Driving Safely Around Thailand

yumidesign

During the past 5 years my partner and i have driver over 100,000 ks all over the country, without incident, in a Toyota Vios bought new from a dealer in Uttaradit, which incidentally was 30,000 tbt cheaper than the dealer in Chiang Mai.

We both have Thai drivers licences. The first twelve month ones obtained from Chiang Mai.

The following 5 year renewal. One obtained from Khon Kaen and the other from Chiang Mai. Different places follow different rules about what documentation is required for the issue of Thai licences to foreigners

The following tips are offered to help other would be road travellers avoid the many possible disasters that await on or near the roads in Thailand and to ‘survive the drive’

1. DRIVE DEFENSIVELY

Always assume the driver of the motor cycle in front with 5 riders all without helmets will veer across your path on their way to an unmarked road exit or the motor cycle with the mother on the back either breast feeding or bottle feeding a baby will make a track right across the lane in front of you to make a U turn

2. NEVER DRIVE AT NIGHT

Never ever. Driving under the influence in Thailand is decided when drivers after having an accident can’t stand up due to being too drunk

3. ONLY DRIVE FOR 4 - 5 HOURS MAX PER DAY

Make hourly stops to keep fresh and alert.

4. START YOUR DRIVE AFTER 11 AM

This will put you on the road with the least other traffic as most will be starting their lunch break

5. BE ON EXTRA ALERT IF WITHIN 100 KS OF BANGKOK

Avoid BKK altogether if possible. There are plenty of alternative routes around the city, if you must park your car outside the city and take the bus, and stay clear of vehicles on any road with BKK number plates, they are the ones with the longest name under the numbers, doing 160 clicks swerving past you on the left hand side.

BKK drivers are by far the most dangerous followed closely by those from around the far east of the country particularly around Khon Kaen and Ubon Ratchathani. As well as Pratchub Kiri Khan where the wrong side of the road is favoured by most drivers

6. DON’T SPEED

On the highway stay below the 90 k / hour speed. Its easier to stop if you need to and you will avoid the highway patrol speed cameras. If you drive around a lot you will get to know the police speed camera traps. They are always set up at the same places. For instance going into Lumpang from Chiang Mai and on the road from Lumpang to Tak there is nearly always speed cameras. The road from Khon Kaen to Chum Phae on the way to Phitsaulok is notorious for police fining vehicles for driving in the right hand lane. You can also tell when other traffic is travelling at 90 instead of the usual 160 + or oncoming traffic flash their lights

7. USE YOUR HORN AND FLASH HIGH BEAM

Especially on blind corners on narrow country roads and coming up behind half asleep motor cycle drivers and people on bicycles wandering across your path

8. LIGHTS ON

Always drive with parking lights on during daylight hours

9. INDICATOR LIGHTS

Well before any change of direction use indicator lights and check in all mirrors before proceeding, paying particular attention to motor cycles passing on inside left lane or making turns in front of you

10. DON’T SPEAK THAI

When ever stopped by officialdom never speak Thai. Always answer in English and never let any official inspect your car or belongings without you being present and showing them what they want to see. Whilst of course being super polite. Keep copies of passport, insurance policy and registration papers in the glove box

11. DON’T DRIVE ALONE

If possible always drive with another driver in the car. Another pair of drivers eyes can prove very helpful

12. FULL INSURANCE

Make sure you have a good comprehensive insurance policy with a reputable company, offering good no claim discounts, which covers third party liability, costs of legal defence, liability of passengers, and bail payments. This is also very important if renting a car or motor cycle. In the event of an accident the foreigner will always be judged as being in the wrong no matter what the circumstances may be

13. DON’T DRIVE ON RAIN SOAKED MOUNTAIN ROADS AFTER THE DRY SEASON.

In hilly areas the roads are covered with diesel residue which builds up to dangerous levels at the end of the dry season. With the first soaking rain these road surfaces resemble ice skating rinks. You will see the tell tail skid marks of pick up truck tyres disappearing off the road at every corner

Driving the roads exploring The Kingdom can be great fun and an absolute joy, the roads are generally wide and well surfaced and if you follow the above rules you should be able to motor happily and safely, with a generous helping of good luck of course

• Like 2

You make some interesting comments and this could well be a lively topic!

Well lets hope so, its got to be better than 'Ford cancelled my warranty':ph34r:

A friend of my wife has just successfully received her Thai driving licence (1 year), she paid 5000 Baht for a week long crash!! course, guess how many hours were spent on the local roads??

Answer - Nil, the few hours she did get to drive her vehicle was on a driving circuit at the licencing office.

1. agree

2. agree

3. I start as early as 3 AM. No problem

4. 14 hours. Just because you don't or can't doesn't mean some else can't.

5. agree

6. If you stay below 90 kph you become a hindrance and a danger to others. I'm not advocating doing 160kph.

7. If you want to get shoot.

8. agree

9.agree

10. agree

11. agree

12. agree

13. This is anywhere just not the mountains.

I drive on a regular bases between Chiang Mai and Surin 1000 kilometers each way. Between two vehicles over 150,000 kilometers. I have seen allot of shyt and fortunately no accidents or mishaps. The roads her are quit good and they are allways making improvements. Safe and happy motoring.

I agree with a lot of the first post but I think the absolute injunctions against driving at night and driving alone are unrealistic and unnecessary. Thailand may be rough in places but it's not Iraq. ph34r.gif

I've driven thousands of kilometres on Thai roads at night and alone without problems, including during the peak of the recent emergency, when I drove from BKK airport into deepest darkest Red Shirt country from 11pm until 6 am the next day. Although on that trip I was not alone, but taking my 70 year-old mother to meet her granddaughter for the first time. She had been so frightened by the news broadcasts and travel warnings, she was expecting something like the Fall of Saigon. But we hardly even saw a cop on the motorways, although the gas stations were all shut so it was a good thing we had rented a diesel and could get 450 km on one tank..

I like driving the Thai motorways at night when I have to make that journey, they are almost empty. The last few hours on highways and country roads are more challenging and require care. But even so there are almost no other vehicles or trucks much after 10pm. My wife tells me this is because many people fear ghosts when driving at night.

Edited by tommet

Hi tommet

Some comments upon my experience:

2) Driving at night can be very stressful and tiring, indeed...! But I often drive at night around Hua Hin, where I live.

6) To my knowledge, there are only a few speeding radars or cameras around. The most common way "measuring" speeding is by watching if you drive a long distance on the right lane. So often change to the middle or left lane, when you are fast under way. I generally drive 120 to 140 km/h (depends on traffic, of course!) from Hua Hin to Bangkok and newer got a problem.

8) I would argue that the parking light are useless because they cannot be seen from a certain distance on. I always drive with the headlights on. Even my Thai wife get used to this, because it helps a lot when driving "faster".

Hi

I have been driving/riding here for 10 years and, nock on wood, never had an accident, and i speed drive at night well lets say i do a lot of the stuff you say not to do, does that mean i am a dam_n good driver or?? BTW 18.000 on a Harley one year, no problem with bike or me.

As far as I know, as in most countries, PARKINGLIGHTS are for parking only, not driving, and illegal to use while driving.

the rest is perhaps good advice for those needing to cover max 400 km a day and have limited driving skills

doing 90 kmh or less, you usually have no right to be in the right lane, and if you are there you probably use it illegally, thus I question your advice to keep changing lanes

Thai Police has only e a few speeding cameras, so radar and laser is still most frequent tool to catch speeders

1. agree

2. agree

3. I start as early as 3 AM. No problem

4. 14 hours. Just because you don't or can't doesn't mean some else can't.

5. agree

6. If you stay below 90 kph you become a hindrance and a danger to others. I'm not advocating doing 160kph.

7. If you want to get shoot.

8. agree

9.agree

10. agree

11. agree

12. agree

13. This is anywhere just not the mountains.

I drive on a regular bases between Chiang Mai and Surin 1000 kilometers each way. Between two vehicles over 150,000 kilometers. I have seen allot of shyt and fortunately no accidents or mishaps. The roads her are quit good and they are allways making improvements. Safe and happy motoring.

re your comment about no 7,,,,, you must live in Phuke et

Regarding driving with your parking lights or headlights on. I like to drive on highways and country roads with headlights on during the day and have done this several times in Thailand's but have received a lot of headlight flashing in return. On another post on TV i read a post that said it was illegal to drive with your headlights on in daylight as this is reserved for police , emergency vehicles and government officials . Can anybody clarify this ??

Also as a postscript - i really like the LED lights surrounding the headlights of the new Audi's and Mercs and solves the problem of headlights/parking lights in daylight. A bit of intelligent design . . Unfortunately i can't afford one of these cars yet.!!!

Regarding driving with your parking lights or headlights on. I like to drive on highways and country roads with headlights on during the day and have done this several times in Thailand's but have received a lot of headlight flashing in return. On another post on TV i read a post that said it was illegal to drive with your headlights on in daylight as this is reserved for police , emergency vehicles and government officials . Can anybody clarify this ??

Also as a postscript - i really like the LED lights surrounding the headlights of the new Audi's and Mercs and solves the problem of headlights/parking lights in daylight. A bit of intelligent design . . Unfortunately i can't afford one of these cars yet.!!!

driving with headlights on in daytime is mandatory for morcycles and allowed for cars and trucks. Driving with PARKINGLIGHTS is not allowed, its for parking only

driving with headlights on in daytime is mandatory for morcycles and allowed for cars and trucks. Driving with PARKINGLIGHTS is not allowed, its for parking only

What are these "parking lights" of which you speak? The intermediate step on the headlight dial are "running lights". And they are for meant to be for driving during the day, although they don't seem to be much use for that. Yet in some countries those are exactly the lights that you are required to operate during the day, not the headlights.

The term "parking lights" supposedly refers to dimmed front lights only, either the headlamp or an auxilliary. In some cars, such as older Volkswagens, only the driver side front headlight operates as a parking light - which you activate by leaving the headlights in "running light" mode before switching off the engine (I used to think this was an electrical fault on a Golf I had once, but a German I met explained it was a feature.)

Also, on a Vigo at least those front "secondary lights" are sited on the inside of the headlight, about half a metre away from the side of the car. Since the idea of parking lights is to warn about the extent of the parked car, the vigo ones are useless for that. The Vigo fog light position would be the right place, but I don't think you can leave the fogs on with the car off - or if you'd want to.

Edited by tommet

Agree on insurance and motorcycles, but not much else.

• Drive with your lights on (except @ night) = invitation to be stopped at each and every checkpoint on your journey. In addition, using a car charger for your phone = invitation for a complete vehicle search. Thai police like stopping cars/people that look out of the ordinary.
  • Driving at night = less traffic = higher speeds = less time, and I prefer it in mountain areas as you can see the lights of oncoming traffic before you can see the actual vehicles.
  • Driving during rain = no fear of radar or laser - neither the devices nor police work when it's raining. Plus it's easier to overtake traffic as by and large Thai's slow down quite remarkably on wet roads.
  • I routinely drive 900-1200 KM/day - how long you can drive for comes down to experience/ability
  • Always speed when possible - it saves time and therefore reduces the chances of falling asleep at the wheel.
  • Don't worry about cameras, radar or laser - just look around you - if everyone is sticking to the speed limit (unusual) then you know you're in a danger zone. Up country you'll find that Thai drivers are very good at flashing to alert of upcoming police speed checks. Worst case is 200B and some smiles at the window or 400-500B at the post office. Also disagree with refusing to speak Thai - if you can, do it, and always start off by saying "ohor.. mai pben motorway lor krup?" breaks the ice and lets them know they won't have a problem getting money at the window, and that you won't be paying tourist rates ;)
  • Only thing to beware of in BKK is over-zealous and sometimes by-the-book police officers. Keep a few 1000THB bills handy if driving there on non-BKK plates as you're target #1.

This is from 8 years, 6 cars and > 300,000 KM driven in Thailand :)

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

MRO - you too makes some good points.

As a retired UK HGV driver (they suspended my licence due to health issues!!!) driving hours were a constant issue.

You could only drive 9 hours per day or 90 hours over a two week period, there were occaisons where you could drive for longer but they always clawed it back from you with mandatory rest periods etc.

If I did more than 450 km's in a day, that was pushing it. Thats in your ref to 900+ klicks per day.

With being stopped by Thai Police, I have been fined from 100 to 1000 Baht by the Highway patrols- the Brown & Yellows and 400 Baht in a radar trap by the city provincial Police, and though I speak fairly good Thai/Laos the so & so's still took my licence off me!!.

The last time was on the way to play golf and I sent one of the caddy girls to pay the fine and get my licence back.

Anyone who thinks Bangkok drivers are the most dangerous in the country has obviously never driven in Chiang Mai.

In Chiang Mai we always look out for the visiting number plates.

Bangkok: self-appointed kings of the road, usually juggling 2 phones, no seat belts, no mirrors, no consideration, no nothing.

Lamphun: slow and dangerous.

Lampang: fast and dangerous.

In Chiang Mai you would be better off looking out for idiotic motorbike riders rather than staring at number plates, although if that's a habit that many drivers have developed up here then it would explain the terrible driving.

Edited by inthepink

What are these "parking lights" of which you speak? The intermediate step on the headlight dial are "running lights". And they are for meant to be for driving during the day, although they don't seem to be much use for that. Yet in some countries those are exactly the lights that you are required to operate during the day, not the headlights.

The term "parking lights" supposedly refers to dimmed front lights only, either the headlamp or an auxilliary. In some cars, such as older Volkswagens, only the driver side front headlight operates as a parking light - which you activate by leaving the headlights in "running light" mode before switching off the engine (I used to think this was an electrical fault on a Golf I had once, but a German I met explained it was a feature.)

Also, on a Vigo at least those front "secondary lights" are sited on the inside of the headlight, about half a metre away from the side of the car. Since the idea of parking lights is to warn about the extent of the parked car, the vigo ones are useless for that. The Vigo fog light position would be the right place, but I don't think you can leave the fogs on with the car off - or if you'd want to.

The first position on the light switch is called "PARKINGLIGHTS" in EU. You did point them out on your VIGO. They are illegal to use while driving in EU, they are supposed to show other people there is a car parked roadside. In US they are different (DOT), usually orange and usually a part of indicator and I dont know if they also come with a different name. Still useless if your wish is to be seen.

In Canada high beams with reduced voltage is used as automatic daytime "drivinglights".

In EU foglights are illegal to use while parked, "PARKINGLIGHTS" only. Some German cars can activate one sides "PARKINGLIGHTS" by leaving this sides indicator on after switching off ignition.

I think you mean sidelights and they are certainly not illegal to use when driving in the UK although I don't know about the rest of the EU.

Yes they are!....there are no circumstances in the UK when you can drive on sidelights.

I think you mean sidelights and they are certainly not illegal to use when driving in the UK although I don't know about the rest of the EU.

Yes they are!....there are no circumstances in the UK when you can drive on sidelights.

It doesn't matter how many times you post, it won't make it true! For a start you can drive in a built up area (30mph limit) where there are street lights, during the hours of darkness with only your sidelights on.

I can think of no reason why they would be illegal to use during the day either and have never heard of such a law in the UK.

The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations (1989) only specify when they must be used, not when they mustn't...

Edited by inthepink

The first position on the light switch is called "PARKINGLIGHTS" in EU. You did point them out on your VIGO. They are illegal to use while driving in EU, they are supposed to show other people there is a car parked roadside. In US they are different (DOT), usually orange and usually a part of indicator and I dont know if they also come with a different name. Still useless if your wish is to be seen.

In Canada high beams with reduced voltage is used as automatic daytime "drivinglights".

In EU foglights are illegal to use while parked, "PARKINGLIGHTS" only. Some German cars can activate one sides "PARKINGLIGHTS" by leaving this sides indicator on after switching off ignition.

I'm sorry but you seem to be varying your point.

But anyway, go ahead and call them what you want there's no need to blow smoke about what you think is "illegal" in "Europe", a composite of 20 countries with as many variations in driving laws. Or what's "illegal" in Thailand, for that. And have you actually ever seen them used here for parking?

Edited by tommet

Hi,

I'm sure the OP means well, but I admit that most of what was written didn't apply to me.

Without wishing to overly criticize, driving depends on age/physical abilities and the condition of your car. If you are 65, then sticking to 'day time' driving is great, but if your eyes work OK, everyone knows that driving after 8pm is by far the best way to travel any long distance in LOS... loads less traffic, not as hot...

Also, I had to chuckle - the OP said it is important to have fully comp insurance, yet professes to never having had an accident. Surely in that case, it would have better for the OP to have bet on himself not having an accident, and paid the basic third party? (but new car, maybe free insurance?)

Finally, just for information, the province is 'Lampang', not Lumpang... easily confused with Lamphun I know.

Cheers and safe driving to everyone: each to their own style I say,

James

Yes - sorry I was wrong - it's just that there are no circumstances when you need them. during the day your can use "Driving" lights (as fitted to Volvos) in poor light you must use your headlamps - so if you ever think there is a time when sidelights are useable when driving this is not the case - even parking in urban streets they are not required - and I think you'll find they are not even required in unlit roads. bvasivcally in UK side lights are redundant.

Of in thailand there is a tendency not to use any lights until it's pitch dark. In some countries (I'm not sure about Thailand) it is ILLEGAL to use headlights during the day.......presumably this is because you might be mistaken for a VIP

Well you're not the only one. It seems there are a lot of people who think it isn't legal.

The case I mentioned though (driving in a 30mph zone in a built up area at night) is the one exception where you do need sidelights (and registration plate lights) but not headlights.

Well you're not the only one. It seems there are a lot of people who think it isn't legal.

The case I mentioned though (driving in a 30mph zone in a built up area at night) is the one exception where you do need sidelights (and registration plate lights) but not headlights.

I'm about 10 years out of date - but I'm 99% sure - I'm not going to look it up - when I was in UK you couldn't do that. - drive ANYWHERE on sidelights

Well the lighting regulations state that position lights (sidelights) and registration plate lights must be lit at all times in between sunset and sunrise and that headlamps must be used everywhere, "during the hours of darkness, except on a road which is a restricted road for the purposes of section 81 of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 by virtue of a system of street lighting when it is lit" (which is referring to a 30mph road in a built up area with street lamps placed not further than 200 yards apart).

Therefore, if you must have your sidelights on at all times and you do not need to use headlamps on restricted roads then it follows that on a restricted road you can drive with only your sidelights on.

Those regulations would have been in effect 10 years ago.