Bird-flu Scare: National Ban On Cockfighting

george

National ban on cockfighting??

As Thais are always law-abiding, I'm sure they'll stop cockfighting.  I'm sure they'll put what's best for the country ahead of what's fun/profitable for them...  :o

Yeah; right; this is what we get for having a "cock & bull" government, where all these "suits" are running around like "headless chickens", whilst holding-up the traffic for long periods of time, hence hampering the many of us, who are trying to actually "help" the economy of Thailand . . . . .

Believe you me: the sickest chickens are members of this government and perhaps we should refer to it as the "mad-chicken-desease".

Therefore, if you don't want to get caught with your cock in your hand, vote democrat or communist, but for Heaven's sake, let's get rid of these authors of Chicken-Sh-t ! ! ! :D

post-10410-1121253246.gif

I am confused - Taxin told us some time back that the bird-flu would be "wiped out" within 3 months (along with the sourthern terrorists, drugs, annoying insects, mothers-in-law, criminals, corruption and bad weather).

So - this must be a new type of bird flu, right....? :o

Its surprising how few people realize how you contract Bird Flu.

During the last year's big outbreak in Thailand, my Thai in-laws were horrified that I was taking advantage of all the knocked down price chicken in my local Big C supermarket - this from a rural family who have to knock the chickens and ducks off the dinner table.

You CANNOT catch Bird Flu from eating poultry.

The virus is only caught by coming into contact with the droppings of an infected bird.

I would suggest that you read up on WHO reports before offering such a sweeping statement Slim. H5N1 virus is according to them ,water air and soil born virus and can be spread in uncooked chicken meat of an infected bird. Why would you guess almost every country has banned the export/import of chicken meat.

During the last year's big outbreak in Thailand, my Thai in-laws were horrified that I was taking advantage of all the knocked down price chicken in my local Big C supermarket - this from a rural family who have to knock the chickens and ducks off the dinner table.

The virus is only caught by coming into contact with the droppings of an infected bird.

I would suggest that you read up on WHO reports before offering such a sweeping statement Slim. H5N1 virus is according to them ,water air and soil born virus and can be spread in uncooked chicken meat of an infected bird. Why would you guess almost every country has banned the export/import of chicken meat.

Well said Ozzy,

Although isn't it supposed to be safe if cooked for a certain amount of time and also at a certain temperature? Although at the end of the day do you really want to die just because you "thought" it was safe to eat cheap chicken pieces? and it will probably end up like so many other things that the "experts" tell us cannot happen but then suddenly discover further down the road that they can due to mutation etc so I for one will certainly be playing it on the safe side and staying away from chicken, duck etc although I'm going to risk it and stick with the p##sie :o

Edited by Jimmy in Bangkok

Update:

Ministry cuts deal on fighting cock zoning

Compromise may help stop spread of bird flu

BANGKOK: -- The Agriculture and Cooperatives Ministry and fighting cock raisers have reached a compromise on measures to prevent the spread of avian flu by the birds, ending their long stand-off.

Deputy Agriculture and Cooperatives Minister Newin Chidchob said after meeting fighting cock raisers yesterday that the two sides had agreed to create management zones based on provincial boundaries.

In each of the 76 zones, the cock raisers and agricultural and interior officials would form a joint committee and develop plans to control cock fighting.

Mr Newin said the plans should include identification and registration of the fighting cocks and stadiums, plus measures to control their movements.

Mr Newin acknowledged that officials could not stop cock fighting until cooperative management was in place. ``No one can control fighting cock raisers better than fighting cock raisers.''

The ministry this week called on poultry raisers to discuss measures to curb bird flu after the virus re-emerged in Suphan Buri and possibly some other provinces last week.

Fighting cocks are among livestock officials' top concerns due to their high mobility, plus the lack of cooperation from their owners.

So far, the ministry has registered about 400,000 birds and issued about 8,000 ``passports'' to control their movement. The total number of fighting cocks is believed to be much higher.

Chai Wacharonke, vice-president of the Association of Thai Fighting Cocks Career Promotion, said the new round of talks reflected more understanding about cock fighting among officials.

He said cock fighting was part of Thai people's entertainment, and it was almost impossible to apply stringent measures such as forcing people to halt their activity.

An official ban would force them to fight in less hygienic places, he said.

``The officials wrote the rules without knowing how the games are played. That's why the raisers have chosen to ignore them,'' said Mr Chai. ``There are ways to control fighting cocks without closing down their stadiums. The plan is a compromise in terms of what has to be done and what is practical.''

Mr Chai said the association would issue guidelines to form the basis for developing the plans.

Nirundorn Aungtragoolsuk, director of Bureau of Disease Control and Veterinary Services, admitted that officials had a hard time controlling bird flu among fighting cocks with the lack of cooperation.

With the new measures, he said, officials would get more cooperation and be able to control the virus spread better.

Suphan Buri governor Songpon Timasat said interior officials would have no problem working with others in controlling fighting cocks, helping improve control measures to contain the virus.

The Agriculture and Cooperatives Ministry will ask the Interior Ministry to continue closing fighting cock stadiums until the new committees submit their plans for consideration, Mr Newin said.

Meanwhile, officials are awaiting final test results to confirm whether there have been infections in Phitsanulok, Loei, Chiang Mai, Prachin Buri, Lamphun, Udon Thani and Nong Khai.

--Bangkok Post 2005-07-15

With a few exceptions, there's not much you can get from well cooked meat or chicken. Yes, the virus can be contained in the meat, but once cooked it's destroyed. One of the things to protect yourself (with all types of meat), is to try and not handle raw meat with bare hands, if you do wash your hands thoroughly. Also, do let raw meat touch anything, such as counter tops etc--or anything that has touched the meat then touch the counter etc.

Dish rags and towels are easily contaminated and so care needs to be taken.

Unfortunately, in Thailand you do run into places that don't hygiene seriously in handling meat and this can cause contamination.

I agree with a few others that KFC is not very good, but I will continue to eat chicken there as they do seem to be hygenic and the chicken is well cooked, albeit not the best.

As for the neighborhood lady who handles raw meat with bare hands and then touches the cooked pieces--I long ago gave her a pass. Too bad, the chicken was quite tasty.

Banning Chicken fights?^%&%$ Yeah that will work. While at it why do not not also ban corruption, drunk driving and murder. Surely it will help the police to enforce the laws that are alredy in the books under the same headings.

What a waste of energy! It irks me cause many times I see the very ones that are entrusted to enforce the laws and rules partking in the "banned" behavior.

Therefore, if you don't want to get caught with your cock in your hand, vote democrat or communist, but for Heaven's sake, let's get rid of these authors of Chicken-Sh-t ! ! !  :o

There is no Communist Party in Thailand...no legal one anyway.

Cheers,

Jem

:D Gee; really Mr. JemJem, well thanks for pointing-out the obvious; don't take things so litterally - "smell the roses, while you have a change" (please don't take this seriously either !) :D

Well said Ozzy,

Although isn't it supposed to be safe if cooked for a certain amount of time and also at a certain temperature? Although at the end of the day do you really want to die just because you "thought" it was safe to eat cheap chicken pieces? and it will probably end up like so many other things that the "experts" tell us cannot happen but then suddenly discover further down the road that they can due to mutation etc so I for one will certainly be playing it on the safe side and staying away from chicken, duck etc although I'm going to risk it and stick with the p##sie :D

Yep jimmy, I like my bit of chicken but now only buy whole ckicks from Lotus and cook myself (over-done) Am getting to quite like boiled chook and white sauce plus the wife gets the chicken stock for her particular recipes.

Chook-flu is of particular concern to me ,after 50 yrs smoking I would be an early casualty if the sh*t hits the fan, also took WHO advise and have my own stock of Tamaflu in the medicine cupboard. Big Roger to the last bit,gotta go find a toothpick ,think theres a hair stuck :o