Emigrating To Thailand

Hi everyone

Iv got a difficult question and I wanted to ask the people who have actually done it.

Im currently in the UK saving to emigrate to Thailand. I want to get an idea of about how much it will cost to actually sustain a life there.

I want to live in the central thailand area where its alot cheaper than the tourist areas.

I will need...

1. Land (1 Rye)

2. House (Family home say..3 bed)

3. Car/Pickup (family in mind)

4. Business/income (??????)

I understand this is a very vague question but im looking for ideas on things and prices.

Chainat1,

There are several threads relating to your questions, and you should make use of the SEARCH function. Try Google, to look for property sales. Try looking at the online editions of various regional newspapers for property ads.

"4. Business/income (??????)" - are we to decide what your expertise is, develop your business plan, and help you get financing?

Hi everyone

Iv got a difficult question and I wanted to ask the people who have actually done it.

Im currently in the UK saving to emigrate to Thailand. I want to get an idea of about how much it will cost to actually sustain a life there.

I want to live in the central thailand area where its alot cheaper than the tourist areas.

I will need...

1. Land (1 Rye)

I understand this is a very vague question but im looking for ideas on things and prices.

Your age is ? Are you married to a Thai ?

Hi everyone

I will need...

1. Land (1 Rye)

1. Land (1 Rye)..... You could buy 1 rai out in the sticks, no raod access, water, power 10,000 bhat or 1 rai in the center of a regional city (say chinat) for up to 10 million bhat

2. House (Family home say..3 bed)..... 3 bedroom concrete anywhere from 500,000 to at a guess 5 million depending on the size, fittings quality ect

3. Car/Pickup (family in mind) decent 2nd hand pick up (cab) 400,000 BMW X5 about 5 million

4. Business/income (??????) you could start a small shop, resteraunt ect up contry for as little as 100,000 or buy a large hotel/resort, bussines ect up to say 100 million

so thats a range of just over 1 million bhat to 120 million bhat I recon probably somewhere in between those figs :D:o

Not this again

TV reruns

YAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWN

That's why I suggested a FAQ, but no one seemed to like the idea.

Oh, well....

A good idea but just sit down and think what you would advise.

It is impossible to answer until you have asked the applicant about fifty questions.

A general overview would be very vague and consequently not stop the repeated questions.

Maybe there is a good business here counselling and advising .

Not this again

TV reruns

YAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWN

That's why I suggested a FAQ, but no one seemed to like the idea.

Oh, well....

Well it sure sounds like a good idea to me

Come on Larry,

When newbies come along and ask what they think are reasonable questions, it gives you a wonderful opportunity to complain about Thailand and Thai people. :o

If people only used the search facility, this forum would die, as ALL subjects have been discussed time and time again, there are only so many Thai related Threads one can discuss without repetition. :D

I agree with last poster. Larry dont be so hard on newbies think back to what got you excited about Thailand and how you may have needed info. Give this person a break!

So to the question, You should be able to relocate for between 3 and 5 million baht and your gonna need income of about 58,000 to 100,000 baht a month. This is very vauge advice because it does depend a lot on your kind of lifestyle and where you want to live

Good luck! :o

Chainat1,

There are several threads relating to your questions, and you should make use of the SEARCH function.  Try Google, to look for property sales.  Try looking at the online editions of various regional newspapers for property ads.

"4. Business/income (??????)" - are we to decide what your expertise is, develop your business plan, and help you get financing?

If I had an area of expertise I wouldn't need to ask the question now would I. Ideas would be fine but if your willing to do me a business plan send it on through! :o

Hi everyone

I will need...

1. Land (1 Rye)

Im 29 and have a thai wife. Chainat is the area my wife comes from.

Hi everyone

I will need...

1. Land (1 Rye)

1. Land (1 Rye)..... You could buy 1 rai out in the sticks, no raod access, water, power 10,000 bhat or 1 rai in the center of a regional city (say chinat) for up to 10 million bhat

2. House (Family home say..3 bed)..... 3 bedroom concrete anywhere from 500,000 to at a guess 5 million depending on the size, fittings quality ect

3. Car/Pickup (family in mind) decent 2nd hand pick up (cab) 400,000 BMW X5 about 5 million

4. Business/income (??????) you could start a small shop, resteraunt ect up contry for as little as 100,000 or buy a large hotel/resort, bussines ect up to say 100 million

so thats a range of just over 1 million bhat to 120 million bhat I recon probably somewhere in between those figs :D:o

Im talking minimal amounts. If I was thinking the higher range I should be playing the lottery more often!

Its how much do I need not would like. I guess you could put a price on Land, House and car but it will come down to business. what business you in random chances?

Hi everyone

I will need...

1. Land (1 Rye)

Im talking minimal amounts. If I was thinking the higher range I should be playing the lottery more often!

Its how much do I need not would like. I guess you could put a price on Land, House and car but it will come down to business. what business you in random chances?

I mean you could just like cows :D

Well I thought I did give minimum ammounts as well as the higher limit. As the saying goes........ask a dumb question ...ect :D:D
I thought she was from Lopburi, but her mum was from Chainat.
I mean you could just like cows
Actually to tell you a secret I fukcing hate them, espesially the ones that are'nt mine just wandering around my land :o

Hi everyone

I will need...

1. Land (1 Rye)

Can you put 400,000 baht in a bank in Thailand to enable you to extend your non-immigrant O visa for a year at a time ?

• 3 years later...
Hi everyone

I will need...

1. Land (1 Rye)

I am 40 and I do not have a Thai wife... yet! I have a lovely Thai girlfriend (she is 38) living in Nonthaburi and working for the Thai government there. I have known her for almost 2 years but only visited twice (3 weeks last June and 1 whole month from 10 April to 10 May this year). However, I do see her and speak with her every day on webcam and I would like to live and work in Thailand with her on a permanent basis, if I can only find out how and what I would need.

I have been Civil Servant, working in a UK government office for 14 years, but I am not happy here. I only seem to be truly happy when I am with Jan, my girlfriend in Thailand.

While I was in Thailand last month, I contacted the UK Embassy in Bangkok by e-mail, as I though it would be best to fix my problem while I was there, but they only gave me a short response, telling me that I would probably be better trying the Thai government in London... I forwarded the e-mail, adding a lot more detail, to the Thai Embassy in London and got no response from them at all.

I want to know what work opportunities are available for UK citizens in Thailand and what I would need to live and work there. Any suggestions?... Please help!

I have been Civil Servant, working in a UK government office for 14 years

regularly look at the British Embassey website job section, eery other month a half decent job for us british does come along, and as you have already worked for the UK goverment it should be easy for you to get a job

typical pay starts at 60K a month

Chainat1

It really does depend enormously on your chosen lifestyle and dgree of need for western things. When I read some of the TV posters saying how much they use/need I just laugh. Good for them, but you can manage with a lot less without living in a tin hut and eating at the temple.

If you want to buy western things/food then you can pay as much (or more) that you would in a western country. If they are things that only farang wants/buys, then expect to pay a premium. If you can manage with Thai food and thai gear then you can get by on a fraction of the above. If you run multiple air cons round the clock you will pay for it - not rocket science. If you can manage with ceiling fans most of the time, you save heaps. As you haven't lived here it will be difficult for you to answer that question just yet... how much west you need etc.

As another has advised, make plenty of use of the thaivisa search facility (takes some practice) but all the info you could possibly need is already stacked away in here. You just need to put in the time to find and digest it.

This is an ancient thread, the only posts with any relevance are from #19 onwards.

Maybe I can split the new posts into a separate thread :D

EDIT Or maybe I can't, seems I don't have a big enough moderating wand :)

This is an ancient thread, the only posts with any relevance are from #19 onwards.

Whoops, glad someone's got their glasses on :)

Yes, it is an old post, but I knew if I started a new one on this subject that somebody would have moaned at me for re-posting old subjects. So, I followed the advice on other posts and used the Search facility on here. I could not find a better existing post. If anybody could suggest a better one, please do. If anybody has some helpful information for me, that would be welcome too!

Thank you to Boater for your helpful advice. I will certainly have a look!

forget it, 99% of falangs who live in Thailand make there money in there own country,they have a earner back home and then come here to spend, keep your money in the UK, 8 months Thailand 4 months UK, if you cant make make money in the UK, well what chance do you have in a country were i guess you can not even read or write the language, my observations since 2002, but as they say, ;up to you; cheers Micky.

I am 40 and I do not have a Thai wife... yet! I have a lovely Thai girlfriend (she is 38) living in Nonthaburi <snip>

I want to know what work opportunities are available for UK citizens in Thailand and what I would need to live and work there. Any suggestions?... Please help!

Sorry no hot tips. You will have an extremely difficult time securing employment, especially given the current economic climate. You can just about forget about dealing with Thai organisations via email too - they are most unlikely to reply to you. And that also goes for recruitment firms. Most of the advertised jobs are only open to Thais (but they frequently don't bother to state that in the ad!). The work permit issue and minimum wage requirements applying to foreigners are too much of a barrier to many organisations.

All I can suggest is that you push every button you can think of and hope for the best. Aim to have a short-list of organisations to go and visit when you next come to Thailand. Read widely in Thaivisa of others experiences. Good luck

I am 40 and I do not have a Thai wife... yet! I have a lovely Thai girlfriend (she is 38) living in Nonthaburi <snip>

Sorry no hot tips. You will have an extremely difficult time securing employment, especially given the current economic climate. You can just about forget about dealing with Thai organisations via email too - they are most unlikely to reply to you. And that also goes for recruitment firms. Most of the advertised jobs are only open to Thais (but they frequently don't bother to state that in the ad!). The work permit issue and minimum wage requirements applying to foreigners are too much of a barrier to many organisations.

All I can suggest is that you push every button you can think of and hope for the best. Aim to have a short-list of organisations to go and visit when you next come to Thailand. Read widely in Thaivisa of others experiences. Good luck

If ok I'd like to add my 2 cents here as well. I have been married to a thai lady for 7 years and looking to move back home for several years. I am currently in Singapore and have lived in many countries in Asia and by far finding a job in Thailand has been the most diffecult. I must have sent 100 CV's out this year alone and finally am getting a few bites, I have 3 interviews this month for positions in Bangkok. The biggest problem I have in all honesty is in two areas. First, we are Farang and men and many employers are concerned about our desire to work or our desire to play. This is a big hurdle to overcome, many recruiters won't speak with us because they feel that we are all 'playboys' and thus are dedication may not be there. Second, there is the expectation of salary, I have 22 years as an IT Professional and have worked for several MNC organisations and the salary expectations are hard to imagine. For example, an IT Director in Singapore with a staff of 30 will typically get 7000 - 8000 USD per month, where in Thailand they will be offered 100,000 to 140,000 baht, an enourmous pay cut and most people just can take that kind of salary hit. So we are dismissed.

I am fluent in Thai and very flexible in salary but it has still taken me years to get opportunities. I hope one of these 3 interviews this month pans out. My wife would like to go home after years in Taiwan, Bahrain, and Singapore.

Hope you don't mind the long post and good luck.

Cshort64

I agree with last poster. Larry dont be so hard on newbies think back to what got you excited about Thailand and how you may have needed info. Give this person a break!

So to the question, You should be able to relocate for between 3 and 5 million baht and your gonna need income of about 58,000 to 100,000 baht a month. This is very vauge advice because it does depend a lot on your kind of lifestyle and where you want to live

Good luck! :)

Several times I have read expate exclaiming one needs 58-100k baht per month to live!

The OP has indicated he wants to live up country. After owning his own home and car how the hel_l do you expect anyone to need that kind of money to live in a village!!

Are you one of those that supports your whole extended family?

For a while I lived with my family in a town near Lopburi, we own our own houseshop and car. We NEVER spent more than about 15-20k per/mth, and that was living very well!

So Dave, please tell us what you spend 100k per/mth on? I am really interested to know.

If you own a house and a car, any small family could easily do with less than 30.000/m, anywhere in Thailand, including all insurances and eating out every other day.

I also don't see where the +58.000 comes from. Many champagne bars upcountry?

forget it, 99% of falangs who live in Thailand make there money in there own country,they have a earner back home and then come here to spend, keep your money in the UK, 8 months Thailand 4 months UK, if you cant make make money in the UK, well what chance do you have in a country were i guess you can not even read or write the language, my observations since 2002, but as they say, ;up to you; cheers Micky.

Thanks for your contribution Micky, but I wonder if that is true. I have heard of some people who have made it work in Thailand. It probably would help if I came to Thailand with money and then I could maybe start my own business, but there are jobs for Farangs in Thailand, aren't there?...