Thai Legal System

Hi ,, l hope someone might have clue as to what might happen ,,

l have a mate (farang),,, he loaned a guy(Thai) a few hundred thousand baht to buy a new tractor, my mate has a bit of paper signed by all that needed to sign and witness plus more saying that if the guy defaulted on the repayments my friend could reposess the tractor,,,,,,,,,,,my mate goes to court early next month with a solicitor who says he has no problems(that worries me),,,, but my friend is having trouble finding out what exactly the result could be,,,,, will the court just give him the tractor? or order the other guy to sell and repay the loan? and possibly give him 12 months to do that ?? ,,, or ?? or ?? ,,,,,

has anyone any ideas what could the outcome be ???

sorry l have not gone into much detail ,, thats just a condensed version ,,,, and l am working on the fact that my friend will win in court , open and shut (as they say),,,, so please dont go veering to much off the track ,,

thanks for any thoughts

cheers egg

The Thai legal system will always try to make both parties negotiate and come to an agreement, i.e. reduced payments/longer terms etc...

They really try to keep things like that out of the formal system!

When it actually comes to a court case, it'll be pretty much up to the judge to decide what will exactly happen, the principle being that your mate will have to eventually be refunded, but the terms will depend on the capability of the defaulter to do so, i.e. the judge might indeed give him a reasonable time frame to dispose of the tractor etc...