Thai Court Grants Extradition Of Alleged Russian Arms Dealer Viktor Bout

webfact

Thai court grants extradition of alleged Russian arms dealer

BANGKOK, August 20, 2010 (AFP) - A Thai appeals court on Friday granted a request by the United States to extradite Viktor Bout, an alleged Russian arms dealer dubbed the "Merchant of Death", on terrorism charges.

Bout, said to have inspired the Hollywood film "Lord of War" starring Nicolas Cage, has been fighting extradition since his March 2008 arrest in Bangkok in a sting operation involving US agents.

He faces life in prison if convicted in the United States on terrorism charges, including conspiracy to kill US officers or employees and conspiracy to acquire and use an anti-aircraft missile.

His young daughter -- who attended the hearing accompanied by his wife -- broke down in tears after the court delivered its ruling.

"The court has decided to detain him for extradition to the US," judge Jitakorn Patanasiri said, overturning a ruling last year by a lower court which had refused to send him to the United States.

"This case is not political, it is a criminal matter," the judge said.

The Russian refused to talk to journalists as he was led out of court shackled at his wrists and ankles.

The United States had pressed Thailand to hand over Bout.

The US State Department called in Thai ambassador Don Pramudwinai this week "to emphasise that this is of the highest priority of the United States," spokesman Philip Crowley told reporters on Thursday.

"We believe that we've presented significant evidence to justify his extradition to the United States," he said.

US lawmakers had urged the ambassador to let authorities in Bangkok know that rejecting the request would harm ties with Washington and said the kingdom's judiciary handling of the case had not been "fair and transparent."

"We find the potential release of a man responsible for countless deaths of innocents in Africa and elsewhere simply astounding," said the group, led by House Foreign Affairs Committee Howard Berman, a Democrat.

"More so as there is little doubt that he would return to his deadly trade, arming those targeting US and Thai interests around the globe," they said in a letter delivered to the Thai embassy in Washington on Wednesday.

A US indictment accuses Bout of using a fleet of cargo planes to transport weapons and military equipment to Africa, South America and the Middle East.

During an undercover operation, Bout allegedly agreed to supply surface-to-air missiles to US anti-drug agents posing as rebels from Colombia's Marxist FARC group, which Washington considers a terrorist organisation.

A Thai criminal court ruled in August 2009 that it did not have the authority to extradite Bout because FARC was not listed as a terrorist group in Thailand -- a decision praised by Moscow.

Bout, a 43-year-old former Soviet air force pilot, speaks six languages and is known by eight different aliases.

The nickname "Merchant of Death" was coined by a former British foreign office minister and also used for a 2007 book on Bout's alleged activities.

Bout, who has been held at a maximum-security prison outside Bangkok, has denied the charges and says that he ran a legitimate air cargo business.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2010-08-20

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why do I have a feeling Khun Viktor Bout is going to successfully escape a Thai nick in the next 3 months ?......:rolleyes:

I was thinking the exact thing. Why wait 3 months to turn him over to the US?

A daring helicopter escape might me too flashy, so maybe loose handcuffs during transport...

TheWalkingMan

Agreed, seems quite odd to wait three months. I'm very confident that US could have a Jet running on the tarmac for extradition quite quickly. I guess it's a watch and see. Stay tuned.

Yes!! 3 months <deleted>??? Oh! I forgot where I am. :rolleyes:

Edited by sangfroid

Agreed, it is odd waiting 3 months having finally ruled that he be extradited but TIT and 3 months is a lot of extra shakedown time for a beached whale

Anywhere else would be glad to be rid of such a hot potato from their soil

yet odder still since LOS is so much part of US

things are not always what they seem especially on TV :lol:

Is there a mechanism for appealing the Appeal?

Some mentioned an escape...I'd already heard the prison guards were afraid of him (excuses already prepared about "dedicated but outmatched" Thai prison wardens being over--powered by trained KGB secret service agent).

One way or another, VB won't end up in the States. Even if they get him as far as an airport, I wouldn't want to be a guard on that flight...unexplained mid-air accident seems a cert.

One way or another, VB will never end up in the States.

Edited by dobadoy

I guess Lord of War got it wrong then. When Yuri Orlov gets captured by a US agent in Lord of War, he is allowed to go free because, according to the film, the US needs guys like him to supply weapons in places the US cannot be seen supplying weapons.

Edited by HC82

Yesterday the racist malcontents were frothing at the mouth that the court would let them go, now they are frothing that Thailand will let the KGB break him out :lol:

Edited by DP25

So its now offical

no one can sell weapons etc other than the USA

all competition will be locked up forever

B)

charming

Yes its kinda strange they can sell weapons, invade countries and get away with it. But when others do it..... Who made them god. Still i prefer them in power over the Chinese or the Russians. But they are hypocrites.

• Like 1

So its now offical

B)

"We find the potential release of a man responsible for countless deaths of innocents in Africa and elsewhere simply astounding," said the group, led by House Foreign Affairs Committee Howard Berman, a Democrat.

What about Vietnam and agent orange, Iraq, Afganistan etc etc, just change the word Africa in the above sentence. Bush, Cheney, Rumsfield and co should be in chains locked up with this guy. Maybe this guy had the "weapons of mass destruction" :whistling:

• Like 2

I hope he opens his mouth and telles what he did for America. I hope now that America is also convicted of trading arms with terrosist organizations like Mossad Israel.

Taliban when the where fighting the russians!!!!!.

Or is the movie charlies wilsons war not totally true like the movei lord of war!

I hope he escapes. I do not like teh Americans to get him! Hypocryts

• Like 1

Rather amusing to note though that America refuses to have its citizens extradited to face justice in another country.

Indeed dual standards are a wonderful example of true American justice

farangtopper1

I hope he opens his mouth and telles what he did for America. I hope now that America is also convicted of trading arms with terrosist organizations like Mossad Israel. TheTaliban when the where fighting the russians!!!!!.

logbags

What about Vietnam and agent orange, Iraq, Afganistan etc etc, just change the word Africa in the above sentence. Bush, Cheney, Rumsfield and co should be in chains locked up with this guy. Maybe this guy had the "weapons of mass destruction" :whistling:

Indeed two wonderful comments above that actually demonstrate clearly the level of American morality.

Edited by siampolee
  • Like 1

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2010-08-20

footer_n.gif

...says Howard Berman, who incidentally voted to authorize the use of military force in Iraq. Remember kids, if you kill thousands of people you are a terrorist, if you kill millions you can be a U.S. congressman!

angry.gif

• Like 1

"This case is not political, it is a criminal matter," the judge said - this statement is an insult to anybody who believes in an independent and impartial judiciary!

The next sentences in the article are - "The United States had pressed Thailand to hand over Bout - the US State Department called in Thai ambassador Don Pramudwinai this week "to emphasize that this is of the highest priority of the United States," spokesman Philip Crowley told reporters on Thursday."

But of course the case is not political - the judge has obviously not been influenced in his decision!

Well we all remember the Thaksin concealed assets case featuring billionaire drivers and maids - another case of "independent and impartial" Thai justice which created the mess this country is in now. An independent and impartial judiciary is the "soul" of a country - Thailand is fast loosing its "soul" piece by piece.

• Like 1

So its now offical

B)

charming

Thailand is buying Swedish fighter jets, Israeli guns, a Singaporean warship, Russian shoulder fired missiles and Chinese surface to surface missiles. I'm sure I read something about a cargo plane full on North Korean arms confiscated by Thailand as they let the people on board go free. So much for your presumption about the USA being the only arms supplier! bah.gif

Let's say american man comes to Thailand. He sets up an arms deal with an Iranian revelutionary group for surface to air missles, etc... Iranian govt has deemed said group as a terrorist orginazation and this is actually a sting operation. American man is arrested. Is he extradited to Iran?

I doubt it.

In the words of Mel Brooks "it's good to be the King"

But no reign lasts forever...

• Like 1

MERCHANT OF DEATH

Thai court rules to extradite alleged Russian arms dealer

BANGKOK: -- A Thai appeals court on Friday ruled to extradite suspected arms dealer Viktor Bout to the US, overturning a previous decision by a lower court.

Bout, after hearing the verdict, hugged his wife Alla and their daughter, both of whom were in tears.

The court said Bout, dubbed the Merchant of Death by his critics, must be extradited within three months, or else be permitted to go free, in keeping with Thailand's extradition rules.

"This verdict has damaged our relations with another country," Bout's lawyer Lak Nittiwattanawichan said. "The US government has interfered with our judicial system," he said.

Russia has pleaded with Thai authorities for Bout's freedom, claiming there was no proof that the former Soviet air force officer was an arms dealer.

His alleged exploits inspired the 2005 Hollywood movie Lord of War, starring Nicolas Cage.

Bout, 44, has been imprisoned since his arrest in Bangkok in March 2008, when he was caught in a sting operation led by US agents who posed as arms buyers for a leftist rebel group, the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia FARC).

He was indicted in the US for attempting to sell weapons to a terrorist group and Washington sought his extradition to face charges.

The Bangkok Criminal Court last year rejected the extradition request, claiming Thailand deemed FARC a political group, not terrorists, and Thai law prohibits extradition for political offences.

Prosecutors appealed the verdict.

The Bangkok Appeal Court ruled that Bout had engaged in criminal activities, not political ones, and thus should be extradited.

Public prosecutors had submitted a new case against Bout for money-laundering, in case the appeal court upheld the lower court's ruling.

It was not clear whether the prosecutors would now drop that case, which was accepted by the Criminal Court Friday.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-08-20

Russian government already accused US officials of bribing the court., which is of course inconceivable in clean Thailand. Given the fact that the RUssians were delivering the Thai government very cheap oil I assume they will review that policy after today.

If he had not sold weapons to the enemies of Israel, the U.S. wouldn't want him. The Israeli tail wags the American dog.

Since the whole VB's story started, I see NO ANY comments or reports or statements from Russian Embassy or a Council.

Seems they are not even care about one of THEIR citizen. Bad or good - he is still THEIR citizen, and who the hel_l are those US officials to demand him to be extradited directly to US? Why the hel_l RU embassy is not fighting for him until the very end of the story???

Welcome to the real world, Neo ©

As a citizen, you are only required to pay taxes - and all of your problems are yours. :(