Getting Me And My 90Kg Of Stuff From Bkk To Phuket

tvh13

I am just back in Thailand after a few months visiting in the states. I am trying to find a way to get myself with all of my things down to Phuket Town.

I have approx 90 Kg of "things". Ironically I will be engaged in Buddhist study (non attachment) while I am here.

My question is what is the best way for me to travel with my things (not ship but travel with).

Here are a few ideas and I would appreciate comments and advice.

1. Hire a car and driver. I imagine that this will be too expensive but I wonder can anyone give me an idea what this might cost and where to look?

2. Take a bus from the southern bus terminal to Phuket town. My concern here is that I have heard many stories of people having their luggage riffled and things stolen from under the bus while in transit from BKK. Are there more "honorable" bus companies? I imagine there are can anyone suggest one?

3. Train to Surat Thani and then hire a car or mini bus to drive the rest of the way. I would probably hire the whole car or mini. A couple of months ago I took a cab from Ko Lak to Phuket and it was very reasonable.

4. Suggestions?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

If you take the govt bus from the South Bus Station the rifling issue rarely occurs, it usually happens with the Khao San Road busses.

By far the cheapest and easiest option would be to take the bus, though I have previously hired a car for a one way trip. I think it cost me around 8 times the price of a bus ticket plus fuel, though it was interesting to see the route.

I have travelled to and from Bangkok, from Phuket, by buses using the Southern Bus Terminal many times, often with a computer and other valuables. I have never had any problems whatsoever, except a sore backside from sitting for so long.

Most of the time the bus is travelling, and during the stop for food you can sit and watch it if you are worried. Personally I find the vast majority of Thais to be very honest, but sadly those who mix with foreigners a lot have some bad habits.

Have a good journey.

Bung as much as you can on the plane and post the non-essentials. Reckon you've more chance in losing stuff on the bus than through the postal system - everything will be catalogued.

/ assuming you have an address to post to.

Edited by jackr

Thanks! The bus it is then. I find the Thai busses much easier than those i have ridden in India.I too find most Thais to be quite honest, good and generous people.

Good to see that your optmistic. One cannot stereotype a whole people but let's be honest, opportunity theft does abound in certain areas and contexts.

The VIP Bus companies are usually pretty realiable. Good luck with it all.

Buddhist studies, non attachment!! That is ironic. What about tossing a lot of it out??

Seriously, are you returning to Bangkok?? if so, can it be stored until you return?

I've used public buses in Thailand that have a cargo area at the back of the bus in the passenger compartment. 90 Kgs approximates to about 4 and a bit 20 Kg suitcases, so it's not huge bulk.

If you take the govt bus from the South Bus Station the rifling issue rarely occurs, it usually happens with the Khao San Road busses.

I agree. I use the blue busses a lot and have never had trouble with them. If you tell the ticket desk you have 90kg of luggage they might even get porters to help you shift it for 100baht.