Battery Run Flat

larsjensen

I just bought a year 2002 Volkswagen Caravelle V6; with full option TV DVD, etc.

Very nice car, use a-lot of gasoline but I consider install LPG, I check the price 38000Baht for injection system sound fair enough to me.

But my problem with this car is battery run flat after not use 4 to 5 days. I did know this car type have problem with the battery so I had the guy I bought it from to install a extra battery before we bought it, so I thought that will a least give me some more days before the battery run flat!! But no is still run flat even with 2 battery. So I call a Volkswagen dealer, they confirm that is a common problem with this car! So I ask the guy I bought from if he could have someone to install a main breaker so I could swift the battery of when I not use the car? He calls me back and say if we install that, all TV, DVD, CD etc, will have to be re program every time!

Hope there is someone out there with a solution to this problem.

Thanks in advance

If your TV dvd etc are running AC220Volt, there must be a 12-220 converter some place. Even when equipment is not on, this may draw loads from your 12 volt system.

I would keep it connected to a CETEC 12 v charger whenever not used for more than a day.

Or pick it all apart to find where the 12 volt "leak" is.

installing one more battery is not as easy as it sounds. If they are in parellel, they must be identical(make, age, AH, cold crank capasity etc) to double the output. If there are switches/diodes between them, how are they set up?

an 110 amp alternator is not much for 2 batteries of lets say 60-110 AH each. Are they being charged at the same time? whats the voltage from alternator when charging? if its below 14 volt, should be 14,45 volt, batteries never get fully charged from alternator

Edited by katabeachbum

Suspect a load is still switched on when the engine is off. It might be a fault in the security system. You could check if this has a separate fuse and remove it for a period.

Agree, looks like a drain somewhere or still not enough charging. Your second battery could be fitted in tandem and be switchable ( a cut out switch on + & - side of second battery ) so one battery is always connected for security etc. I put a V8 Chevy in an old VW camper once, same problem, the two batteries solved the prob for starting, though must admit it didn't have fancy TV's and stuff, but it did have electric toilet :D.

And a great piece of kit is a trickle charger, connected 24/7 when the motor is not used, always a full battery on start up.

Thanks guys, I will print all this out and show to the dealer, hope we will find the solution. I will let you know later on.

Thanks again

Have you thought about fitting an 85Amp leisure battery to the conversion to run your electrical appliances on and then fitting a small solar panel to the exterior roof to supply the leisure battery with a constant trickle charge? Very easy solution, same used in motorhomes, caravans etc.

"He calls me back and say if we install that, all TV, DVD, CD etc, will have to be re"

Usually.. these appliances, if built for automotive use, will be designed to retain their settings and not be a load on the battery when sitting. They should be of the same type you'd find in a travel trailer or 5th wheel..

If these devices need the battery attached.. especially the TV.. it can really eat the battery up. Most televisions have a hard switch in the rear in addition to the remote on..

I'd simply unplug the appliances and see if the problem goes away. If it does you know where the problem is and where to look for solutions. You can save yourself the service fees this way. Not that I have confidence in the average Thai technician to think this far anyway..

If you unplug these appliances and the problem persists.. then you'll need to look for any power cables connected to the battery separate from the car system, and isolate them to see if the problem then goes away. If it does, you know what to look at.

If not, then the problem is a drain on the vehicles electrical system.. and finding this will be difficult. You'll need someone good.

Of course this is assuming you're already had the alternator, regulator, and battery checked to make sure they're working as they should?

I was involved in modifying vehicles for the military. One of the mods was to add batteries to run coms equipment. We installed a switch and regulator system that would only charge the secondary batteries once the main one was fully charged. It would also protect the primary battery from running to low.

They use things like this on boats to.

http://bluesea.com/category/1/productline/overview/329

We have talked about batteries in LOS being useless and perhaps a big reason is temperature. So, why do they put them in the hottest place, next to the engine under the hood. In my Pontiac it was in the front next to the engine so l relocated it to the trunk, a long way away from the starter but never a problem. In Arab incredibly hot countries, do they have a problem ? or is it just down to poor materials and making money from you every two years in LOS. :ermm:

In Arabic incredible hot countries, the most sold battery is Boliden. Available in LOS to:)

According to the OP the dealership has admitted there is a problem with this model of vehicle & this problem. There could be more to this than meets the eye.

I would be discussing this with someone a bit higher than the local dealer to find out what they are going to do about it. Keeping in mind, once you start modifying things, they might pull the old, 'There is no warranty because you modified trick' . ;)

Suspect a load is still switched on when the engine is off. It might be a fault in the security system. You could check if this has a separate fuse and remove it for a period.

Agree, looks like a drain somewhere or still not enough charging. Your second battery could be fitted in tandem and be switchable ( a cut out switch on + & - side of second battery ) so one battery is always connected for security etc. I put a V8 Chevy in an old VW camper once, same problem, the two batteries solved the prob for starting, though must admit it didn't have fancy TV's and stuff, but it did have electric toilet :D.

And a great piece of kit is a trickle charger, connected 24/7 when the motor is not used, always a full battery on start up.

With modern day cars using ECU's do you disconnect your battery before charging, just a thought.

With modern day cars using ECU's do you disconnect your battery before charging, just a thought.

depends on how simple the charger is. no worry if it doesnt supply more than 14,5 volt

depends on how simple the charger is. no worry if it doesnt supply more than 14,5 volt

That's useful to know as the manual advises to disconnect the battery, guess they need to cover them selves.

Me, not really up on modern motor computers but l thought if you disconnected the battery on ' some ' cars, you need to have stuff reset. No problem on the Vigo with disconnecting the battery though. If there are no disconnection probs then l always disconnect for charging.With the trickle charger little gem, no probs, have left it on the hotrod for weeks at a time.

on boats and yachts, ECU diesels where introduced 1998. Unfortunately I bought one of the first ones, but thats another nightmare. B)

anyway, now most marine diesels are ECU controlled, but as we all know boats/yachts are usually being charged most of the time they are docked, with chargers capable of 50-150 Amp at 14,45 volt (if 12 volt system, 28,9 volt in 24 volt system)

If you use a welding transformer set at 15 volt it may damage ECU, but any ordinary charger with max output 14,45 volt and capable of 2-12 Amp does not harm ECU

an electronic trickle charger is worth gold for anyone with some bikes and cars, and CTEC is available here in LOS at less than 3k baht. Connect it overnight on each vehicle once a month, and your batterys lifetime is likely to double