House Prices On Samui

By comparison, There is a new cluster of homes on the market in Chengtalay, Phuket for 1.9M bht. 2 bdrm on 1/4 Rai with security gate, close to shopping, airport, most beautiful beaches in Thailand, roads much better than Samui, and lower shopping prices all around.

Why would anyone want to live on Samui?

1. Phuket is an island Province; Samui is only part of a province next to that both islands can't be compared, Samui, only being (in history) transferred by the inhabitants into a coconut island and not much else. Phuket has long range International flights, arriving, Samui only from local and nearby distances.

2. If you, like myself, would have visited Phuket more than 30 years ago you know what a dream island once looked. Phuket -apart from the interior- is gang-raped by greedy Thai and farang investors who spoiled a once breathtaking beautiful island where almost no part near the coast is unspoiled anymore because everything is either already built with houses, villas, hotels and resorts or going to be.

All this happened without any local control of the environment or strict building laws. This happened in many tourist places but Phuket beats them all.

3. Samui is a lot smaller with lesser possibilities and infrastructure but still has the atmosphere Phuket once had. I know that's not for everyone but there are still places along Samui's coastline where you hardly see a single Thai or tourist and that's amazing for such a small island.

Phuket is not for everyone and Samui is the same. Lucky so.

LaoPo

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got somebody in to give me a quote to replace just under 10 m2 plaster board ceiling. He came had a look then called later to give me the price 3,500 baht. very good says I till he tells me that is per metre <deleted>!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I had my house gyp-rocked a couple of years ago, 900 sq feet needed doing (300 sq metres approx, I think my conversion in correct there) cost me 8000 baht. for the labour, ---Gyp-rock tapping plastering, sanding, etc. & the metal ceiling hangers etc....

They did really good job, with a number of fiddly alcoves... I felt the price was very fair ...

They even used the green backed boarding in the bathroom without me even asking. A local Thai company...

I can try find out their name, from the general contractor if any one PM's me.

I got somebody in to give me a quote to replace just under 10 m2 plaster board ceiling. He came had a look then called later to give me the price 3,500 baht. very good says I till he tells me that is per metre <deleted>!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I had my house gyp-rocked a couple of years ago, 900 sq feet needed doing (300 sq metres approx, I think my conversion in correct there) cost me 8000 baht. for the labour, ---Gyp-rock tapping plastering, sanding, etc. & the metal ceiling hangers etc....

Sorry; it's not.

900 sq ft = 83.6 M2

LaoPo

Don't get my posting wrong. I'm not complaining about the high prices I just find it amusing. Especially the Thai selling to Thai. We are always told they just try to have the Farang over. ;)

Yes, it is the same scam. But who is to blame? The owner might not even know how much he had to pay for the house, they just not calculate this, the land is for free and maybe the neighbor made a good deal with a stupid farang.

Anyway the house is worth 600,000 THB and the land maybe 1-2 millions.

By comparison, There is a new cluster of homes on the market in Chengtalay, Phuket for 1.9M bht. 2 bdrm on 1/4 Rai with security gate, close to shopping, airport, most beautiful beaches in Thailand, roads much better than Samui, and lower shopping prices all around.

The rainy season on Samui is only two months. B)

Wunderbar!! Nail on the head!! Why would anyone want to live in Phuket?

• Like 2

The rainy season on Samui is only two months. B)

Wunderbar!! Nail on the head!! Why would anyone want to live in Phuket?

why do people do what they do? an age old question. as for myself, over the last 10 yrs I have seriously considered relocating to phuket on several occassions and at the end of the day the wife and i always come to the same conclusion; ok to visit but would not want to live there. Samui has a way of making life feel easy.

Sorry; it's not.

900 sq ft = 83.6 M2

LaoPo

Thanks for the correction on the conversion LaoPo!

I guess I need to get my Foots & Meters conversions sorted! Still think "old school! " :D I thought that was wrong when I was posting.... calculator not at hand!

It's odd that the metric world still uses feet (12" tiles) & 4'x8' sheets etc...

It's odd that the metric world still uses feet (12" tiles) & 4'x8' sheets etc...

I don't think most countries do and if they do in some industries like building it's simply converted because the machinery they used had some standard when they converted to the metric system.

It's odd that the majority of the world uses the Metric system and that there are still some (mainly) English speaking countries who still keep on using the Inches and Feet system.

post-13995-012248400 1283593887_thumb.pn

Countries which have officially adopted the metric system (green). Only three nations (out of 203) have refused to or been unable to officially adopt the International System of Units as their primary or sole system of measurement: Burma, Liberia, and the United States.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metric_system

LaoPo

I don't think most countries do and if they do in some industries like building it's simply converted because the machinery they used had some standard when they converted to the metric system.

It's odd that the majority of the world uses the Metric system and that there are still some (mainly) English speaking countries who still keep on using the Inches and Feet system.

Countries which have officially adopted the metric system (green). Only three nations (out of 203) have refused to or been unable to officially adopt the International System of Units as their primary or sole system of measurement: Burma, Liberia, and the United States.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metric_system

LaoPo

Off topic... while the most impressive and useless unit is still "PSI" which means "pounds per square inch", they even use it in Thailand at the gas station to measure the pressure inside the tyre.

Off topic... while the most impressive and useless unit is still "PSI" which means "pounds per square inch", they even use it in Thailand at the gas station to measure the pressure inside the tyre.

Time for TopSpeed's Jeremy Clarkson then :lol:

post-13995-017498100 1283611304_thumb.jp

LaoPo

http://en.wikipedia....i/Metric_system

LaoPo

Another anomaly occurs in Thai boatyards. When measuring timber, feet and inches are used but with piping and plumbing it is metric. Probably a carry over from the trading days when most of the shipping was British or French.

LaoPo

that's a great show. B)

LaoPo

That'll be Top Gear then :whistling: ...and yes...cracking program :D

Can't imagine I wrote that completely wrong but to my excuse I was tired :rolleyes:

Sorry and yes, great show.

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo