Dtac Air Card Problem

Lammbock

I bought a DTAC Air Card yesterday at BIG C South Pattaya. They say it runs up to 3.6 Mb/s

Here are my problems:

1. I still has the AIS Air Card Software installed on my computer and when i connect the DTAC Air Card it runs on the AIS Software. <deleted>!!! I try to change it to the DTAC Software but it always says ....exe has stopped working. That mean however my computer can not install the DTAC Air Card software and i forced to run it on AIS Software.

2. The Speed ist crappy. Its like an 56k modem speed. Same as the AIS i had previously. If there is a speed of 3.6 Mb/s it must be left in the store. :(

What a pity. I spend more than 3k THB and all i got is shit.

Maybe i did something wrong??? Maybe somebody can help me???

As i said. I am forced to run it on AIS Operation system cause if i uninstall it i can't use my DTAC Air Card cause it always says ".exe has stopped working"

Please, somebody can help me???????

Best Regards,

Lammbock

The signal drops from Full to 1 bar and back all the time.

BUT even if its shows Full Signal i don't get MB/s Speed ONLY kb/s speed.

Where the hel_l is the so called high speed????????????????????????????????????????

Why don't you ask Dtac?

"from Full to 1 bar and back all the time" might be a clue here.

@phuket Mike

You are right.

It shows me EDGE only. No 3g or HSDPA.

What a BS of DTAC. Lying Bastards !!!!

GPRS Speed: 85.6Kbps

EDGE Speed: 236.8 Kbps

HSDPA Speed: 3.6 Mbps <<---- Where????????

Is HSDPA the so called "3G" ???

But even with DTAC EDGE shouldn't it be a stabilize signal? I'm here in Laem Chabang Port. Didn't got the chance to test it in the City or Bangkok.

What a shame. :(

Edited by Lammbock

@phuket Mike

You are right.

It shows me EDGE only. No 3g or HSDPA.

What a BS of DTAC. Lying Bastards !!!!

GPRS Speed: 85.6Kbps

EDGE Speed: 236.8 Kbps

HSDPA Speed: 3.6 Mbps <<---- Where????????

Is HSDPA the so called "3G" ???

But even with DTAC EDGE shouldn't it be a stabilize signal? I'm here in Laem Chabang Port. Didn't got the chance to test it in the City or Bangkok.

What a shame. :(

...you are not the only one... I even checked the speed and it proudly showed 3Mbps...

Later I realized that DTAC didn't have any 3G.... Where did that speedtest get it's flow from... most likely was I connected to a true wifi spot at the same time... Not sure.... It was in Central Bangna at Starbucks...

Pain has no limits.... :bah: and I'm not even into it ... :lol:

Martin

I had similar problems in malaysia with a USB modem. It did get 3g but still the speeds

were like dial up for months. You paid for 6 mos upfront? right? I had to being a foreigner.

It started working though months later and getting some fast speeds so I determined it was the speed for

the entire area was bogged down. Some say because of a cable comes from the west into KL. This same cable is

fixed now but I heard it supplies Thailand as well. (The "trunk" from the trans pacific from USA )(goes through here first

I read somewhere) So then what happens is it slowed

back down so slow it wouldn't even load a page. THEN I had bought s different strange modem from an independent retailer

in the mall and the service provider shut it off from time to time like they lock out Iphones.

Then you go to the actual service provider place and they say "oh no, this is the wrong modem" then they try to

sell you another modem. (There's more) After they shut you off a few times towards the end of the contract

They send you a bill for one weeks payment like a month before the end but they don't even put your name

on it and they send it to you as an sms right to the modem. You try to create an account with the providers website

to log in and see details but it never works. They take 3 weeks to a month to answer an email and then not at all.

I guessed from the USB modem experience that they are actually trying to dump you because they only want new accounts to keep

signing up and paying the one time high fees at the beginning. There isn't enough system to go around for

all the new people and the existing customers. Probably because of a high amount of internal fraud like execs taking huge

salaries and Lear jet vacations. They could care less about expanding the network hardware.

And as I've heard like the guy up there said. Thailand - all of Thailand - doesn't really even have 3G. Thailsnd

is always in a traffic jam at dial up speed. In Malaysia there's one carrier that works if you have the old fashioned

land line and either-net modem. It's not bad but it's like 150 kbs when it's downloading correctly and 54 kbs up.

Never 3.6 like my USB modem was rated at. (And this was a landline) This is all the speed you can get out of this entire

region all though I'm not sure about that.

So anyway - sorry. Even here which is supposed to be up the road from Thailand network wise I could'nt get the USB modem to work.

I was thinking of trying again but your scareing me with these similar anger stories. I know it was sort of heart breaking that the

thing just barely could sign in for months and no file transfers. Then one day BOOM it won't sign in at all. You have to go back

to the mall and the person repropigate it. It takes half a day or a day sometimes. They're Like a mini war between the

service provider and the mom and pop independent.

Sadly this is more a case of the OP having no idea about the product that he purchased and is now simply trying to pass the blame on to the network.

Seems that he isn't the only person on this thread with no idea.

You are perfectly able to obtain access to 3g via a PAYG mobile SIM in Malaysia. Not need for a six month contract as mentioned.

If people don't educate themselves before purchase, they are liable to make stupid mistakes.

Sadly this is more a case of the OP having no idea about the product that he purchased and is now simply trying to pass the blame on to the network.

Seems that he isn't the only person on this thread with no idea.

You are perfectly able to obtain access to 3g via a PAYG mobile SIM in Malaysia. Not need for a six month contract as mentioned.

If people don't educate themselves before purchase, they are liable to make stupid mistakes.

What a BS you talking.

How can i possible know that the exact location where i am working for the time of the next 6 weeks don't support 3.6 Mbps?

Common Man...

...and what i have to do with Malaysia??? If you from Malaysia and having 3G than be happy and leave us alone. :rolleyes:

Edited by Lammbock

I'm using AIS aircard in Chaiyaphum district. The download un-speed is 236 kbps. TOT told me the govt ony allows 20 internet connections for this village of 200 homes. Yet TOT in KhanKhlor told us I could get a satellite dish and internet and they would charge Bt 2,600 per month. I think that's outrageous. Unfortunately True or others do not offer any alternatives.

Are there any other options? Oh how I hope so.

cheers,

Keoki

It's indeed a bit misleading to mark the boxes of the modems with "up to 3.6 Mbps"

Sure enough, the modem can handle that, only the mobile operators do not have a 3G network (which in the case of Dtac, AIS and true is HSDPA).

TOT along with True have 3G in parts of Bangkok, AIS has 3G in Chiang Mai and in Bang Saen (Chonburi).

So, regardless whether you use AIS or Dtac in Laem Chabang, you'll only be getting Edge, which tops out at 0.23 Mbps...

I'm using AIS aircard in Chaiyaphum district. The download un-speed is 236 kbps. TOT told me the govt ony allows 20 internet connections for this village of 200 homes. Yet TOT in KhanKhlor told us I could get a satellite dish and internet and they would charge Bt 2,600 per month. I think that's outrageous. Unfortunately True or others do not offer any alternatives.

cheers,

Keoki

Try and find the local CAT office (Communications Authority of Thailand).

They operate a CDMA EV-DO network in a big part of the country (basically everywhere apart from greater Bkk and the Eastern Seaboard).

Works with a USB dongle, and you can expect speeds of between 0.5 and 1.5 Mbps, so a fair bit faster then AIS will get you.

It might be needed to install an outdoor antenna to get proper reception when signal is on the weak side.

cheers,

Keoki

Try and find the local CAT office (Communications Authority of Thailand).

They operate a CDMA EV-DO network in a big part of the country (basically everywhere apart from greater Bkk and the Eastern Seaboard).

Works with a USB dongle, and you can expect speeds of between 0.5 and 1.5 Mbps, so a fair bit faster then AIS will get you.

It might be needed to install an outdoor antenna to get proper reception when signal is on the weak side.

Thnks for the suggestion Monty.

We called CAT and were told they could not help us. We live 65 K North of Chaiyaphum and 90 K South of Khon Kaen.

Bummer.

k

• 5 months later...

The signal drops from Full to 1 bar and back all the time.

BUT even if its shows Full Signal i don't get MB/s Speed ONLY kb/s speed.

Where the hel_l is the so called high speed????????????????????????????????????????

Why don't you ask Dtac?

"from Full to 1 bar and back all the time" might be a clue here.

I do not know whose Aircard service is the Worst: True, Ais, or Dtac they all tie for the worst possible servcie on the Planet. They absolutely lie...All of them. To be perfectly frank,

you are better off getting off using an internet cafe when you are without your computer..

I wen't down to True and got all my money back...The question is why should you have to go to an internet cafe with or without your computer and pay True, Dtac, or Ais for the same

service you are paying for...Unbelievable...Thailand if you haven't guessed by now is all show and absolutley no substance...especially they internet severices. At least in the Europe,

and the other western countries, you get what your paying for.

To get an aircard thru any carrier here is a complete waste of time and money

I do not know whose Aircard service is the Worst: True, Ais, or Dtac they all tie for the worst possible servcie on the Planet. They absolutely lie...All of them. To be perfectly frank,

you are better off getting off using an internet cafe when you are without your computer..

I wen't down to True and got all my money back...The question is why should you have to go to an internet cafe with or without your computer and pay True, Dtac, or Ais for the same

service you are paying for...Unbelievable...Thailand if you haven't guessed by now is all show and absolutley no substance...especially they internet severices. At least in the Europe,

and the other western countries, you get what your paying for.

To get an aircard thru any carrier here is a complete waste of time and money

If you don't know what you are doing, don't bother. There is 3G available, but you need to be in the right area and to have the correct equipment for the job.

• 1 year later...

Here in Pattaya, about 6 months ago DTAC must have changed something as I was always getting the green light (EDGE) on the Aircard previously which then suddenly changed to the blue indicator (3G). With this, on my B200 for 70 hours package, I understand that the data rate is capped at 500kbps (ie 1/2 Mbps) which was usable, albeit still on the slow side.

However recently the green indicator, ie EDGE is on most of the time now and is almost unusable, taking ages just to view a web page. The so-called 3G very seldom appears so we are back to EDGE again; and Laos are already on 4G?

Here in Pattaya, about 6 months ago DTAC must have changed something as I was always getting the green light (EDGE) on the Aircard previously which then suddenly changed to the blue indicator (3G). With this, on my B200 for 70 hours package, I understand that the data rate is capped at 500kbps (ie 1/2 Mbps) which was usable, albeit still on the slow side.

However recently the green indicator, ie EDGE is on most of the time now and is almost unusable, taking ages just to view a web page. The so-called 3G very seldom appears so we are back to EDGE again; and Laos are already on 4G?

Can you share any details re: your aircard make/model?

I think the DTAC/Happy time-based plans are capped at 384 Kbps, delivered via 3G where available. If you want higher speeds you'll have to go with a volume-based plan. IS there any way for you to determine if your location is served by DTAC's 3G service?

Not sure what Laos/4G has to do with your issue?rolleyes.gif

Try to go into the settings and force the dongle into 3G mode. (usually called "WCDMA only")

I do know Dtac has iffy 3G towers with some of them working perfectly 1 day and the next being utterly useless, only registering as 2G...

Time based packages (i.e. 20 hours/month) are speed limited to 384 kbps (when 3G signal is available).

To get faster speed you need a volume based package, i.e. 1 GB/month... Or go to an unlimited package of for example 3 GB/month, which will see 3GB of data at full speed, and then 384 kbps unlimited till the end of the 30 day period...

The DTAC model is new wave 153 and I know the data cap is supposed to be 384 kbps but this often fluctuates between zero (when on EDGE now) and 1500 kbps, although it hovers around the 380 mark most, but not all of the time.

The comment about Laos being ready for 4G is extremely relevant as it indicates how far behind we are here, as Thailand is supposed to be ahead in this kind of technology.