Expensive Bread

Wellington

Well we thought Josie was expensive ,wholemeal loaf @ 140 (I think); now no different under the new management, although the bread is very good.

but today in Central we were stopped in our tracks , gob smacked, when we were asked 225bht for a large loaf at the new (revamped food store) .

What the H*ll is Central playing at?

Will anyone pay 225 bht (4.5 pounds sterling) for a loaf? : :annoyed:

I love good bread, but I just won't pay the prices here.

Just saw a report on the CH3 news about 1/2 hour ago, where the reporters were going around a Tesco, and then there was an interview with who looked like a Tesco manager of some sort. Asked my wife what it was all about, and she says it was about the government removing price subsidies on certain items, and some foodstuffs were expected to go up between 10% and 30%.

Why is there no real hard-edged investigative journalism here? Well, we know why, don't we. It should be investigated why a litre of orange juice costs (in UK money) about £1.20 here, when back in England, it can be bought for45p.

Had a laugh with my wife a few months ago, about a faux pas she made about apple pricing, again comparing prices here with England. When I pointed out the outrageous prices of Fuji Apples here, she replied that, after all, it was imported from China. I had to ask her where she thought the Fuji Apples she'd only bought in England a couple of weeks previous had come from.

225 baht is taking the p*ss. Makes Villa look cheap.

You can get a good white loaf at a decent price just before Tesco Lotus if you are heading to Rawai from Chalong Circle.

If you don't mind sliced bread, Makro's wholemeal is good valus at around 35 baht or so.

Any more good bread suggestions or have we had this thread before?

225 baht is taking the p*ss. Makes Villa look cheap.

You can get a good white loaf at a decent price just before Tesco Lotus if you are heading to Rawai from Chalong Circle.

If you don't mind sliced bread, Makro's wholemeal is good valus at around 35 baht or so.

Any more good bread suggestions or have we had this thread before?

I know this is an issue that's been aired many times

BUT

225 bht for a loaf is the point

who's taking the piss but Central.

and will anyone buy at that price

'tis time they were made aware we are not all fools!

Go to Flintstones..chalong and rawai,,,..big swiss loaf=25 bht and good taste...why pay more..Flinstones have been baking fresh bread for years in Phuket...... OR SHOULD I SAY ......FLINTS ONE

I like their bread, but they seem to run out early in the morning. I have found I need to order bread for the next day usually. One would think if you sell out in the first few hours, you would bake more... Hum, logic, what's that.

i enjoy the bread at flints one, too, but i don't appreciate the unpleasant girls that work at both locations. carrefour has decent bread---depending on what exactly you are looking for---that isn't so pricey. it does get moldy quite quickly, though.

Hi

Yes the girls at flints could be better, use to come there 1 or 2 times a week but a lot of times they get it wrong when your order also the one on Rawai beach it was so hot inside, maybe the aircon is fixed now??

but if you want some good bread use imported flour, for sure it taste better, at 25 baht for a bread and they also make money out of it,,,, whats in that bread???

HDRIDER, i haven't been into flints at either location for at least four months. the last two times i went in--once in rawai, once in chalong--i was completely ignored and my take away order for sandwiches was wrong. mind you, i was the only customer in the place! also, the last time i stopped in the rawai location, while i was waiting, i noticed that almost all of the items in the freezer case were expired, too. their bread is good--a bit expensive with whatever "special ingredient" they use--but the service/attitude of the girls working there just plain sucks...will let you all know if i find good, inexpensive bread!