Happy Birthday Singapore - You Suck!

oakweb

I know very few Thai's that are able to get a 10 year USA VISA without marriage, and I was really happy to be able to get my Fiancée one. But now I think I should have just done this 4 years ago or so and did all the premarital agreements back then.

10 year visa is nothing special for Thai providing you meet the criteria. My wife just got one last year as did her sister. She was not planning to apply one but was with her sister and decided to get one as well. One of those good to have things if you need to visit sometime in the future. Wife has a job, sister doesn't but has plenty of money in the bank and was studying at the moment. Application in, interview and visa issued without hassle. No american sponsor required or anything like that. Easier than Shengen visa she got as spouse. So as long as you pass the criteria, i.e. are working or have financial means and generally are a normal person there is nothing to it.

General note Singapore has changed in past few years and for better. One of the best places for nightlife in south east asia. Much much better than Bangkok. I mean for normal nightlife, bars, pubs, restaurants, nightclubs...

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also there is nothing to be expected when traveling with Thai partner. The odds for them to refuse entry without any reason or due mistaken identity for average joe and or his gf are same level than getting killed in plane crash on SQ flight on the way in. So your post going for whole Singapore sucks to "informing others what to expect" is pointless. I would make the claim that Singaporeans are far more accurate and organized in their screening than USA. If they get it wrong once a year in USA it must be more like once a day. Seen both in full action so this is easy to believe for me.

You had really bad luck or there indeed was some reason like your temper or mistaken identity etc. This we will never know so do yourself a favor and let it be.

Try taking your winter boots off in Edinburgh International Airport when 90% of the peeps haven't washed their feet.

I was number 56ish in line and asked if i had to take me shoes off, yes madame. There was a deluge of people sitting down on their <deleted> to take their shoes off.

Laces, velcro, babies crying. All for a 2 hour flight back home to sunny Swissland.

Why are you travelling to Switzerland? Because I live there. Why do you live there? Because I do. All this at 8 in the morning.

I feel for you, I really do.

Just think of it as a funny story to tell the grandkids - when you eventually marry the woman of your dreams.

Guess what, we went to Singapore and they wouldn't let granny in...

In some countries it pays to be legally married if one is with a female.

De jure marriage is the only form of marriage that is legally recognised. Defacto, partner, significant other ( means you have more than one) GF, TGF, mistress, mai noi. These are not legally recognised.

Edited by electau

Having entered Singapore at least a hundred times over the past twenty years, with wives, girlfriends and casual acquaintances of various nationalities, I have to say that the OP's story seems incomplete, I sense there's something in it that we are are not seeing and perhaps the OP himself doesn't know. Whatever you might think about Singapore and its officialdom, the Immigration folks do not simply ban a new entrant for life without cause. Without wishing to cast aspersions on the OP's fiance good character may I suggest the most likely reason is that the young lady may have had some prior differences with the Singaporean authorities!

In some countries it pays to be legally married if one is with a female.

;)

@jackr read the whole thread, it's entertaining and educational

I did and thanks for the heads-up.

Detect a tone of condescension, though. You may need to work on that.

@chiang mai read the whole thread especially about the banned for life

@jackr well I'm just hoping that before someone makes another post about the, "banned for life" or "Singapore Sucks" they take time to read all the posts, after all we don't want to be saying the same thing page after page.

@chiang mai read the whole thread especially about the banned for life

@jackr well I'm just hoping that before someone makes another post about the, "banned for life" or "Singapore Sucks" they take time to read all the posts, after all we don't want to be saying the same thing page after page.

Oakwood I'm sorry about all the troubles with your trip but I'm still inclined to believe that there is something that we don't see here, Singapore authorities do not arbitrarily deny access without cause or justification, it simply doesn't happen - appearance, attitude, insufficient funds, immigration history, passport stamp history and probably other things might provoke cause. If I were you I would be inclined to push this incident with the Singapore authorities to find out what the official justification was, there will be a record somewhere.

Acknowledged that your fiancé was not actually banned for life, merely threatened.

@chiang mai Correct, they don't deny without justification. Their justification could be they feel the person entering their country does not have the financial means to support themselves, it could be that they have entered the country "too much" recently, it could be that you have an old passport, or it could be that you are a sexy Thai girl that might be lying about everything to go work there.

I never said they deny without justification. The fact is they do deny with justification, and they do it quite often. The AirAsia representative that walked with me and my Fiancée told us that many passengers rejected every day from entry. They are sent back on the next flight at the passengers expense.

My question is, why don't they just do a VISA process like other countries? These passengers have no idea they are going to be denied. Think about the girl that was denied for "coming too much". She purchased a plane ticket, had plans, had people waiting for her at the airport, etc. And the goon just decided that, oh.. you were just here 8 weeks ago. "Sorry! too much."

If you are going to Singapore with a "Significant Other" meaning, a friend, girl friend, even your wife. I suggest the following:

1.) Obtain a letter of permission, like the one officer advised my girlfriend. Even if you have been there before, like us.

2.) If you can't obtain that letter, don't make any hotel reservations that are non refundable.

3.) Don't loose your cool if the goons grab your traveling companions arm and whisk her away. You know what to expect now reading my post.

4.) Consider if Singapore really is the place you want to visit. If you have not yet been to Hong Kong, I suggest there. Never heard of any problems myself there, and

I have traveled there with my girlfriend and other companions as well, over 10 times.

I would love to have a member go to Singapore, and hang out at the Customs Desk and see what happens on another flight. Share stories and see if you can spot my old friend, Inspector Goon Whats his name, at work. See what they do. I saw their attitude, I saw them pick people out for extra inspection. Post back here on this thread.

Hey if they let everyone through and there are no good stories, well maybe it was just a bad flight. But from what the AirAsia guy said, and the room my Fiancée was in, is any

indication of their current methods they are using to ween out Thai resident entries, you should see quite a few situations.

* btw oakweb not oakwood

@chiang mai Correct, they don't deny without justification. Their justification could be they feel the person entering their country does not have the financial means to support themselves, it could be that they have entered the country "too much" recently, it could be that you have an old passport, or it could be that you are a sexy Thai girl that might be lying about everything to go work there.

I never said they deny without justification. The fact is they do deny with justification, and they do it quite often. The AirAsia representative that walked with me and my Fiancée told us that many passengers rejected every day from entry. They are sent back on the next flight at the passengers expense.

My question is, why don't they just do a VISA process like other countries? These passengers have no idea they are going to be denied. Think about the girl that was denied for "coming too much". She purchased a plane ticket, had plans, had people waiting for her at the airport, etc. And the goon just decided that, oh.. you were just here 8 weeks ago. "Sorry! too much."

If you are going to Singapore with a "Significant Other" meaning, a friend, girl friend, even your wife. I suggest the following:

1.) Obtain a letter of permission, like the one officer advised my girlfriend. Even if you have been there before, like us.

2.) If you can't obtain that letter, don't make any hotel reservations that are non refundable.

3.) Don't loose your cool if the goons grab your traveling companions arm and whisk her away. You know what to expect now reading my post.

4.) Consider if Singapore really is the place you want to visit. If you have not yet been to Hong Kong, I suggest there. Never heard of any problems myself there, and

I have traveled there with my girlfriend and other companions as well, over 10 times.

I would love to have a member go to Singapore, and hang out at the Customs Desk and see what happens on another flight. Share stories and see if you can spot my old friend, Inspector Goon Whats his name, at work. See what they do. I saw their attitude, I saw them pick people out for extra inspection. Post back here on this thread.

Hey if they let everyone through and there are no good stories, well maybe it was just a bad flight. But from what the AirAsia guy said, and the room my Fiancée was in, is any

indication of their current methods they are using to ween out Thai resident entries, you should see quite a few situations.

* btw oakweb not oakwood

Oakweb

I asked you this in my previous post.

You keep saying the "goons justify their decisions".

So please tell us what paper work your girlfriend

received and what were the reasons give for refusal

of entry?

And BTW, the girl who you said Immigration was refused

for being in the country "too much". Well we really don't

know how often she goes to Singapore or if she had indeed

been working so it's a bit hard to make have an informed

opinion without all of the facts.

Regards

Will

@Will27 this was on the Notice of Refusal of Entry - "being ineligible for the issue of a pass under current immigration policies"

As far as the girl that was visiting too much, believe what you will, this is the reason they gave her.

@Will27 this was on the Notice of Refusal of Entry - "being ineligible for the issue of a pass under current immigration policies"

As far as the girl that was visiting too much, believe what you will, this is the reason they gave her.

Correction. This is the reason she gave you. Coming too much sounds to me like, "We think you are traveling here often to be a prostitute."

On second thought, maybe the reason is "Cumming too much."

Are you sure you cannot get a visitor visa to Singapore. I know I don't need to get a visa in advance to visit Thailand with a US passport, but I still can get a visitor visa at the Thai consulate.

@daveh correction to your correction, as I stated this is a document that was received, not the reason my fiancée gave to me

reminder - we visited here twice before in the past 7 years with no issues

Regarding myself - I'm American I do not need a VISA to enter Singapore. I entered, got our bags, and booked our flights right out of there again.

@daveh correction to your correction, as I stated this is a document that was received, not the reason my fiancée gave to me

reminder - we visited here twice before in the past 7 years with no issues

Regarding myself - I'm American I do not need a VISA to enter Singapore. I entered, got our bags, and booked our flights right out of there again.

Oakweb,

I think daveh was referring to the other girl in the post.

I didn't say I didn't believe you. What I said is that we

don't know the facts other than she was denied entry

for too many visits.

Like I said, Immigration may have had information

that she was indeed working so it's hard to know.

I must admit though, they really need to provide more

information to as why people are refused entry than the

one given to your partner.

Regards

Will

Perhaps the "current" immigration policies lean towards letting in more China girls...:rolleyes:

My question is, why don't they just do a VISA process like other countries? These passengers have no idea they are going to be denied.

A visa is not a permission to enter a country, that is still up to the immigration officer.

So your suggestion would not change anything.

@stevenl Visas are denied every day, which prevents the traveler from even attempting entry. Your statement that it would not change anything is incorrect. The Visa approval process would allow Singapore to prevent most of the travelers they are denying at their airports, the discomfort of purchasing airline tickets, hotels, and all the other arrangements that are made.

Edited by oakweb

I continue to be a little confused by all of this, Singapore is a part of ASEAN and visa's are not required by citizens of ASEAN member states. So all things being equal Singapore appears to be saying, you may not need a visa but that doesn't mean that we'll let you in if we don't like the look of you or we happen to be in a bad mood when you arrive! It'd be interesting if the EU adopted a similar approach!!

I am sorry you were unable to enter Singapore. I suggest you visit Arizona.

Now why do ya gotta go and pick on my state for...?

Yell and swear like he did at Sky Harbor and he'll end up choking himself to death in a holding cell... ;)

Singapore doesn't suck, simple as that. It seems a number of people who probably spent little or no time are all jumping on the band wagon on this. It sounds like an unpleasant story for the OP - and maybe it was just an unfortunate one, with a pissed off official. Certainly getting irate, and giving it the "I'm American" <deleted> is not going to go down well with the officials - Singapore doesn't give a shit. It can stand on it's own, and doesn't take really care for people who have a sense of entitlement based on their race.

Having traveled in and out since 1990 - both with work and holidays - never had a single problem. Have been in and out also a number of times in the last 8 years with my Thai girlfriend, who has also never had a problem.

Singapore, always an easy target.

I continue to be a little confused by all of this, Singapore is a part of ASEAN and visa's are not required by citizens of ASEAN member states. So all things being equal Singapore appears to be saying, you may not need a visa but that doesn't mean that we'll let you in if we don't like the look of you or we happen to be in a bad mood when you arrive! It'd be interesting if the EU adopted a similar approach!!

All countries have the right to refuse entry - irregardless of having a visa or being a member state of a particular economic community.

@mrtoad - everyone has an opinion right? especially those who jump in a thread and fail to read it through. Feel free to read all the posts, it's entertaining and educational.

I have read it, thanks very much.

You are not the only person that has traveled to Singapore - many people have had non problems, some have. Sums up most countries.

Toad - I've been to many countries, Singapore takes the cake on my last run for bad service. If they want to single out Thai girls like they did mine, they can have their country. I don't need them, and I'm sure they feel the same after I told them I'd be informing everyone I could regarding their poor attitude toward Thai female travelers.

They can clean it up, or not. It's up to them, I'm here to inform others. MrToad can you help me make 7 pages please?