doesn't seem to happen. Oh well, maybe they don't feel confident speaking English,or they are afraid wasting their time trying to get their point through to a farang guy who only speaks Finnish, whilst they could have stopped 5 Thais who would have paid right away.

I really don't understand thst stopping and paying.

Every time i have driven to bangkok and beyond, i have only been stopped at regular checkpoints, and never forked out any money.

Only driven this route with Thai in the car btw.