Rechargeable Batteries And Their Chargers!

Drew Aitch

Hi Forum :)

This is just a shot in the dark really, but someone might know, so it's definitely worth asking.

Today, I bought 4 rechargeable batteries from Pantip Plaza in CM. I have a couple of Sony chargers in the home, so just bought the first AAA's that I came across.

After getting back, I tore them out of their packets and went to place them in the charger. As I placed them in the slots, I saw the following text on the charger:

Ni-MH Battery Charger, AA or AAA size.

Looking at my new batteries it says: GP ReCyko+ Green Generation Battery Technology. Combining the benefits of Alkaline and Rechargeable Batteries.

There is no mention of Ni-MH on them, and I don't really know what that is anyway. But referring to my Sony instruction manual (for both chargers), is says that putting batteries into these chargers that are NOT Ni-MH, or Sony, might cause them to explode!

There is NOTHING on the packet of the mini instruction sheet warning that these GP ReCyko's must only be used in a certain type of re-charger. There's not even any warning about anything other than how to safely dispose of them after their 1000 recharges are up!

My gut is that it's best to buy a purpose charger and not play with potential fire, although it's a bit of bummer seeing as I already have 2 winking at me.

But if anyone here knows for sure whether it would be okay to put these GP ReCyko types in a Ni-MH Battery Charger, then please let me know before I dash out and buy yet another purpose charger, or some new Sony Ni-MH batteries, whichever turns out the cheapest.

Thanks in advance

Aitch

I'll take a shot.:lol: Ni-MH is Nickel-metal hydroid cell for the negative post of a dry cell and replaces cadmium. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel-metal_hydride_battery

If you already have these little jewels in the charger and they are getting their wake up juice. I don't see a problem. The Green technology sells pitch is just that. Green sells now days . Just to be on the safe side put a shoebox over the charger. You never know. :lol:

If you already have these little jewels in the charger and they are getting their wake up juice. I don't see a problem. The Green technology sells pitch is just that. Green sells now days . Just to be on the safe side put a shoebox over the charger. You never know. :lol:

Ha ha LOL :) I was thinking of using an extension cord and tucking them in the back of the safe while on charge (anyone would think it was frigging dynamite!), but then i decided not to bother trying to charge them until i knew for sure whether it could be done or not. The problem when you rip open packaging is that the items are not exchangeable or refundable. So much for haste!

Aitch

I have several of the AAA size GP Recyko batteries and they state that they are 1.2V 780mAh NIMH batteries,i.e they are Nickel Metal Hydride

and should ( I put that rider in, you could be a lawyer biggrin.gif) be perfectly safe for use in a NIMH charger. If you want to make sure for yourself google

GP Recyko.com and see if you recognise your batteries there. All the batteries shown on their site are NIMH batteries. They are very good and are

sold on the UK Amazon site.

Hi Forum

Just a quick update for anyone who might be interested.

Firstly, because of the potential danger warnings on my Sony recyclable battery chargers, I decided not to play games and plug these GP ReCyKo's in until I knew for sure it would be safe.

There was nothing on the packaging of these batteries that said anything about them being Ni-MH, but there was a mention that they combine Alkaline and rechargeable battery technology, and that's all I knew.

I returned to the shop in CM's Pantip Plaza where I bought them along with my Sony Ni-MH charger. The fella didn't try to sell me a purpose GP ReCyKo charger but simply confirmed that they were okay to use in the Sony one I already had. In fact, there was some print on the side of these AAA batteries that was so small, it couldn't even be read with glasses. He appeared with a magnifier and printed text as small as a 4pt font, was Ni-MH.

So there we have it. It seems as though these companies hide useful information in the small print in an attempt to promote and sell products that support the brand in question.

Anyhow, they charge fine and that's that, so no need to buy a new charger for these eco-friendly rechargeables, which, after reading up on since purchase, appear to be a very good choice.

Cheers

Aitch

Edited by Drew Aitch