Iphone 3Gs To 4

Lost in LOS

I am a bit confused on how this all works. I have an unlocked 3gs from true. when the 4 comes at a reasonable price I will buy that. How do I handle itunes? :

How do I now tell it I have a new phone.

How does the person I am going to give my old 3gs to use itunes

How can I transfer my apps from my 3gs to my new phone

thanks

I think, itunes will give you the option to transfer ALL items in your current Itunes library to your new device. I have 3GS & iPad, and can put most of the compatible apps on each, all other files music, photo's & videos etc copy as normal.

if you sell your iphone, you can restore it( wipe it clean) or leave the stuff on it, if another user trys to sync it with another PC it will wipe most of the data except the Free apps I think.

I just did it so here is how it works, in this sequence

1 - You tell True you want to switch to a Micro SIM - they give you one. Your phone number remains the same, but is now tied to the new micro SIM, and your old SIM card doesn't work anymore. This service costs 49 Baht.

2 - You put the new SIM in the iPhone 4 + turn it on - it then "activates". Before this happens, you can't do anything with the phone, not even connect to iTunes, so this has to come first.

3 - You connect your new phone to iTunes. iTunes verifies the phone. After that, it asks you if you want to restore from a previous iPhone. You then get a list of backups to choose from, or maybe just one. Just choose the most recent backup if you have more than one (example, I had backups of my old iPhone 1, my iPhone 3GS, and my wife's iPhone)

4 - iTunes restores the iPhone 4 from backup. Everything you had on your old phone is now on your new phone. That includes text messages, bookmarks, emails, the wallpaper, contacts - anything and everything. Apps, music, and videos too. Music syncs once the iPhone is restored from backup as the music / media files are not part of the backup - they're restored from your computer. Photos are in the backup, BTW. Your new iPhone looks exactly like your old one did after this.

Edited by nikster

1 - You tell True you want to switch to a Micro SIM - they give you one. Your phone number remains the same, but is now tied to the new micro SIM, and your old SIM card doesn't work anymore. This service costs 49 Baht.

2 - You put the new SIM in the iPhone 4 + turn it on - it then "activates". Before this happens, you can't do anything with the phone, not even connect to iTunes, so this has to come first.

3 - You connect your new phone to iTunes. iTunes verifies the phone. After that, it asks you if you want to restore from a previous iPhone. You then get a list of backups to choose from, or maybe just one. Just choose the most recent backup if you have more than one (example, I had backups of my old iPhone 1, my iPhone 3GS, and my wife's iPhone)

4 - iTunes restores the iPhone 4 from backup. Everything you had on your old phone is now on your new phone. That includes text messages, bookmarks, emails, the wallpaper, contacts - anything and everything. Apps, music, and videos too. Music syncs once the iPhone is restored from backup as the music / media files are not part of the backup - they're restored from your computer. Photos are in the backup, BTW. Your new iPhone looks exactly like your old one did after this.

thanks nikster,

did you have to go to a True shop and surrender your old sim card (normal sized card)?

thanks nikster,

did you have to go to a True shop and surrender your old sim card (normal sized card)?

Yes I had to go to the True shop. They didn't want my old SIM card, but it's disabled on the network so of no further use. As soon as the new SIM is activated, the old one is deactivated.

wow, great info, thanks. I hope I wont have a problem since I have 12call. I hope they have micro sims since I have my number for 5 years now and dont want to lose it.

thanks for the info

wow, great info, thanks. I hope I wont have a problem since I have 12call. I hope they have micro sims since I have my number for 5 years now and dont want to lose it.

I think they do.

Worst case you can just get somebody in the mall to cut your SIM down to micro-SIM size. It's the same thing, only with less cardboard around it. But obviously you need to get the dimensions right so I'd recommend having a shop do it for you, there are specialized masks for it too.

I checked on ebay and I can get an factory unlocked, Canadian, 32G, iphone 4 for about 30,000 baht. I am tempted but I am not sure how it will travel through the mail and what customs will do or charge.

I couldnt wait and got a factory unlocked iPhone 4 (Australian origin) for B32,000 at MBK in Bangkok.....works great!! ....... giving my old iPhone 3GS to my secy (but gotta reset it first).....

I checked on ebay and I can get an factory unlocked, Canadian, 32G, iphone 4 for about 30,000 baht. I am tempted but I am not sure how it will travel through the mail and what customs will do or charge.

I couldnt wait and got a factory unlocked iPhone 4 (Australian origin) for B32,000 at MBK in Bangkok.....works great!! ....... giving my old iPhone 3GS to my secy (but gotta reset it first).....

I am going to bangkok this week, where in MBK did you get this? Did you hook it up to itunes to be sure it is factory unlocked How do I tell by looking at it if it is factory unlocked?

I am going to bangkok this week, where in MBK did you get this? Did you hook it up to itunes to be sure it is factory unlocked How do I tell by looking at it if it is factory unlocked?

( a ) I bought mine on the 4th floor at MBK (at one of the mom and pop tiny counters).....the girl was selling USA iPhone 4s (which were jailbroken unlocked with a CYDIA app sitting in the menu) and also UK/Australian/HK iPhone 4s (which were factory unlocked)...

( b ) she was very upfront about which were hacked (jailbroken) unlocked and which were factory unlocked (it appeared that every customer asks)...(try to find a seller who knows what he/she is talking about....some sellers dont have a clue (and seem to be students on a break or something)....

( c ) I connected it to iTunes on my laptop at home....then updated with IOS 4.0.2 software......then restored the new iPhone 4 with my old data/apps/portfolios/contacts/notes in my iPhone 3GS..... everything duplicated in my new iPhone 4 in a jiffy (but I also downloaded from the apps store, new retina quality wallpaper)

( d ) in my new iPhone 4, at first I used a True PREpaid sim card (cost B99) and another shop cut it down to micro-size for me....but that sim did not offer much 3G speed data connection time (but did have unlimited edge/GPRS data connection)...there is a noticeable difference in speed between 3G and edge/GPRS (when surfing the internet on your phone)

( e ) because of the very limited 3G connection data amounts, I ditched that particular True sim card and then eventually went to the True shop (3rd floor) at Siam Square Digital and swapped my old existing True POSTpaid sim card (which is on a Baht 599 per month with unlimited 3G connection time) for a micro-sized sim (w same phone number)...they waived the normal B49 sim swap fee because I was an existing customer on the POSTpaid sim card.

( f ) my new iPhone 4 (and new android Samsung GalaxyS--with a PREpaid iMobile 3GX sim card) both work like a charm!

Brought my new iPhone 4 32G at MBK and followed your instructions. worked like a charm. Thanks for the help