Multi-Entry

I have a "non immigrant O A visa ( one year visa ) it is multi-entry , that cost $175, compared to single entry for $65. I am retiring in Thailand but want to travell to the surrounding countries, thus my reason for multi-entry. But now I have read that if you leave the country you need a re-entry stamp for ( single or multi-entry ) visa. I know this must be wrong because what is the point of multi-entry. Please confirm that I can come and go on my visa, and only report to immigrtation every 90 days,, thanks.

You don't need a re-entry permit on a Multiple Entry Visa. And, as you have to leave every 90 days, there is no need to report the 90 days too, as the clock is reset when leaving the Country.

The only period you might want to invest in a Re-Entry Permit is during the last validity period, where you still can stay in Thailand, but the Visa itself is invalid.

Say, your M- Visa is valid until August 30, 2011. You take a trip abroad and return on August 29th. You now get a permission to stay until November 27th or thereabouts (too lazy to count the days now ...) During this time, in case you plan to travel abroad, you would need a reentry permit, to be granted to stay until that day upon return.

Multi entry non immigrant O-A gets a one year permitted to stay on any entry during validity of visa. No re-entry permit is required or wanted during this period.

If you plan return travel after visa expires, but have permitted to stay time, you will need a re-entry permit to keep it alive.

No re-entry stamp required however one must leave the country every ninety days. The visa can actually be used for 15 months because if one does a visa run the day prior to the expiration date one gets another 3 months. I used this kind of visa for years and then had it converted to a retirement visa.

No re-entry stamp required however one must leave the country every ninety days. The visa can actually be used for 15 months because if one does a visa run the day prior to the expiration date one gets another 3 months. I used this kind of visa for years and then had it converted to a retirement visa.

No, he has an O-A visa, not a non-immigrant O visa. His visa gives him 1 year upon each entry instead of 90 days, so he can get almost 2 years out of it.

Aloha Jinxy1128. I also got a OA "Retirement" visa when I first moved to Thailand. I opted for one that was "good for multiple journeys". However, please understand that you will still need to get a "Multiple Re-entry Permit" to use in conjuction with your Multiple OA Visa if you plan to leave Thailand to visit other countries and return to Thailand.

For whatever sense it makes, the Multiple OA Visa only says that you are entitled to enter and leave Thailand multiple times. The Multiple Re-entry Permit gives you the actual authorization to do so.

I validated this at the main Immigration in Bangkok when I first arrived with only the Mulitple OA Visa. I was told that if I don't have a Multiple Re-entry Permit before leaving Thailand, my Multiple OA Visa would no longer be valid on my return to Thailand and I would need to enter on a tourist visa. Hence, start the OA Visa process all over again. I'm glad I checked. After my 1st year in Thailand, I've been paying for the annual extension and getting a new Multiple re-entry Permit at the same time. Do not let this lapse beyond the annual expiration date or you'll need to start all over again like a friend of mine had to do. What a pain! Lesson? Pay now and things will be smooth. Pay later as you'll start from scratch.

This may not all make rational sense, but I've come to accept "the Thai way or the highway" as a concession for living in this wonderful country.

Totally false information above. A multi entry non immigrant O-A visa allows unlimited travel and entry into Thailand for the one year it is valid and each entry gets a new one year stamp from date of arrival.

Use of a re-entry permit with above would be self-defeating as you would only get a stamp to your last permitted to stay period rather than a new one year stay.

Aloha Jinxy1128. I also got a OA "Retirement" visa when I first moved to Thailand. I opted for one that was "good for multiple journeys". However, please understand that you will still need to get a "Multiple Re-entry Permit" to use in conjuction with your Multiple OA Visa if you plan to leave Thailand to visit other countries and return to Thailand.

For whatever sense it makes, the Multiple OA Visa only says that you are entitled to enter and leave Thailand multiple times. The Multiple Re-entry Permit gives you the actual authorization to do so.

I validated this at the main Immigration in Bangkok when I first arrived with only the Mulitple OA Visa. I was told that if I don't have a Multiple Re-entry Permit before leaving Thailand, my Multiple OA Visa would no longer be valid on my return to Thailand and I would need to enter on a tourist visa. Hence, start the OA Visa process all over again. I'm glad I checked. After my 1st year in Thailand, I've been paying for the annual extension and getting a new Multiple re-entry Permit at the same time. Do not let this lapse beyond the annual expiration date or you'll need to start all over again like a friend of mine had to do. What a pain! Lesson? Pay now and things will be smooth. Pay later as you'll start from scratch.

This may not all make rational sense, but I've come to accept "the Thai way or the highway" as a concession for living in this wonderful country.

The girl in the visa office must be rubbing her hands together every time you walk in lol :lol:

Totally false information above. A multi entry non immigrant O-A visa allows unlimited travel and entry into Thailand for the one year it is valid and each entry gets a new one year stamp from date of arrival.

Use of a re-entry permit with above would be self-defeating as you would only get a stamp to your last permitted to stay period rather than a new one year stay.

Well, I think you might be right & I got screwed using my 1st year of my multi entry OA visa. I went back to my original stamp & it does say "Good for multiple journeys to Thailand". What is interesting is that you're saying that each re-entry on this gets a new 1 year stamp? Are saying is that by doing this, you never will have to apply for a 1 year "Extension of Stay" permit, hence, never have to pay another immigration fee? If that's really true, I've really been screwed for all the Extension of Stays I've completed & paid for the past 3 years! Somehow, even for Thailand, this doesn't make sense...

The Nakhon Phanom Immigration told me that once my mylti entry OA visa's stamp's date expired, I would need to fill out an Extension of Stay good for 1 year. The extension of stay stamp itself says that "To keep your stay permit, re entry permit must be made before leaving Thailand." Hence, single or multiple Re-Entry Permit.

Up to the date of expiry every time you re enter you will get 12 months.

Once the Visa has expired you will need a Re Entry permit to keep your stay alive.

Once that stay is almost complete you need to apply for a 12 month extension at Immigration.