Healthy Economy!

vreemd13

I regularly visit a small Issan village (2 family, about 200 citizens). I already visit for last 5 years (2-3x each year, for many weeks each time). I am supposed to be first 'farang' visitor at this village and during 4.5 years nothing has changed the village image. Last month visit, I noticed 7 new houses were build, just during the last half year period (I did 3x visits this year).

Sure:

1) I was asked years ago to build a new house at the village, but I did not do

2) I will never do NOW, what to think about seven ...... unknown financial supporters (or is Thai farm economy really booming)

3) When I asked about the village change, a normal response was: 'don't think about it'

4) 5 years and still a stranger

Your input please?

Shoot!

I suspect that point 4 says it all. You could easily have said "50 years and still a stranger".

We are all foreigners in a strange land (or is it "strangers in a foreign land?)

Just carry on enjoying your visits :jap:

Edited by Tropicalevo

5 years and still a visitor!

Why would you expect strangers to get to know you, unless you 'flash the cash' and then, would you really want to associate with that type?

I have lived in a small village for the last 4 years and whilst not helped much financially, I can say, I try to help and get involved with Thai friends in my village, the local infant school & Wat. Here on the outskirts of Surin, there are more and more houses being built and I see that as a positive step in the right direction because following them are more facilities including Farang foodstuffs and entertainment venues. Sure some funds might come from Farang benefactors or Bank loans but equally some come from well paid Thai workers in industry. I think the Thai economy is BOOMING in relation to most of the 'so-called' civilised world.

Weather you would be happy living in an Isaan village is an entirely seperate matter (thread)

Good Luck anyways

In my village someone just built a very nice house that had to have cost over 1 million baht. The people across the street from me bought a second hand car, but this is their second car (they are now a two car family) I don’t notice anybody coming home because they don’t have work, but I know a few who have gone to Bangkok and found work. In the closet district town to me in the past year a new 7/11 and Tesco Lotus Express has gone in, plus a new bank and many shops have been renovated, this is just a small district town that now has 3 7/11s, 1 Tesco Lotus Express, One Black Cat, one fairly large independent grocery store and one smaller one, plus two banks and numerous banking machines. Anytime I have been in a Tesco Lotus, Big C, or Makro in the provincial towns around me, they have always been busy and on weekends forget about trying to find a parking space the first time around the lot. The Thai stock market just regained its 1997 levels and the Baht is around 31 to the US $. Yes I would say that Thailand is doing very well. Yet my wife who is an ardent red shirt says that Thailand is very down and nobody has any money and everybody is on ya-bah. I have no idea where she is getting this information from and of course as with most Thais there is no point asking her or arguing about it with her, however it does say something about the red shirt mentality; they have no concept of reality.

Debt, debt and more debt is my guess.

Is there any kind of personal finance education in the public school curriculum? Talking to family and neighbors from a small village, I've been shocked at what kind of financial agreements people are willing to enter into and what a mess personal finances are. I would think some better personal financial education would be a good way to help the rural areas develop.

In our village there are about 8 new home being built right now,only two are girls with falangs the others between ones who go work bangkok and others who work farm,you must remember sugar was very good for money last year and even this year sugar prices are still steady,so money comes in from farm they renew there homes and build new.

Debt, debt and more debt is my guess.

Is there any kind of personal finance education in the public school curriculum? Talking to family and neighbors from a small village, I've been shocked at what kind of financial agreements people are willing to enter into and what a mess personal finances are. I would think some better personal financial education would be a good way to help the rural areas develop.

Same explanation behind all the shiny new cars and truck in Isaan as well... there's just as many new houses in rural Laos as well. The culture in Isaan is very much focused on building new structures and getting rid of the old, there's almost no respect for older structures at all, even wats. Buildings aren't built to last. It's one of the most depressing parts of Thailand in my opinion, all the monotonous rotting moldy concrete buildings that make up the majority of every single town. I've always said that if just one thai city made an effort to preserve or build in the traditional wooden fashion they would have throngs of tourists in no time... people want to see old Siam (or Lanxang ;) ), not endless rows of faux-columned concrete blocks covered in giant signs.

I've always said that if just one thai city made an effort to preserve or build in the traditional wooden fashion they would have throngs of tourists in no time... people want to see old Siam (or Lanxang ;) ), not endless rows of faux-columned concrete blocks covered in giant signs.

Have you ever stay in one of those old wooden house ? There are very uncomfortable and it's almost impossible to fit in a modern kitchen or a modern bathroom. There are park and museum that show old style house for the tourists entertainment, that's what museum are for.

On the other hand, if you want to see how Thailand was 50-100 years ago, you can still visit Burma but I'm not so sure I would enjoy living there ....

To answer the OP, life around Khao Yai is nice and the area is moving fast into the 21st century. Technically, is not really Isaan yet, depends which side of the park you are. Because of the proximity from Bangkok, a lot of educated Thai are moving there, some only for the week end and the holidays, some full time. Why do I insist on the "educated" Thais? Because they help develop the area much faster than the local or the occasional falang would be able to do

The problem is new houses are getting off the ground faster than mushrooms after the rain and land is getting very expensive.

Edited by JurgenG

Thanks for your input, it has given me a broader viewpoint and different understanding of the change in this small village.

Still, something was / is boiling in my brain, which is just difficult to let go.

Thanks again, and just shoot .... I like more information to digest and will respond later.

3) When I asked about the village change, a normal response was: 'don't think about it'

It could be the woman/girls connected to those houses have multiple farang supporters each, and the village doesn't want you to think you're just another tool like the others. I've seen it myself and it's repulsive (thai woman frantically moving the thai husband and their kids out of the house when the farang comes to visit... absolutely despicable, though perhaps the farang kinda deserves it if he's that oblivious). It's not as bad as China, but in Thailand it seems like money is sought after no matter what the cost, no matter how low they have to stoop... no limits or boundaries whatsoever.

Edited by Svenn

Thanks for your input, it has given me a broader viewpoint and different understanding of the change in this small village.

Still, something was / is boiling in my brain, which is just difficult to let go.

Thanks again, and just shoot .... I like more information to digest and will respond later.

Actually I'm surprised you seem not to be able to get the answers to your question. There are also a couple of remote places I visit regularly. We usually pay a visit to the local temple and a couple of restaurant we like. And we talk .... Who sold this land, who bought that one, who built this house ...Thai love to chat.

Edited by JurgenG

Actually I'm surprised you seem not to be able to get the answers to your question. There are also a couple of remote places I visit regularly. We usually pay a visit to the local temple and a couple of restaurant we like. And we talk .... Who sold this land, who bought that one, who built this house ...Thai love to chat.

Some crop prices are at there best ever, right now,Rubber is the leader of the pack, sugar and cassava are also very good. Only paddy and euca are poor.So many farmers are making very good money, now.Most new houses are not being built with farang money, unlike in the past.In our shopping town ,this year over 100 new shops have or are being built.I suspect a lot of new building is being done, with loans from the B.A.A.C..I live in a" traditional " Thai style house. The downstairs where the animals used to sleep, has been built in, and has become a large lounge With a modern kitchen and bathroom.Only problem is -low ceiling , downstairs. Tall people cannot go near the overhead fan!!Unless they want a rather drastic haircut

• Like 1

dont judge the situation by how any houses are built.But one common denominator of coz is always , as everywhere, CASH.. But I think what you need is a little more moral support from your Partner.This is a different society, cannotcompare anyrhing to any western standard,just accept and careful with your money. Farrangs refere to themselfs often as "the walking ATM " Maschine..................