Pheu Thai Attacks Bt170-Bn Defence Budget

webfact

2011 BUDGET BILL

Pheu Thai attacks Bt170-bn defence budget

By SATIEN WIRIYAPANPONGSA

THE NATION

The Opposition Pheu Thai Party yesterday attacked the Defence Ministry's 2011 budget of Bt170.2 billion, alleging that a substantial portion of the funds would be used to return favours via procurement schemes.

The defence budget is part of the 2011 national budget worth Bt2.07 trillion, which goes into effect on October 1.

The Parliament is due to vote on the budget today.

Anudit Nakorntap, Bangkok MP for Pheu Thai, told Parliament yesterday that the defence budget, which accounts for 1.5 per cent of the GDP, involved the procurement of military hardware and was therefore, prone to corruption.

Preechaphon Pongpanich, Pheu Thai's MP for Khon Kaen, complained that the Opposition did not have proper access to details of the budget. He said he was only given five minutes to scan the entire document, which was provided by Democrat MP Suwaroj Palang during a parliamentary deliberation on the defence budget.

The Pheu Thai MP also cast doubt over the purchase of 12 Grippen jets at the combined price of Bt35 billion, whereas the 24 Grippens bought by Romania only cost Bt50 billion. In other words, Thailand paid nearly Bt3 billion per jet, while Romania paid slightly over Bt2 billion per unit.

"In addition, there were irregularities in the procurement of 16 helicopters, which resulted in a lawsuit by companies that were left at a disadvantage," he said.

In response, Democrat MP Suwaroj said the defence budget document carried some classified information, so access was restricted.

Meanwhile, outgoing Army chief General Anupong Paochinda said the parliamentary checks-and-balances mechanism and the budget debate were good, but they should be based on facts.

He said spending 1.4 to 1.5 per cent of the GDP was not too high because most countries in the region spent about 2 per cent of their GDP on defence.

This defence budget is appropriate because there is a relatively low level of threats from outside, he said.

Anupong added that the 2011 procurement plans were consistent with the armed forces' long-term development programmes covering several years.

"It's not like the Army chief just got up in the morning and went to the market to buy this or that. Most of the military procurement plans are part of bigger packages that are thought out well in advance," he said.

On the controversial procurement of armoured vehicles from Ukraine, he said the Army was ready for scrutiny by the Office of the Auditor-General.

The Opposition also told Parliament that the Interior Ministry, Agriculture Ministry and Education Ministry were ranked the highest in terms of unscrupulous procurements. It also claimed that the Bt25.5 billion allocated to the PM's Office was far too much, especially since the funds will be used to do public relations work for the government via state-owned Channel 11.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-08-20

He said spending 1.4 to 1.5 per cent of the GDP was not too high because most countries in the region spent about 2 per cent of their GDP on defence.

ASEAN countries military expenditure as a percent of GDP

?.? (unreported) Myanmar

4.1 Singapore

3.9 Brunei

2.4 Vietnam

2.0 Malaysia

1.5 Thailand

1.1 Cambodia

1.0 Indonesia

0.8 Philippines

0.4 Laos

ASEAN average (not counting unreported Myanmar) = 1.9

On a world scale of military expenditure as a percent of GDP, Thailand ranks at # 89.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_military_expenditures

The Pheu Thai MP also cast doubt over the purchase of 12 Grippen jets at the combined price of Bt35 billion, whereas the 24 Grippens bought by Romania only cost Bt50 billion. In other words, Thailand paid nearly Bt3 billion per jet, while Romania paid slightly over Bt2 billion per unit.

Romania didn't buy 24 Grippens, they bought 24 second hand F-16s. Also ignores the fact that the Thai deal wasn't just for the 12 fighters.

Romania didn't buy 24 Grippens, they bought 24 second hand F-16s. Also ignores the fact that the Thai deal wasn't just for the 12 fighters.

As they say: 'never let the truth get in the way of a good story'. I'm sure when asked the PT MP will say one of his aids might have mixed up minor details. Maybe he will even confess to an 'honest' mistake.

Pheu Thai attacks Bt170-bn defence budget

Well, they would wouldn't they? After all they've little else to do. Being in opposition is no fun, but somebody's got to do it.

Meanwhile, in other Pheu Thai Party news, they moved their headquarters yesterday to improve its feng shui. As they believed the number 9 would bring them good luck, the move occurred on August 19 at 9.59 AM.

They have moved into a rented space at the OAI Tower, which is coincidentally owned by the still-out-on-bail-despite-a-two-year-old-conviction-and-three-year-prison-sentence Potjaman.

Chavalit Yongchaiyudh, led party executives in moving three images of Phra Phrairee Phinat, who is believed to have the power to destroy the enemies of its owner.

The building was the former headquarters for both the Thai Rak Thai Party and the People Power Party, both of which were dissolved for electoral fraud.

As for "good luck", during the opening day ceremonies when Thai Rak Thai Party moved into the location (July 2005), Thaksin and Pojaman's chauffeur, while backing into a parking space, accidentally hit the car of the couple’s youngest child, Paetongtarn Shinawatra. :giggle:

and oh, btw, before vacating yesterday, the Pheu Thai Party headquarters were at the Shinawatra Thai Silk building on Bangkok’s Rama IV road.

?.? (unreported) Myanmar

4.1 Singapore

3.9 Brunei

2.4 Vietnam

2.0 Malaysia

1.5 Thailand

1.1 Cambodia

1.0 Indonesia

0.8 Philippines

0.4 Laos

On a world scale of military expenditure as a percent of GDP, Thailand ranks at # 89.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_military_expenditures

Based on that wikipedia page that shows the 2009 military spending of 152 countries as % of 2008 GDP, the average is 2.23% and the median is 1.6%. It also shows Thailand's spending as % of GDP has not grown.

The following countries have higher or equal military spending as % of GDP than Thailand:

Eritrea                    20.90%
Georgia                    8.50% 
Saudi Arabia               8.20% 
Oman                       7.70% 
Israel                     7.00% 
Chad                       6.60% 
United Arab Emirates       5.90% 
Jordan                     5.90% 
Iraq                       5.40% 
Sudan                      4.40% 
United States              4.30% 
Yemen                      4.20% 
Singapore                  4.10% 
Burundi                    4.00% 
Lebanon                    3.90% 
Brunei                     3.90% 
Azerbaijan                 3.80% 
Guinea-Bissau              3.80% 
Colombia                   3.70% 
Kyrgyzstan                 3.70% 
Mauritania                 3.70% 
Djibouti                   3.70% 
Greece                     3.60% 
Sri Lanka                  3.60% 
Russian Federation         3.50% 
Chile                      3.50% 
Namibia                    3.50% 
Morocco                    3.40% 
Syria                      3.40% 
Armenia                    3.30% 
Kuwait                     3.20% 
Algeria                    3.00% 
Angola                     3.00% 
Bahrain                    3.00% 
Turkmenistan               2.90% 
South Korea                2.80% 
Iran                       2.70% 
Ukraine                    2.70% 
Botswana                   2.70% 
India                      2.60% 
Pakistan                   2.60% 
United Kingdom             2.50% 
Vietnam                    2.40% 
Bulgaria                   2.40% 
Serbia                     2.40% 
Sierra Leone               2.40% 
France                     2.30% 
Egypt                      2.30% 
Uganda                     2.30% 
Turkey                     2.20% 
Estonia                    2.20% 
Guinea                     2.20% 
Tajikistan                 2.20% 
Republic of China (Taiwan) 2.10% 
China                      2.00% 
Poland                     2.00% 
Portugal                   2.00% 
Malaysia                   2.00% 
Albania                    2.00% 
Zambia                     2.00% 
Nepal                      2.00% 
Croatia                    1.90% 
Latvia                     1.90% 
Kenya                      1.90% 
Afghanistan                1.90% 
Mali                       1.90% 
Swaziland                  1.90% 
Togo                       1.90% 
Uzbekistan                 1.90% 
Zimbabwe                   1.90% 
Australia                  1.80% 
Cyprus                     1.80% 
Republic of Macedonia      1.80% 
Italy                      1.70% 
Senegal                    1.60% 
Lesotho                    1.60% 
Central African Republic   1.60% 
Brazil                     1.50% 
Romania                    1.50% 
Slovakia                   1.50% 
Belarus                    1.50% 
Slovenia                   1.50% 
Lithuania                  1.50% 
Cote d'Ivoire              1.50% 
Cameroon                   1.50% 
Bolivia                    1.50% 
Rwanda                     1.50% 
Malawi                     1.50% 

Peua Thai would know, wouldn't they? I mean about corruption. Guess they feel they should be at the trough?

Seriously, opposition is about keeping the government in check. So its normal/expected to see them raise this?

?.? (unreported) Myanmar

4.1 Singapore

3.9 Brunei

2.4 Vietnam

2.0 Malaysia

1.5 Thailand

1.1 Cambodia

1.0 Indonesia

0.8 Philippines

0.4 Laos

Now lwt's put the numbers in context. Singapore and Brunei have lots of money. Singapore has an infrastructure and health system that is on par with the EU, if not superior. Vietnam faces an imminent threat from China. Malaysia's equipment has been heavily focused on civil protection needs, particularly truck fleets and air rescue. And what of Thailand? If one wishes to use GDP, then it should be closer to 1 because Thailand cannot even provide basics like a decent health care or education system. It's very simple. Leave the navy and airforce budgets as is, but slash the army budget.. It is the army and airforce that shoulder sea and air rescue and that protect the nations sovereignty in the areas most at risk. The army won't be able to help once China is in the Spratley's.

De fence budget must not be disclosed. Else neighboring countries will know how much weapon we have. Keep it top secret please.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Quick get on a plane and tell the USA, Canada, Australia, the EU that they must quash transparency and good government because the "enemies" may know. Sorry to burst your bubble, but the enemies already know when General Anupong has a bowel movement and a conscript goes in to clean up. The discussion of the budget is intended to keep a lid on abuse and corruption. It can also highlight inappropriate purchases. How else to find out the amount set aside for general staff golf clubs and for entertaining?

BTW, Thailand has enemies? Really??? Just who is planning on attacking? I don't think Cambodia is interested. Nor is Burma. OMG, unless you mean Laos? Quick, to the tuktuk, we must warn the nation. You head north , I'll head to the Big 1 for an ice cream bar. Let me know if you have rallied the nation to be prepared from the Laotian forces traveling by rickshaw.

Peua Thai would know, wouldn't they? I mean about corruption. Guess they feel they should be at the trough?

Seriously, opposition is about keeping the government in check. So its normal/expected to see them raise this?

What does surprise me is that they manage to keep on rambling for days without real constructive input. Next week to continue. Does this mean that to prepare the budget not enough details are provided? No (minimal) input from the opposition asked? Just what the government thinks to be able to get away with? Seems to work a bit better in other countries.

If one wishes to use GDP, then it should be closer to 1 because Thailand cannot even provide basics like a decent health care or education system.
Thailand's budget spending on education is at 4% of GDP. The world average is around 5% of GDP.

US federal budget spending on education is now at 7% of GDP, which has been sharply rising for the past few years from under 6%: http://www.usgovernmentspending.com/downchart_gs.php?year=2000_2010&view=1&expand=&units=p&fy=fy11&chart=20-total&bar=0&stack=1&size=l&title=&state=US&color=c&local=s

De fence budget must not be disclosed. Else neighboring countries will know how much weapon we have. Keep it top secret please.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Quick get on a plane and tell the USA, Canada, Australia, the EU that they must quash transparency and good government because the "enemies" may know. Sorry to burst your bubble, but the enemies already know when General Anupong has a bowel movement and a conscript goes in to clean up. The discussion of the budget is intended to keep a lid on abuse and corruption. It can also highlight inappropriate purchases. How else to find out the amount set aside for general staff golf clubs and for entertaining?

BTW, Thailand has enemies? Really??? Just who is planning on attacking? I don't think Cambodia is interested. Nor is Burma. OMG, unless you mean Laos? Quick, to the tuktuk, we must warn the nation. You head north , I'll head to the Big 1 for an ice cream bar. Let me know if you have rallied the nation to be prepared from the Laotian forces traveling by rickshaw.

I'm beginning to think the simple schoolgirl avatars on here represent some CSOC trainees trying out their psyops skills. What do you think?

Still it beats a truncheon and crocodile clips. :wacko:

If you have a look here you will see that Thailand spends nearly 30% of the annual budget on education. This is higher than any other nation.

http://www.visualeconomics.com/how-countries-spend-their-money/

I'm afraid it's more a question of quality rather than quantity.

I've stated this before on other threads, but I personally do not believe the education system in and of itself is to blame. I believe it is the poor parenting and various aspects of Thai culture that ensures the education system fails the students. I make these statements and observations after working in Thai schools for nearly a decade.

No matter how good the teachers, resources, or materials used in the classroom, unless the students are motivated to do their homework, study for tests, and do those things necessary to learn without cheating or copying then all that time spent in schools will not achieve the desired results.

I am not saying that the education system is perfect. There is substantial room for improvement and I think most teachers and administrators, Thai and foreign alike, are trying to do just that. Sure there are some dinosaurs in the ranks who rely on poor teaching and management methodologies and get poor results. These teachers and administrators will eventually leave the field as they retire and are replaced by new ones who have been trained in more modern and effective techniques.

Edited by way2muchcoffee

If you have a look here you will see that Thailand spends nearly 30% of the annual budget on education. This is higher than any other nation.

http://www.visualeconomics.com/how-countries-spend-their-money/

I'm afraid it's more a question of quality rather than quantity.

I've stated this before on other threads, but I personally do not believe the education system in and of itself is to blame. I believe it is the poor parenting and various aspects of Thai culture that ensures the education system fails the students. I make these statements and observations after working in Thai schools for nearly a decade.

No matter how good the teachers, resources, or materials used in the classroom, unless the students are motivated to do their homework, study for tests, and do those things necessary to learn without cheating or copying then all that time spent in schools will not achieve the desired results.

I am not saying that the education system is perfect. There is substantial room for improvement and I think most teachers and administrators, Thai and foreign alike, are trying to do just that. Sure there are some dinosaurs in the ranks who rely on poor teaching and management methodologies and get poor results. These teachers and administrators will eventually leave the field as they retire and are replaced by new ones who have been trained in more modern and effective techniques.

I think you touch on the classical 'chicken or egg' problem. With parents fixed in their ideas and various 'cultural' aspects educating the young ones seems the way to go, break through the old pattern. Takes time though.

I prepare quality lessons. I prepare quality project work. I teach well, at least according to my students, their parents, and the administration. I get decent results.

What I cannot do is ensure that students do the homework on their own. What I cannot do is ensure students don't attempt to cheat. Can I improve? Of course. And I endeavor to every day.

-- snip

Edited by george