Personal Firewall Need Advice

stats

Dear all,

Thank you for reading my thread,I have some questions about firewall...

Well i just reinstalled my Windows today and now i will have to download a firewall..

here is my detail

Note book

Windows XP SP2

Running on 1gb of ram

40gb hard disk

Avast Anti Virus...

Cable internet

Well i need to know which is the best Firewall that could keep me save...

1) Syegate firewall home user

or

2) Zone Alram home user...

Ive seen that these 2 firewall are good...but which do you recomend me???

Im always using the internet via cable or Wireless.....

I need something that will not slow me computer down...

Thank you again hope to find answers here...

Regards

TYTUS

Tytus - Whichever firewall you choose, make sure it is a bi-directional firewall (one which monitors not only incoming but also outgoing data).

Most cable and dsl modem/routers (as well as the Windows XP built-in firewall) only monitor incoming data. A good firewall, like ZoneAlarm not only monitors traffic both ways, but it is one of the few which also checks your "pre-approved" outgoing traffic against an encrypted profile, to insure the original "approved" program has not been modified by a virus or spyware.

Regardless of which software firewall you select, run the ShieldsUp and LeakTest here, to test your system for "holes". You may be suprised at the findings.

cheers :o

(PS - This subject has been discussed quite a bit in earlier threads. A quick check using the "Search" function at top of this page, will provide links to those threads.)

Thanx for you guys to reply me......As for zone alarm ...I ve heard that they tend to slow donw you PC??? is this true????

I did downloding the free Zonealarm Firewall but it seems that ZA have a problem with my Avast Anti Virus...They are confuse of each other...Zone alarm keep on saying that They dont reconize AVAST anti virus and ask me weather i wanna block them or not....

And now i unload it and have been trying Sygate firewall...As for sygate firewall i was using them for the past 8 months before i reinstalled windows..But it seems that they cant detect some adware...

And now im tottaly confuse weather to take Sygate or Zonealarm...

Zone alarm have got alot of good features which Sygate doesnt have...for example PC lock,and etc...but the only thing i heard from people is that ZOneAlarm makes your pc slow...

1)ZONEALARM

2)Sygate...

3)or any recomendation/.....

Help me decide....

thanx

Tytus

Tytus - Whichever firewall you choose, make sure it is a bi-directional firewall (one which monitors not only incoming but also outgoing data).

Most cable and dsl modem/routers (as well as the Windows XP built-in firewall) only monitor incoming data. A good firewall, like ZoneAlarm not only monitors traffic both ways, but it is one of the few which also checks your "pre-approved" outgoing traffic against an encrypted profile, to insure the original "approved" program has not been modified by a virus or spyware.

Regardless of which software firewall you select, run the ShieldsUp and LeakTest here, to test your system for "holes". You may be suprised at the findings.

cheers :D

(PS - This subject has been discussed quite a bit in earlier threads. A quick check using the "Search" function at top of this page, will provide links to those threads.)

I agree Waldwolf

Monitoring traffic in and out is vitally important. Zonealarm offers good protection. After using Norton, AVG and others in the past a find Zonealram is the best. I have never had any problems with speed etc.

Zonealarm Suite is very good and offers a good alround package for protection.

:o

Edited by lopburiguy

Thanx for you guys to reply me......As for zone alarm ...I ve heard that they tend to slow donw you PC??? is this true????

I did downloding the free Zonealarm Firewall but it seems that ZA have a problem with my Avast Anti Virus...They are confuse of each other...Zone alarm keep on saying that They dont reconize AVAST anti virus and ask me weather i wanna block them or not....

And now i unload it and have been trying Sygate firewall...As for sygate firewall i was using them for the past 8 months before i reinstalled windows..But it seems that they cant detect some adware...

And now im tottaly confuse weather to take Sygate or Zonealarm...

Zone alarm have got alot of good features which Sygate doesnt have...for example PC lock,and etc...but the only thing i heard from people is that ZOneAlarm makes your pc slow...

1)ZONEALARM

2)Sygate...

3)or any recomendation/.....

Help me decide....

thanx

Tytus

1) Zone Alarm - 100% recommendation.

I'm not saying Sygate is not good - I just don't know enough about it. I do know that Zone Alarm (free) is very well established and has many very satisfied users. I've never heard that it slows down your system - although the Pro version might?

If Zone Alarm has a problem with Avast anti-virus (and if it can't be fixed by re-installing/configuration), the solution is simple: get rid of Avast and install something like AVG. I use Zone Alarm (free version) with AVG and I have no problems at all on an old Pentium III 450 with 512Mb memory.

If you want to read a lot more about firewall/anti-virus combinations take a look at this link:

http://help.lockergnome.com/index.php?show...aded&show=&st=&

I run Zone Alarm with Avast with no conflict at all.

The alerts that you see are probably the regular updates of the virus database(Avast)

Unlike AVG, where you need to remember to update your virus database, Avast does that automatically.

So the next time, you see that ZA alert, click 'allow' and tick 'remember this decision'. This will put put Avast on your 'allow' list. No more 'pop ups' asking if you want to allow this.

In addition to this, everytime you connect to the internet, Avast will almost immediatelyattempt to update the program and database. This can be a little annoying if you have a slow internet connection and a low spec computer.

If there are no updates to be had, then the connection won't be 'tied up' and nothing will be installed.

But if there is an update available; ie. program and virus database, then of course, there will be some activity on your computer which may slow your initial use.

On a 'normal' PC with a broadband connection this is hardly noticeable.

Because of this Avast keep your PC well protected.

Zone Alarm doesn't slow your PC.

Wow thanx you guys for the recomendation...Yes well i am using avast and Sygate firewall...As far as what i can see....Zone Alarm is the best firewall system for home users...

I think im going to give it a try for ZA...

Thanx again for letting me know all this....

Regards

TYTUS

ok well i just upgraded to the Zone Alarm PRo...There is a problem Google mail...

When i receives an email ...in that email includes a link to thai visa newsletter forum...

The problem now is that when i tried to click on the link i am unable to click it...seems that Zone alarm have enabled something..so anyone knows how to configure there???

Hiya all

Do not know about you guys and gals, but the grey icon box on AVG firewall used to go grey for no reason... I checked it out and what I found was not good. It seems to turn itself off from updating and loses its connection..why who knows.

I would not like to trust a firewall that does not update and seems to not respond! Heres a little link about it and many more if you google it.

http://help.lockergnome.com/index.php?act=ST&f=65&t=31473

ok well i just upgraded to the Zone Alarm PRo...There is a problem Google mail...

When i receives an email ...in that email includes a link to thai visa newsletter forum...

The problem now is that when i tried to click on the link i am unable to click it...seems that Zone alarm have enabled something..so anyone knows how to configure there???

tytus - If your using Internet Explorer and Outlook or Outlook Express, check that IE is designated as your default browser and your associations (URL:File Transfer Protocol) has been correctly set, so it points to the default browser. (More info here or look up associations in Windows XP's START > HELP & SUPPORT.)

I doubt ZoneAlarm had anything to do with your problem, most likely it occured either when you reinstalled XP or if you later installed another browser, like Firefox.

good luck :o

Hiya all

Do not know about you guys and gals, but the grey icon box on AVG firewall used to go grey for no reason... I checked it out and what I found was not good.  It seems to turn itself off from updating and loses its connection..why who knows.

I would not like to trust a firewall that does not update and seems to not respond!  Heres a little link about it and many more if you google it.

hi'

some firewall and antivirus can be disabled by some virus or worms ...

and avg is vulnerable to this for some :D

get Zone Alarm (free) or register it, but it's one of the best, and updates are annouced, so you have time to do the update when you wish :D

francois

The alerts that you see are probably the regular updates of the virus database(Avast)

Unlike AVG, where you need to remember to update your virus database, Avast does that automatically.

So the next time, you see that ZA alert, click 'allow' and tick 'remember this decision'. This will put put Avast on your 'allow' list. No more 'pop ups' asking if you want to allow this.

In addition to this, everytime you connect to the internet, Avast will almost immediatelyattempt to update the program and database. This can be a little annoying if you have a slow internet connection and a low spec computer.

If there are no updates to be had, then the connection won't be 'tied up' and nothing will be installed.

But if there is an update available; ie. program and virus database, then of course, there will be some activity on your computer which may slow your initial use.

[My bold emphasis in the quote above]

AVG will automatically attempt to update itself every time you start Windows.

Hiya all

Do not know about you guys and gals, but the grey icon box on AVG firewall used to go grey for no reason... I checked it out and what I found was not good.  It seems to turn itself off from updating and loses its connection..why who knows.

I would not like to trust a firewall that does not update and seems to not respond!  Heres a little link about it and many more if you google it.

hi'

some firewall and antivirus can be disabled by some virus or worms ...

and avg is vulnerable to this for some :D

get Zone Alarm (free) or register it, but it's one of the best, and updates are annouced, so you have time to do the update when you wish :D

francois

Hi, yeah I updated some while ago and got the ZA Suite which is all in one and it runs well. Updates auto and certainly doesnt go grey or lose connections. I looked into it more and found AVG were in my opinion not the best choice.

:D

Edited by lopburiguy

I've tried ZA (WinXP) and it wasn't perfect for me, I think there were software conflicts that crashed some programs. It also often crashed my Win98 machine.

Since then I've tried most of the firewalls mentioned here and currently use Sygate on WinXP and Kerio on Win98, though I think that WinXP built in firewall (service pack2) is good enough already.

The one that I clearly hate is from TrendMicro - I couldn't even find the controls.

As far as slowing down the computer - it's how much resources the program uses - the more services it provides, the more resources it needs. ZA, I remember, with all the bells and whistles, was a little monster. Very often firewall, antivirus, and antispyware duplicate many tasks and finetuning all three of them can be time consuming.

I've tried ZA (WinXP) and it wasn't perfect for me, I think there were software conflicts that crashed some programs. It also often crashed my Win98 machine.

Since then I've tried most of the firewalls mentioned here and currently use Sygate on WinXP and Kerio on Win98, though I think that WinXP built in firewall (service pack2) is good enough already.

The one that I clearly hate is from TrendMicro - I couldn't even find the controls.

As far as slowing down the computer - it's how much resources the program uses - the more services it provides, the more resources it needs. ZA, I remember, with all the bells and whistles, was a little monster. Very often firewall, antivirus, and antispyware duplicate many tasks and finetuning all three of them can be time consuming.

Fine tuning was water off a ducks back, i run alot of programs and have no conflictions at all. ZA suite is cool as...in MY opinion.. :o

Edited by lopburiguy

[My bold emphasis in the quote above]

AVG will automatically attempt to update itself every time you start Windows.

This may be a NEW feature for AVG 7 Free Edition. Updates had to be done manually for AVG 6.

Also, when I accidentally downloaded a virus, Avast caught in before it could affect my computer. There was no response from AVG at all.(I still use the AVG Boot Up Scanner though).

tytus - If your using Internet Explorer and Outlook or Outlook Express, check that IE is designated as your default browser and your associations (URL:File Transfer Protocol) has been correctly set, so it points to the default browser. (More info here or look up associations in Windows XP's START > HELP & SUPPORT.)

I doubt ZoneAlarm had anything to do with your problem, most likely it occured either when you reinstalled XP or if you later installed another browser, like Firefox.

good luck :o

Have you 'disabled all pop ups'?

To me ZONE ALARM have lots of conflqs with my programmes...And 1 time i cant even log into my e107 forum......When i tried disabling the Zone Alarm then its working again....Its also have confliqs with G MAIL...

Well now ive switch back to Sygate Firewall and its cool Back to normal...Tried the leach test its working fine...

Edited by george

• 2 weeks later...

use zonealarm pro and avast..no problem at all :D

have you also installed spyware program such as spybot, spywareblaster and adware programs such as ad-aware :o

i use pop for gmail to my thunderbird and it works cool, also check your browser, am using maxthon with its ads and popup blockers, all items that can conflict your firewalls :D