Are Buisness Owners In Thailand Greedy?

Chalongian

Hi, I am wondering why so many buisness' in Thailand charge the same or In alot of cases more, for a great deal of products and services as they would in the western world, including everything from food in supermarkets and restraunts to furniture, cars, clothing, sports equiment....I could go on, yet still pay the staff working in most places an

abismal salary? How is this justified? What are your opinions on this?

I found most things to much cheaper in Thailand than in my home country, except things made in my home country and imported into Thailand.

So... do you have examples of stuff sold for more $ in Thailand than in a 'western' country, and that is not made in the said western country and then imported into Thailand?

Edited by manarak

High import duties are responsible for most of the higher charges in Thailand. I can buy most stuff cheaper in Canada... including most items made in Asia. What I've found cheaper in Thailand is transportation, accommodation and dining in Thai cafes. I can get a hamburger and a beer almost as cheap in Canada where they pay staff much higher wages. However, there are a few things I could never find in Canada of the same quality, and if I did it would be 10 times as much.

High import duties are responsible for most of the higher charges in Thailand.

High import duties and the fact that there are a lot less customers for many of the imported farang items as most Thais are not buying them. It is easier to get cheap prices when one buys very large quantities from wholesalers.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Locally made M and Ms, 29 baht!! What's up with that?

That is about the same or as much as 10 baht less than in many US stores :huh:

although many stores have sales of 3 or 4 various candies

( Hershey's, Kit Kat etc. ) for $2 / 62 baht

But US candy in LOS usually tastes not too good IMO

Edited by flying

I found most things to much cheaper in Thailand than in my home country, except things made in my home country and imported into Thailand.

So... do you have examples of stuff sold for more $ in Thailand than in a 'western' country, and that is not made in the said western country and then imported into Thailand?

Cars cost more in Thailand than UK, are locally made in Thailand and are of a lower spec than the equivalent cheaper model in UK.

Why should things cost the same as in another country anyway?

Mostly its supply and demand, the States for example is cheaper than everywhere else for just about everything because its such a large market.

Exchange rates also have an effect on perceived price difference.

Cars cost more in Thailand than UK, are locally made in Thailand and are of a lower spec than the equivalent cheaper model in UK.

Ya Manarak, open your eyes man, the car industry is ridiculous here, they make cheapo versions of other cars right HERE and sell them for more. Its disgusting.

That one does make you wonder eh?

Because I am guessing the Thais building them are not getting UAW union wages either.

That's mostly due to the excise tax charged on the sale of new cars. The rate is 20% for engines with a displacement below 2,000cc, 35% for 2,001-2,500cc, 40% for 2,501-3,000cc and 50% for engines larger than 3,000cc. The rate is 25% for cars that consume E20 fuel with 20% ethanol, with 10% for vehicles using fuel cells, batteries or hybrid systems.

TH