Hiring A 7+ Seater Vehicle For A Trip To The Beach

JimShortz

I'm planning a trip down to the beach (Jontiem I think) in mid October. I'm looking to hire a vehicle that will comfortably accommodate 5 adults and 2 kids so I have been checking out the various car rental places along Moonmuang road. The choices I have seen so far (based on 7 days planned hire) are:

1. Nice minubus with driver for 2,100 per day, with driver - no option to take it without a driver (I like driving!)
  2. Toyota Fortuner for 1,800 per day
  3. Isuzu NU7 for 1,800 per day
  4. Toyota Sports rider for 1,600 per day

I'm kind of favouring the Fortuner, but only because it looks nice - I've never driven any of these, except the odd old minibus.

So, my questions are. Do you have any opinions on the various vehicles (which will be more comfortable, luggage space. etc.)?

Are there any better deals to be had around Chiang Mai for a week long rental?

Any advice much appreciated...

Having been researching 7 seater vehicles recently I can honestly say that a roadtrip with 5 adults & 2 kids to Jomtien in a Fortuner would be no fun, and unless you are all very good friends and skinny to boot, pretty uncomfortable. Six in a Fortuner is doable (just), seven means 2-3-2 in terms of seating and therefore no room for any luggage unless you are just taking toothbrush and cash. Roofrack will takes its toll in terms of fuel economy. Nice looking car but I wouldn't fancy a long distance drive with 7 pax on board.

For an SUV you get more room in a Pajero or MU-7 but it still wont be great re luggage.

While a mini-van does little for anyone's "street cred" they do a great job at shifting bodies and stuff in a relative degree of comfort. So if I could make a suggestion, hold your nose, shut your eyes and check out something like a Toyota Commuter or Alphard, Kia Pregio or Grand Carnival, Hyundai H1 or similar "uncool" but practical vehicles.

I have a Fortuner as do many others on this forum. I have never heard any complaints from the others and I certainly have none myself.

Depending on the size of the individuals I would suggest 5 adults would be a bit of a squeeze in the front 2 rows, the back row is for kids or smaller Thai sized adults.

The Fortuner is great on the highway, not a sports car by any means but very comfortable at 120 kph.

Check out one of the bigger dealers that the smaller rental agencies hire out from ! It's true, you might be hiring through a middleman otherwise. I know one of the top-level dealers is Ruby Rentals Chiang Mai. I used to teach English (to their highly intelligent and lovely staff!) at their main office, and it was often the case that cars and even their BMW bikes were being subcontracted out thru the ppl on the main tourist drags.

http://www.rubycarrental.com/ And it should be no trouble finding someone there to answer all of your questions in English !

I drive a couple of times a year between CM and Jomtien .I own a 10 year old diesel ,3L,Toyota Hiace van .We are 2 adults and a child ,and it takes all our luggage plus we also take the Honda Wave motorcycle inside the van as well .

A van is the way to go .With 5 adults and 2 children you will have a ton of luggage .

You might like to think of using the grey commuter vans one way to where you go and then use local transport. The vans go for about 1700 a day plus fuel.

I like the idea of having a van one-way, and picking up another a week later for the return journey, but who rents out vehicles one-way from Chiang Mai to Jomtien?

PS Thanks for all the other ideas dear kind Chiang Mai people!