Motorbiking In Thailand

PaulDavies

You may wish to ride on the "pavements" like everyone else. Remember to get angry with pesky pedestrians! Also try to miss the parked bikes.

But sometimes the pavements are bumpier than the road. So take care! :lol:

always be as pissed as possible and ride an automatic bike

pizza or indeed pizzas can be held behind you by tgf or if alone----------------oh happy days----------then the box of a 9 or 10 inch one will jam down niceley on a yamaha nouvo mix and your legs keep it from falling-----------never lost one yet

my bike came with a built in wobble which seems to manifest itself after 7 or 8 pints---------------no not gay boy small bottles----------------and the throttle seems to stick open but right hand on throttle and left hand on beer seems to work most of the time. forget glitterman look out for pitbull man !!

1. Motorcycles are not permitted on the motorways/expressways.

2. On all other roads, motorcycles must use the nearside lane only.

3. When the road is congested, motorcycles are permitted to use the footpath.

4. The maximum permitted occupancy for a motorcycle is 2 persons.

5. All motorcycles must display a red light to the rear (during the hours of darkness)

6. Front lights must not be obscured by shopping bags (during the hours of darkness)

7. Helmets are compulsory on journeys over 1.5 km

8. Motorcycle/sidecar combos are permitted to straggle the white lines (but only if carrying dried squid or cuttlefish).

9. Only items 1 to 5 are true.

Edited by chickenslegs

5. All motorcycles must display a red light to the rear (during the hours of darkness)

6. Front lights must not be obscured by shopping bags (during the hours of darkness)

8. Motorcycle/sidecar combos are permitted to straggle the white lines (but only if carrying dried squid or cuttlefish).

Chickenslegs, where can I read up more on the motorbike laws here in LOS? I seem to be a BIB target for pull over, but have talked my way out of most. I am looking for an official list, such as what kind of headlights are acceptable, where license plates must be displayed and how, so on. This has been a pet project of mine, using quotes from the law to annoy the BIB when they pull me over.

To the OP, there are seldom signs showing you restrictions, as a motorcyclist, you are supposed to know. But, for most flyover bridges in and around Bangkok, there is a white sign that shows a motorbike crossed out in red. This is true in most areas in Thailand, but are very inconsistent outside of Bangkok. Basically, stay off the tollways and elevated highways, and I only use a flyover if there are other motorbikes ahead of me. I figure, stay in groups and it is more likely that you will escape the Fine Boys.

How would one go north out of Bangkok to Chiang Mai, can you ride on the main highway at some point in time.

Depending on your starting point you get out onto the Vibvadhi Rangsit road and stay in the leftish lanes all the way past Don Muang airport.

Stay on that road always keeping off the tollway past Rangsit right out past Navanakon to the end and then follow the route 32 to Ayuttha.

Stay on the 32 until just before Nakhon Sawan and then take the route 122 to Khampaeng Phet (it is the Nakhon Sawan bypass.

Stay on the route 1 past Khampeang Phet and Tak to Lampang then take the route 11 to Chiang Mai.

Around 800km depending on your start and finish points.

If you have a gps that helps a lot or you could use Google Earth.

How would one go north out of Bangkok to Chiang Mai, can you ride on the main highway at some point in time.

Depending on your starting point you get out onto the Vibvadhi Rangsit road and stay in the leftish lanes all the way past Don Muang airport.

Stay on that road always keeping off the tollway past Rangsit right out past Navanakon to the end and then follow the route 32 to Ayuttha.

Stay on the 32 until just before Nakhon Sawan and then take the route 122 to Khampaeng Phet (it is the Nakhon Sawan bypass.

Stay on the route 1 past Khampeang Phet and Tak to Lampang then take the route 11 to Chiang Mai.

Around 800km depending on your start and finish points.

If you have a gps that helps a lot or you could use Google Earth.

Thanks

Chickenslegs, where can I read up more on the motorbike laws here in LOS? I seem to be a BIB target for pull over, but have talked my way out of most. I am looking for an official list, such as what kind of headlights are acceptable, where license plates must be displayed and how, so on. This has been a pet project of mine, using quotes from the law to annoy the BIB when they pull me over.

To the OP, there are seldom signs showing you restrictions, as a motorcyclist, you are supposed to know. But, for most flyover bridges in and around Bangkok, there is a white sign that shows a motorbike crossed out in red. This is true in most areas in Thailand, but are very inconsistent outside of Bangkok. Basically, stay off the tollways and elevated highways, and I only use a flyover if there are other motorbikes ahead of me. I figure, stay in groups and it is more likely that you will escape the Fine Boys.

Here's a link that you will find interesting Thailaws

Click on the tab 'Acts in English' then scroll down to 'Land Traffic Act'

Not all the things I've mentioned are covered by that Act.

For example - I found out about Motorbikes being allowed to use the footpath when it came up as a question on the motorcycle driving licence test :o

Edited by chickenslegs

Here's a link that you will find interesting Thailaws

Click on the tab 'Acts in English' then scroll down to 'Land Traffic Act'

Not all the things I've mentioned are covered by that Act.

For example - I found out about Motorbikes being allowed to use the footpath when it came up as a question on the motorcycle driving licence test :o

Thank you, you are a scholar and a gentleman

• 1 month later...

I got around the "keep to the left thing in Bangkok by telling the police I was following the taxi. It is frequent that farang hire a taxi to go some where because Bangkok is difficult to navigate.I just yelled out over the traffic , " I follow taxi". There are lots of taxis in Bangkok as we know.:whistling: