Tired In Bangkok

desi

Background: Western women in 40's living in Tropical Asia for the past ten years. Moved to Bangkok late January and I've been tired ever since and can't seem to shake it.

I walk for an hour plus several times a week but end up doubly tired the following day, sometimes for two days. If I need to go into Bangkok for a half day of shopping I also get extremely tired which is extended to the following day.

I do not smoke. Do not eat loads of sugar. I take a multi vitamin (just added the b's and StressTabs). I drink as much water as I can as I notice it makes a difference. I do not drink coffee anymore, I've switched to green teas for the most part. I do not drink sugared sodas. I've cut back on alcohol but may need to cut it out totally (what a pain). As I do not have the energy, I am not a night person (do not go clubbing, etc). Not sure how much more I can lay low with without disappearing all together.

One thing I've read this morning googling is Mangosteen juice is supposed to help, but then again that could be a load of crock. Thai-Go, MangoXan, MangoZan ...

Does anyone else have this problem? If so, what do you do?

desi

Background: Western women in 40's living in Tropical Asia for the past ten years. Moved to Bangkok late January and I've been tired ever since and can't seem to shake it.

I walk for an hour plus several times a week but end up doubly tired the following day, sometimes for two days. If I need to go into Bangkok for a half day of shopping I also get extremely tired which is extended to the following day.

I do not smoke. Do not eat loads of sugar. I take a multi vitamin (just added the b's and StressTabs). I drink as much water as I can as I notice it makes a difference. I do not drink coffee anymore, I've switched to green teas for the most part. I do not drink sugared sodas. I've cut back on alcohol but may need to cut it out totally (what a pain). As I do not have the energy, I am not a night person (do not go clubbing, etc). Not sure how much more I can lay low with without disappearing all together.

One thing I've read this morning googling is Mangosteen juice is supposed to help, but then again that could be a load of crock. Thai-Go, MangoXan, MangoZan ...

desi

Change from walking to swimming , the cool of water against Bangkok's heat would make you feel much better. Avoid overwork , if Mangosteen juice is good, why not giving a try ?. Tubtim juice is also good I have heard. Or are you on menopause period ? Or having problem with Thyroid ? One coffee or one beer would not make you unhealthy.  Lack of exercises can make you tired easily too. Or depressed ?  :o

I have exactly the same! If I stay in my weekend house in Pattaya everything is fine. I am back in BKK and tired, all the time...

desi

<< Depressed...?
Nothing abnormal for moving into a different country. A bit of culture shock is all, missing what is familiar perhaps.
Change from walking to swimming , the cool of water against Bangkok's heat would make you feel much better. Avoid overwork , if Mangosteen juice is good, why not giving a try ?. Tubtim juice is also good I have heard. Or are you on menopause period ? Or having problem with Thyroid ? One coffee or one beer would not make you unhealthy.  Lack of exercises can make you tired easily too. Or depressed ?

I work constantly so there is really no time for swimming (not even sure where there is a pool up here), but I’ll certainly jump in the shower more often just to cool off. As far as menopause, I was one of the lucky ones to have finished before I was 30. Seemed pretty crazy at the time, but I’m glad I do not have to deal with it now. Thyroid was checked several years back and it’s fine.

I’ve never heard of Tubtim, what does it look like? Maybe a week of nothing but Tubtim and Mangosteen juice would be a good idea. Throw in a couple of green things and call it medicinal.

I have exactly the same! If I stay in my weekend house in Pattaya everything is fine. I am back in BKK and tired, all the time...

Have you talked to a doctor about this? I have other female friends in Bangkok who are also tired, and frankly I'm fed up with being tired. I'm used to being able to work decent hours but now I'm one day off and one day on.

....If I need to go into Bangkok for a half day of shopping I also get extremely tired which is extended to the following day....

Normally active young woman who gets tired shopping? Definately something wrong here. :o

Seriously, you should consult a medical professional and insist they do a complete blood workup.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

cheers :D

I'd see a good doctor, if I were you. It could be something simple, like anaemia, or something exotic like toxaplasmosis. A friend of mine became fatigued after moving to Bangkok and found he had toxaplasmosis. It's normally transmitted by contact with cat feces, but he had no idea how he got it. There are a lot of possibilities with fatigue.

If you haven't had one in a while, get a full physical, blood work, etc,

Not that expensive at Bumrungrad, at the very least, you'll have some peace of mind ruling out the biggies, (cancer, cardio, ...), Good Luck,

<< Depressed...?

Nothing abnormal for moving into a different country. A bit of culture shock is all, missing what is familiar perhaps.

Change from walking to swimming , the cool of water against Bangkok's heat would make you feel much better. Avoid overwork , if Mangosteen juice is good, why not giving a try ?. Tubtim juice is also good I have heard. Or are you on menopause period ? Or having problem with Thyroid ? One coffee or one beer would not make you unhealthy.  Lack of exercises can make you tired easily too. Or depressed ?
I work constantly so there is really no time for swimming (not even sure where there is a pool up here), but I’ll certainly jump in the shower more often just to cool off. As far as menopause, I was one of the lucky ones to have finished before I was 30. Seemed pretty crazy at the time, but I’m glad I do not have to deal with it now. Thyroid was checked several years back and it’s fine.

I’ve never heard of Tubtim, what does it look like? Maybe a week of nothing but Tubtim and Mangosteen juice would be a good idea. Throw in a couple of green things and call it medicinal.

Tubtim is pomegranate fruit.

Thank-you everyone for your suggestions. I'll make an appointment for a range of blood tests next week. (Now I just have to find a good doctor.)

desi

I am always tired in Bangkok as well. When I get home every night I am exhausted. When I go on vacation I feel like a totally different person. I exercise daily, eat healthy, sleep well, etc so it is nothing wrong with me physically.

Bangkok is hot.

Bangkok is polluted.

The combination of a lack of oxygen and increased temperature can make anyone tired. Try going on vacation. If the fatigue disappears, then you don't need the blood workup because it is your work environment.

A full check up won't do any harm. I have suffered with this tiredness for a long time. Things that I found help me are a series of Vitimin B injections about 5 over two weeks. Another one is "BEROCCA" it has high doses of Vitamin B,C. The other thing I do is take a nap in the afternoon this recharges my batteries. BEROCCA can be bought at Watson's and some of the other Drug Stores, cost about 120B for ten tablets you disolve in a glass of water. Hope your feeling better soon.

Thank-you everyone for your suggestions. I'll make an appointment for a range of blood tests next week. (Now I just have to find a good doctor.)

Get a copy of the Bangkok Guide, which is published by the Australian-New Zealand Women's Group and contains only recommendations from its own members.

Get a copy of the Bangkok Guide, which is published by the Australian-New Zealand Women's Group and contains only recommendations from its own members.

I do have that but I forgot all about it (a major problem with being so tired), so thank-you for reminding me. I won't be able to go in until next week so I've just come back from the store with an old fashioned remedy - a whole chicken to cook up home made chicken soup with fresh veges. I also purchased Mangosteen (couldn't find the other), as well as all sorts of raw veg and other fruit. Hopefully this will do something to help until I can get downtown where all the doctors are.

Again, thank-you for the suggestions.

DRAT! it's taken me forever to get connected again ...

Bangkok is hot.

Bangkok is polluted.

That it is. I was here way back during the haze and while walking around JJ’s thought I’d caught the flu. Pounding head, short of breath, tight chest.
Try going on vacation. If the fatigue disappears, then you don't need the blood workup because it is your work environment.

Good idea. Hopefully I’ll be looking at property in Phuket within the next few weeks to I’ll have a chance to get out of this city. I’m SO not used to this type of heat and pollution, and I'm used to being able to jump in a car and go everywhere, not walk to a train or taxi. Also, I have asthma so my not being able to get enough quality air could be a factor. When I arrived I noticed my chest has not been hurting (unlike in London) so I didn't figure in that possibility.

A series of Vitimin B injections about 5 over two weeks. Another one is "BEROCCA" it has high doses of Vitamin B,C. The other thing I do is take a nap in the afternoon this recharges my batteries. BEROCCA can be bought at Watson's and some of the other Drug Stores, cost about 120B for ten tablets you disolve in a glass of water. Hope your feeling better soon.
I’ll talk to the doctor when I get into contact with him, or do they give it at the pharmacies here? BERCOCCA is now on my list, thank-you for that one as well as the well wishes.
There used to be a few oxygen bars around BKK, give one of them a try and see if it helps. If nothing else the reaction will give your doctor some additional clues to work with.

So logical! The more I go over the suggestions, the more I’m thinking it could be my lacking clean air. I was in SE Asia when the haze hit and had a hard time walking across the room (couldn't catch my breath) for several months at a time. Since the air in Bangkok hasn’t seemed to hurt my chest this time, I didn’t even think my lack of energy could be linked to it.

Again, thank-you everyone.

An underactive thyroid is a possible cause. It does cause drowseyness as well as weight gain and increases them mood swings people get from time to time.

Also, get your blood checked. Sometimes when people age things stop working. My intestine stopped absorbing b-12 and I became anemic. You can't really fix problems like that you can only treat them.

Best to go see a doctor and let him know whats going on with you. Untreated, things could get worse.

Another problem may be a lack of negative ions. In cities and especially when the air is polluted there is a very low concentration of these ions.

The highest concentration of negative ions can be found near water falls and near breaking waves. The high concentration of these ions on the beach is the main reason why a few days on the beach is so invigorating.

There is a lot of info on this on the web, search for “negative ions”

To remedy this you can get a negative ion generator. Keep it in your bedroom for good relaxing sleep and wake up completely recharged. One of the best ion generators is supposed to be one from Elanra. This can be bought online and they will ship to Thailand.

From the American Lung Association:

Some air cleaners (called ozone generators) use an electrical charge to generate ozone.

Although ozone (also referred to as trivalent oxygen or saturated oxygen) is a necessary part of the upper atmosphere (10-30 miles above us), in the part of the atmosphere we breathe, ozone is a potent lung irritant. It can have damaging health effects, especially for persons with asthma and other lung diseases, children and the elderly.

It is produced directly by ozone generators and indirectly by ion generators and some other electronic air cleaners. The FDA has set a limit of 0.05 parts per million of ozone in indoor air. Ask whether any electronic air cleaner you are considering buying has been tested for ozone production.

The American Lung Association suggests that ozone generators not be used.

More info here and here

Good point WW. Many of the cheaper brands of aircleaners produce a lot of harmful ozone.

The Elanra negative ion generator I mentioned produces 0.01ppm ozone which is well below the recomended maximum of 0.05ppm.

If it is the air that is the problem I would go for Sharp's Plasmacluster air cleaner. This thing will remove most bacteria, virus, allergens and odours as well as produce a healthy ionised athmosphere. The ozone production is less than 0.01ppm. I have seen it in some department stores in BKK.

I am sure it has to do with the pollution here. There is another thread on skin problems that occur in Bangkok and disappear when you leave. I even read on the internet that In Manila Phillippines mosquitos that have malaria won’t go into the city because of the pollution. More than likely it is oxygen depravation you are experiencing in Bangkok. You should take note of the weather the next time to see if pockets of stagnant are concentrating the pollution where you walk. On days that there is a breeze it may be better.

I would recommend if its possible with your daily schedule to get up earlier in the day when its cooler and get any chores done and then take a nap in the afternoon, anything from 20 minutes to 2 hours. Many thais beat the days heat and the exhaustion it brings by doing just that.

In my case it has improved my ability to cope with the daily stresses and given me much more vitality and energy.

If I understand this right the problem started when you moved to Bangkok. I would just take two or three days away from town to see if the problem is location before you start poking yourself looking for lab samples. A long weekend at the beach sounds like a good way to take some R&R and at the same time see if your symptoms change. The beach is a whole lot more pleasant than a blood drawing syringe. Just a suggestion.

If I understand this right the problem started when you moved to Bangkok. I would just take two or three days away from town to see if the problem is location before you start poking yourself looking for lab samples. A long weekend at the beach sounds like a good way to take some R&R and at the same time see if your symptoms change. The beach is a whole lot more pleasant than a blood drawing syringe.  Just a suggestion.

Well, I'm just back from a weekend Phuket and it's not done a whole lot of good. Perhaps it's because it was my first time on the island and I over did it. Phuket is NOT Bangkok, so I can see the benefits but I had a hard time sitting still.

Guess I'll need to go back :-D

Again, thanks for the suggestions. In addition to doctors, vitamins and looking into a second residence in Phuket, I'm going to buy the suggested air cleaners. I have six here i bought during the haze but they are most likely not industrial enough (and besides, as we all know, once you buy a product in asia there is a good chance you may not be able to buy any additional pieces like filters once they've run out)

desi

If it is the air that is the problem I would go for Sharp's Plasmacluster air cleaner. This thing will remove most bacteria, virus, allergens and odours as well as produce a healthy ionised athmosphere. The ozone production is less than 0.01ppm. I have seen it in some department stores in BKK.

Noted.

Bangkok is a big place. Do you remember which department stores? Seems like when I take off to search something out a half day is gone and I'm rushing to play catch up with work.

desi

If I understand this right the problem started when you moved to Bangkok. I would just take two or three days away from town to see if the problem is location before you start poking yourself looking for lab samples. A long weekend at the beach sounds like a good way to take some R&R and at the same time see if your symptoms change. The beach is a whole lot more pleasant than a blood drawing syringe.  Just a suggestion.

Well, I'm just back from a weekend Phuket and it's not done a whole lot of good. Perhaps it's because it was my first time on the island and I over did it. Phuket is NOT Bangkok, so I can see the benefits but I had a hard time sitting still.

Guess I'll need to go back :-D

Again, thanks for the suggestions. In addition to doctors, vitamins and looking into a second residence in Phuket, I'm going to buy the suggested air cleaners. I have six here i bought during the haze but they are most likely not industrial enough (and besides, as we all know, once you buy a product in asia there is a good chance you may not be able to buy any additional pieces like filters once they've run out)

desi

If your set on getting a air cleaner there is only one I would recommend, and that is the Quattra Ionic breeze from Sharper image. I had 2 back in the states. It by far was the best money I spent ever for anything. They are a little pricy but you get that all back in short order. They cost about $3.00 a month to run 24-7. There are no filters you just open them up and wipe them with a damp rag once a week. And I think you can get them for the local voltage now too. I think their web is sharperimage.com . There are no fans or moving parts it uses technology by charging the air and pulling it to the collection plate. It takes about 5 to 10 minutes to do a 20M room. Well worth it.