New Insight Into Thai Immigration

Here's the link to an artcle in The Nation:

Thailand Fingers "Terror-Tourists"

It appears that Thai Immigration has been quite hard at work over the past few months, carefully screening lists of all border-crossers since 2001, and cross-referencing againat databases of terorrists. 'Small wonder that dodgy ex-pats have been feeling some of the collateral heat.

So - where to from here? I would guess that - assuming that Thailand now believes most terrorists will be forced to use false documents - it will remain very risky to use any sort of phony passport entries. Similarly, my guess is that Thailand will exert increasing scrutiny on overland border crossing points - particularly the small, out-of-the-way ones, anticipating that bad guys will try to enter at such locations.

This situation will continue to put pressure on dodgy farangs, and probably end up pushing many on to new pastures - despite their claims that their departure will cause mass unemployment, famine, and broken hearts among the Thai population.

Cheers!

Indo-Siam

Guest IT Manager

What I don't understand, after all the schemozzle about visas, overstay and drug running, that people still don't understand the Thai Immigration as an organisation, is one of the most advanced systems, from an IT perspective in Asia.

Lessons are hard to learn for some I understand, but how many times does one need to read the news about these issues, to understand that Thailand does not want people to see it as an easy entry to the rest of the world, for whatever purpose.

Ah well. Guess it will change the attitude of the few who feel that "it can't happen to me", to be "it sure can".

IT :o

Predictably, the Immigration heavies got pissed. The walkers made it hard, even for the conformists. 10 years on holidays jeez...piss them off.

Doc

I see not much has changed. I want to live cheap in a foreign country and because I am a round eye you should not question my morals let alone I am

a loser back home and could in no way make it on what I have there, but since I chose Thailand it is my decision and right to be and do so and regardless of what your rules state it is my right to flaunt them. Rules and laws are for everyones

protection and foremost those that have birth rites. Otherwise why have boarders.

but since I chose Thailand it is my decision and right to be and do so and regardless of what your rules state it is my right to flaunt them.

You are gonna be kinda sad when they refuse you entry to your chosen land. If I were you, I wouldn't mention your right to flaunt rules to Thai authorities. That could irk them.

Predictably, the Immigration heavies got pissed. The walkers made it hard, even for the conformists. 10 years on holidays jeez...piss  them off.

Doc

I see not much has changed. I want to live cheap in a foreign country and because I am a round eye you should not question my morals let alone I am

a loser back home and could in no way make it on what I have there, but since I chose Thailand it is my decision and right to be and do so and regardless of what your rules state it is my right to flaunt them. Rules and laws are for everyones

protection and foremost those that have birth rites. Otherwise why have boarders.

And wouldn't you be horribly pissed off if they were doing the same in your country...paying no taxes, not speaking the language etc.

I am a loser back home and could in no way make it on what I have there

Out of the mouths of babes.

With not a satang to fall back on in tough times, you remain a loser here too. :o A classic example of those foreigners that the Thai Government don't want in the LOS, and very soon, won't tolerate.

Where is CHIANG MAI THAI when we really need him?

Guess on the run, should be back shortly?

Do not fear! ChiangMaiThai is here! Yes, after many weeks on the run, hiding in back alleys and safe houses, I have managed to bargain for a few minutes of time from a sympathetic owner of a small internet cafe. The Thai authorities are close on my trail. I remain in the country without a real visa and many consecutive 30 day stamps. I have eluded them so far, but at what cost I ask you? ...At what cost? How long can I maintain this? Emerging only under the safety of the darkness of night and the hazy neon lights. Wondering where the next meal will come from. Wondering where I will rest my tired head. Oh Doctor, what oh what have I done?

What's that you say? Thousands of foreigners with consecutive 30 day stamps continue to exit and re-enter Thailand's borders without event each and every day? And at checkpoints such as Mae Sai, the majority of people are no longer even requested to make copies of their passports? And of the dozens of people you personally know who have lived in Thailand for many months if not years on 30 day stamps, not one has encountered ANY DIFFICULTY WHATSOEVER while re-entering Thailand?

Doctor, my position remains the same. Should the 'walkers' encounter any problems, I will thank you for your inside information. If the current circumstances continue, you must apologize to the entire board for your mis-information and scaremongering. As more and more time passes, the latter looks increasingly likely. Let's give it a few more months.

Do not fear! ChiangMaiThai is here! ...

CMT, I appreciate your humour in this posting :D

Otherwise, you know my position on the 30-days-back to back. No need to repeat, although I was speaking from own experience, another time in another country.

After 10 years in and out, I was told "In future no visa for you, No, you are not against the law, we just don't like it..." As said, my own experience. :o

Anyway, I hope the Thai government will keep the 30 days visa-free entry. Many of my friends and cusotmers use it 4-5 times a year and need it.

Sorry about the fecious comment. Knowing I have enough saved and invested

to last 50 years in thailand at present exchange rates and well above a thai style living, I continue the dredge through each day to insure I have enough money to last me till I am 75 years old ( bar a disaster) at a decent life in my own country.

What is a person going to do that retires at 50 with $800 a month when the Baht is

30 to $1. It is kind of late to go back to work for most and health issues are sure to arise and the locals will not be so acceptable to these people with only a 24,000 baht income. The 30 day visa is no way to go. It is better to spend a few years extra saving at work than stepping on the locals hospitality which we see wearing very thin now. Proper planning prevents piss poor performance (the 5 P's).

with a little positive thinking saying that you do not expect to be one of the few thousand foreigners, if that high, that expire in Thailand each year you can live where and how you chose baring any disaster. This seems a little parental but in saying so it seems there is several child like minds living or trying to live a grown up's life in Thailand ( which they are not). Running the con games, scheming and scamming others is no respectable way to be in a foreign country. Living and enjoying a foreign country

such as Thailand still requires a little bit of class for most of us. The 30 dayers and those that flaunt the rules make it a bit harder for us that do extend ourselves the extra mile to do it right. ( just my own opinion) For each their own. Good Luck

Doctor, my position remains the same. Should the 'walkers' encounter any problems, I will thank you for your inside information. If the current circumstances continue, you must apologize to the entire board for your mis-information and scaremongering. As more and more time passes, the latter looks increasingly likely. Let's give it a few more months.

Of course your selfish position remains the same. You lot are gonna mess it up for the compliers. Get going ...time for your next aimless wander across the border.

Khun?, Great post 100% with you on this one. If only some people got of their arse to ensure the later years are covered.

My doctor told me to take each day of the week as a decade in my life.

Many men die on Thurs evening, Friday is stressful, and The Week End is only good if we have quality of life, and that includes financial security.

Well for me I'm now at the early Thursday status, but my finances are still in Wednesday, so a few more hours work will sort this out (I hope) and let me enjoy the week-end that we all aim for.

My selfish position? Hmm... Maybe I need to clarify. Of course I am of the opinion that by far the best route to go if you will be here long term is a non-immigrant visa. However, I am also completley aware of the fact that to date, of those doing the monthly border runs, next to none have run into any problems.

Now, if things should change, I will personally apologize to you and to anyone I may have offended with my probing for truth and admitted sarcasm. For you will have been giving us good solid information all along and I will have been refusing to listen.

However, if the current circumstances persist. That is, if the 'walkers' do not run into any real problems, then if you wish to speak with any credibility on this forum, an apology and explanation is due. How you could see otherwise is beyond me.

Of course I am of the opinion that by far the best route to go if you will be here long term is a non-immigrant visa

LONG TERM one can but wonder what defines long term in your mind CMT. You support and call long term walkers tourists, even the one's who stay for years Preposterous ! A dictionary definition of tourist will be along the lines of ' one who tours for pleasure ' We'll see the outcomes soon. Back to backers are finding troubles at some border points now. The prime intent of your ilk is to avoid compliance with Government prescribed funding and banking requirements of the genuine retirees. One wonders whether this trickery is in any way related to the funds available to them. Scroll back...one of your ' brothers ' described himself as a loser who couldn't survive at home. As the Thai's might put it, mai mee satang laaw or Khon Chon. I'm betting a lot of 'em have no other choices than walking.

Enough anyway...wait on outcomes.

Not to be to long winded but in the last 10 years I have seen a drastic change in

the western foreigners residing in Thailand. This directly reflects on all of us that

are making plans on living at least part of our retirement time in Thailand.

Thailand has become well known and a very desired place to reside and not

only to westerners. Why else would you have well educated people working for

50% of what they would at home. It use to be easy to know those on the take because they never had money and were for the most talk of the expat residents.

Now it is a much higher % of the ordinary person you run into in Thailand. You cannot trust many or you get some sales pitch from many westerners. For many western workers the market has went to nothing and many have taken up what

most would consider nusiance work trying to prey on the uninformed fellow countryman or anyone else they perceive to be vulnerable to a useless sales

pitch, scam or wears. It was at a few years back most were hard working people

that discovered a wonderful place like Thailand that you could enjoy common interest and enjoy being around. It is now you do not talk much to those westerners you do not know because many are on the take just looking for a way to relieve you of some of your hard earned cash. Maybe travel has become to cheap and easy. There is far to many that have fallen through the cracks back home that now are doing the same as they did back home in Thailand. Cleaning up these people will be one of the best things Thailand can do while exercising the new visa crack down. They will definetly get much better people and return on the resouces it takes to be a desireable holiday and retiree destination. I know the way it is has changed me from considering full time retirement in Thailand to part time.

Until Thailand enforces their own rules things will not get better and they will lose

not only money but useful resources to seedy useless losers. The same ones we work our butts off for years to get away from. Thailand has become

not so exotic to a more of the suburbs of home. Sorry for the Doom and Gloom but it is depressing to think some of us try to do things the right way and taking years to finance an honest hard working retirement plan, just to have it taken away by unscrouplous sleaze. I truly hope the new visa crack down brings back some of the old time feeling it use to have, where we can enjoy our nights out and drinks with honest good willed people. All the Best to most of you and lets hope they run these undesireables back to where they come from so us that earned it can enjoy it. Thank Thailand and Bhuda

I have to disagree with that last one. I know that I'm a newbie with only 15 years in Thailand, but the quality of everything has drastically improved since I've been here, especially the type of expat residing in the Land of Smiles.

When I first arrived, I had difficulty finding someone half-normal to hang out with. Most of the expats that I met were rapists (yeah you Dirty Dick), people on the run from the law, and mostly absolute weirdoes (i.e. Crazy Tony).

Well most of those trash moved to Cambodia when it opened up, leaving us with mostly a bunch of decent, middle-class Farangs running good restaurants, Pubs, English book stores, etc., and really adding something to the Kingdom.

I say that NOW is the good old days :o

Most of the types you mention from the past were harmless to us and were well known along with being alienated and also did not last long before the other resident farangs helped him meet his days of deprtation and a bit of time in the monkey house (there was not quite as many farangs back then to hide amoungst).

Then if you are talking the short term tourist not much you can do about them.

A 1000% more farangs without the proper means to do so presently stay in Thailand and many of them would not think twice to screw another farang over. I am mainly talking farang to farang relationship.

I am not a full timer but when I do visit farang and thai friends alike it seems to be

one of the biggest issues is the warning of dishonest farang so and so. You can expect to be taking advantage of by a local or bar girl but fellow country men.

It use to be if a farang was on the take it was not long before the posse was set

unto them to insure it halted immediately. It use to be a community policing of itself instead of the now days tough luck you got screwed your on your own.

I have lived in Chiang Mai all of this time. All I can say is that in about the last 8 years I have seen little of the kind of person that you are talking about here. On the other hand, maybe I have lived in Northern Thailand long enough and know enough decent people that it is easy to meet more, so I am spared associating with the kind of Farangs that one meets when one first arrives (or when one continually comes and goes?) :o

Should we greatfull>? Ok we have lots of people comming from diffrent countries in my country BUT they mostley come as ECONOMIC refugee they trough away there passport so we have to give them 3 years of nice hotel while we find out were they from. If we do that in Thailand they put us in MONKEY HOUSE. But we as a expat, sex tourist, retired or what ever we are. We spend money in this country and we just trying to avoid giving to much pocket money to greeeeeedy IM workers.

If there was an easy 1 year visa and easy way to pay i guess every one would correct?

Of course I am of the opinion that by far the best route to go if you will be here long term is a non-immigrant visa

LONG TERM one can but wonder what defines long term in your mind CMT. You support and call long term walkers tourists, even the one's who stay for years Preposterous ! A dictionary definition of tourist will be along the lines of ' one who tours for pleasure ' We'll see the outcomes soon. Back to backers are finding troubles at some border points now. The prime intent of your ilk is to avoid compliance with Government prescribed funding and banking requirements of the genuine retirees. One wonders whether this trickery is in any way related to the funds available to them. Scroll back...one of your ' brothers ' described himself as a loser who couldn't survive at home. As the Thai's might put it, mai mee satang laaw or Khon Chon. I'm betting a lot of 'em have no other choices than walking.

Enough anyway...wait on outcomes.

The actual definition of a tourist is irrelevant here. What is relevant is how Thai immigration chooses to enforce their laws. Again and again you proclaim your outrage at the walkers who selfishly abuse the system. But as long as Thai Immigration looks at the guy with 20 consecutive 30 day stamps and gives him another, then you can hardly blame the farang. If anything, your outrage should be directed at Immigration for allowing entry to those you so loathe.

I know half a dozen people who have been to Mae Sai in the past week. All are the scum you speak of who didn't bother to get a real visa. All crossed over and back with nothing more than smiles and thank yous. All of these people feel that they are complying with the law and rightly so. They look the immigration officers in the eye with nothing to hide, both smile and the stamp is granted. They don't care what people are saying on some website. They care about their first hand experience. And again, rightly so. If the law or enforcement of it ever changed, they would gladly comply.

The only relevant question is when, if ever, will Thai Immigration enforce these laws you speak of that deny entry to illegitimate 'long term' tourists? From the way you were preaching to the board over 2 months ago, I would have expected there to be major changes by now. But I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that these drastic changes are just around the corner. And if they never come, many of us up here in the North will be expecting some kind of explanation. And if that never comes, then of course many of us will take what you say here with a grain of salt.

Was the self confessed loser in the wanderers group. I take your self interest comments with far less than a grain of salt. I told you what is likely to happen you choose not to listen to me, or the others giving you the same messages. I

have no say in when it will come to pass. That is the Ministry of the Interiors role.

Its not that I don't listen Doctor, its that I hold people to what they say and sometimes, get this, even ask for clarification. I thank you this time for at least conceeding that you do not know when these changes might take place. Maybe a week. Maybe a month. Maybe a year. Maybe never. I think many members would have found that information relevant long ago. As we have said, time will tell.

Georgie-Porgie, I'll see you and the rest of the pennyless losers poolside.