Problems With Landlord

Hi,

just asking for an advice. Thai landlord is trying to get me to pay the repairs for most likely broken electrical wiring. About 1/3 of the lights and wall sockets do not work anymore in the house, mostly outside. I think I am not responsible for paying that? And does anybody has an idea of how much of this "broken wire hunt" might cost?

Time to look for a new place to live.

Definitely I will but now I am kinda stuck for few more months so any advice would be nice to hear and probably there are others with similar experiences.

Edited by tim73

First, I want to apologize for any inaccurate assumptions, but I need to take couple of guesses as your post want not very long.

I am going to take a guess here that you informed him that these sockets and lights did not work, and he jumped into "It is your responsibility as the renter to repair them mode."

So, I suggest that you simply live with the bad lights and bad sockets until it is time to leave in a couple of months.

When it is time for the check out, have him come and look through the place. Sockets not working and lights not working are not damage. He cannot (legally - ha ha) deduct for these repairs.

If he tries, then hve him make a complete receipt out, quantifying the deposit amount and the deductions from the deposit and itemizing each one.

It may be that once this owner knows you are moving out, he may jump to attention and ask why...? If so, then you can let him know that he is not taking care of his rental unit, and you would stay if he made the necessary repairs. Although I am sure that you do not want to keep him as the landlord, this may be of benefit to you and work out.

I just had someone move into the home of a friend which I rent out for him. I had the renter tell me everything that was not working, lights, sockets, dripping faucets, etc. I asked him to wait a few days so that he could find everything possible. I had everything taken care of for 1,000 labor and a few hundred in parts.

For your next place, try and get the same arrangement. Not all of the landlords are s bad as the one you currently have.