Has Hua Hin Changed?

Vegemite

Is Hua Hin still the same nice little place that I remember it to be from 2 years ago, or is it true that it is now BIGGER than Phuket ( and more expensive )?

Since no one has replied yet, I'll have a go- It's growing alright but not so much that you'd notice since all the new housing estates tend to be on the periphery and off the main and side sois.

Drove by the Tesco Lotus and "Market Village" construction site a couple days ago and it looks like the 3rd floor is up, so it won't be too long now. It's shaping up to be a HUGE complex. Still, Hua Hin's nowhere near the size of a Phuket.

What specifically are you referring to when you ask if it's more expensive? Cost of living, land, 5 star hotels, bungalows, foodstuffs or? All in all, I would say Hua Hin is significantly less expensive but advancing all the time, like most other seaside resort towns.

Edited by bahtandsold

Is Hua Hin still the same nice little place that I remember it to be from 2 years ago, or is it true that it is now BIGGER than Phuket ( and more expensive )?

Since no one has replied yet, I'll have a go- It's growing alright but not so much that you'd notice since all the new housing estates tend to be on the periphery and off the main and side sois.

Drove by the Tesco Lotus and "Market Village" construction site a couple days ago and it looks like the 3rd floor is up, so it won't be too long now. It's shaping up to be a HUGE complex. Still, Hua Hin's nowhere near the size of a Phuket.

What specifically are you referring to when you ask if it's more expensive? Cost of living, land, 5 star hotels, bungalows, foodstuffs or? All in all, I would say Hua Hin is significantly less expensive but advancing all the time, like most other seaside resort towns.

I read that Hua Hin is the fastest growing city in Thailand. I first went there five years ago and even then talk of airports and progression on a big scale were common. The main street when I was there 7 weeks ago and the restaurant, bar areas have exploded in size with smaller sois opening new establishments. I only had a burger king so who knows about the price I cannot imagine a huge change.

I did notice the amout of building work on the outskrts and thought it was overwheming the way it is being thrown up at that speed. Hope the builders are good... :o

I still like Hau hin whether big or small it has some good memories.

:D

Edited by lopburiguy

We did see an increase in tourism after the tsumani as many people redierected their holidays here. However now in the midst of low season its as quiet as its always been.

With regards to developing yes there are property developments absolutely everywhere, the place is turning into milton keynes (without the roundabouts). New businesses are coming and going but its nothing on the scale of Phuket, there are still so many comodities that you simply cannot buy in Hua Hin and cost wise I have always found Phuket to be the most expensive place in Thailand.

Theres always talk of Hua Hin growing but it always looks the same to me.

Locals have been talking for years about getting a Supermarket of sorts and its taken years to happen.

I think a lot of Hua Hin's charm is in that it is so laid back. I wonder how it would handle a real boom.

I think a lot of Hua Hin's charm is in that it is so laid back.

Agree Prof.

I wonder how it would handle a real boom.

I believe there IS a quiet construction and migration boom on now and

should be interesting to see what takes shape over the next 24-48 months.

Still couldn't park anywhere there tho, even last week :o

HH really needs to corral in the hundreds of perma parked "taxis for hire"

which are taking up every single otherwise available parking spot.

(or keep folks driving from Bkk out?) :D:D

afther the waves i saw the amount of foreigers overhere in Chaam dubbeled...

many people were rebooked from destinations who were affected by the tsunami...

right now it's relativly quiet...

let's see what's gonna happen during the season

Has Hua Hin changed???

....stuffed if I know! :D

All I can say is tha I have visited Hua Hin for a couple of day trips over the last 6 months and stayed there last week for a longer stay!

I've mainly spent holidays over a 15 year period around Phuket, mainly Patong. Hua Hin is like a sleepy town compared...and I loved it!

Really nice beach that's a bit nicer then Cha Am as it's without the noisy jet ski's. Also, the hawker's seem less then in Cha Am.

We really enjoyed a meal at one of the wharf restaurants while there and spent some time at a couple of bars. I think "Nid" bar with a German owner. Really nice place with the best dunny I've seen at a bar :o

I like how clean Hua Hin seems and one of the restaurant owners reckoned that the King want's to demolish all those wharf restaurants and have a clear road along the beach. Is that true?

Cheers BaanOz

demolish all those wharf restaurants and have a clear road along the beach. Is that true?

Cheers BaanOz

wee bit carefull there...

It's local gossip (goes back years) based around a supposed municipality (thessabaan sp?) issue/rumour (not a directive from the Royal Palace) apparently driven by the hoteliers association and business/tourism interests. It's an issue which bubbles and froths every few years, with frequency of late. Basically, it's complicated. Busida may be the go to guy to try to answer this one. Buks, anything on this?

Still couldn't park anywhere there tho, even last week :o

HH really needs to corral in the hundreds of perma parked "taxis for hire"

which are taking up every single otherwise available parking spot.

Read this?

http://www.huahinafterdark.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1758

Thx Buksida, missed that bit (hardly ever read "the newspaper you can trust":D

Hope they straighten this out- best to try to tackle it now in the low season. Keep us posted.

I've been here for 7 years now, so not surprisingly I've noticed quite a change.

The "sleepy" seaside town feel has gone. Probably would still seem that way to visitors from larger resorts, but at weekends and school times the town's a war zone now

Yes, there's perennial talk of the restaurants going along the beach near The Hilton. The story goes that the people there are squatters and so the big hotels want them removed to build a promenade. Other than talk, it's never got further than that. I believe some of those restaurants are owned by pretty powerful politicians and military.

BTW, I've got photos of the night market and Petchkasem Road from 1989 when I first came on holiday. Town certainly has changed since then!!

Does all this talk about big changes apply all the way down to Khao Takiab?

Hi PB, no and the talk is just that, talk. The "rumour" involves the direct beachfront area from the north of the Hilton, to the 1st old fishing pier. OR, from the Hilton up to (but not including) the Brassarie de snob. :o

PeaceBlondie,

Depends on what changes you're referring to.

As B&S has said, there's the immediate beachfront area that's been under observation for years.

If you're asking about development all the way to Khao Takieb, then it's already there. Show me a vacant lot on the beach side going down. There's hardly any other direction for developers to go in other than the hills.

Good point SY, also, not to add to speculation but i recall reading in one of the local english zine's or paper when i was there last wk, there was a restaurant in Khoa takiab area that was suspected to have been built on land without proper permit??? Have to be carefull here, not fact checked and there's always two sides (sometimes dozens) :o

Couldn't agree with you more, BaanOz.

That area and one or two blocks behind it are about all that remains of the original wooden fishing village.

One improvement, however, is the absence of that wonderfaul aroma of drying squid. That always did nearly made me puke!!

I visited the fishing village that I suppose has replaced the city version. I am not sure of the name of the place but it is at the bottom of the hill with the temple and the monkeys ( bloody things ). For me this was one of the highlights of my trip to Hua Hin. It was such a laid back place and I sat with one or two of the people that worked there and ate tender crab meat and drank some beer. The Thai people that I met there were so easy to be with. There were boats bobbing around in the estuary and no tourist type things anywhere. A great experience for me, but maybe others wouldn't be as happy to step that low.

There has been speculation about the beachfront now for ages and ages yet nothing seems to have happened.

I wonder if this is just a perpetual rumour, an expat urban legend if you will, or is there is actually some foundation of truth in all this?

:o

Dont listen to this guy lads, come on you must have the measure of him by now. He knows nothing of Hua Hin, he stays in Cha Am (say no more).

The furthest he leave's his key board is a visit to the Cha Am British Legion to play darts.