Little Britain's Thai Girl P**s Take.

markt

Am I the only person that thinks Little Britain is sh*t?  :o

There are a few amusing sketches such as the ‘yeah but, no but’ girl and the guy who fancied his mates granny, but mostly it’s characters with one joke over and over.

I don't think it's sh*t but it's not that great.

Someone just lent me DVDs of two series and I watched them all straight through which was probably a mistake as some of it was very repetitive. Though I thought they did a reasonable job of ditching characters who had burnt out by the end of the first series (including the granny lover and the Jock with the recorder).

A lot of it's been done before - Harry Enfield and Lenny Henry come to mind. But a decent evening's entertainment nevertheless.

Edited by Tarragona

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I the only person that thinks Little Britain is sh*t?  :D

There are a few amusing sketches such as the ‘yeah but, no but’ girl and the guy who fancied his mates granny, but mostly it’s characters with one joke over and over. A guy in a wheelchair says he wants to go to Helsinki for his holiday then changes his mind after they set off etc, etc. A bloke who wants to be ‘A Lady’! I don’t think it should be mentioned in the same room as Python, or even ‘The Fast Show’ come to that. Hardly a good representation of British comedy to be aired on STAR in a foreign country. I guess it’s in good company with the likes of ‘The Kumars’ and ‘French and Saunders’. The cream of British comedy, I don’t think! :o

It's just funny, but you are right it's no where near Python. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I had fun watching it, but more fun watching two back to back episodes of Black Adder. As far as I am concerned though nothing is near Python! :D

Am I the only person that thinks Little Britain is sh*t?  :o

It's just funny, but you are right it's no where near Python. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I had fun watching it, but more fun watching two back to back episodes of Black Adder. As far as I am concerned though nothing is near Python! :D

I like little britain but "Black Adder" now we're talkng. :D Genius, absolute genius. I have to wear incontinance trousers when i watch that :D

I thought I was the only one who thought the same. :D

Only saw two episodes back to back and didn't think much of them.

The wheelchair guy who always wants something then changes his mind when he's got it is a complete of BBC license payers money. The sketch wasn't funny the first time so why should variations of the same sketch be any funnier? :o

Exactly! It seems that the creators of Little Britain have reached the point where they can produce any sketch and no one will question its comic value. It’s a lot like modern art. I was at work recently and everyone was heaping praise on the show. When I admitted I thought it was poor everyone went quiet and downgraded it to 'not bad', as if I had burst their bubble and they had suddenly realized that it wasn't very good after all. What a strange phenomenon. :D

I thought I was the only one who thought the same. :D

Only saw two episodes back to back and didn't think much of them.

The wheelchair guy who always wants something then changes his mind when he's got it is a complete of BBC license payers money. The sketch wasn't funny the first time so why should variations of the same sketch be any funnier? :o

Exactly! It seems that the creators of Little Britain have reached the point where they can produce any sketch and no one will question its comic value. It’s a lot like modern art. I was at work recently and everyone was heaping praise on the show. When I admitted I thought it was poor everyone went quiet and downgraded it to 'not bad', as if I had burst their bubble and they had suddenly realized that it wasn't very good after all. What a strange phenomenon. :D

Sheepy minded, nothing you can do. :D

My first year back I discovered the return of Alan partridge.

My second year back I discovered The Office.

This year I discovered and loved Little Britain.

I'm not over the moon that they are highlighting the stereotype that only sad tossers end up with Thai wives because I know it isn't true and it won't make life any easier for those with Thai wives in the U.K., not that they should care what people think, but if they enjoy the show then good on them.

it won't make life any easier for those with Thai wives in the U.K., not that they should care what people think, but if they enjoy the show then good on them

1) You're right, it won't make life easier.

2) Everyone always adds here, 'not that they should care'. Well, people do care about how their wives are regarded. Its inescapable, they're not made of stone.

3) Thailand, if it truly had the national pride it says it has, should act if it doesn't want to be caricatured in this way.

4) Maybe those Thai wives in the UK are 'mail order' or ex-hooker, so perhaps something relevant is being said.

• 3 months later...

Little Britain is not the first British comedy show to use the 'thai wife' as a comedy material - teachers did it last year to quite reasonable effect - they actually used a thai actress for the role who came out with some (non subtitled) thai expletives in the show - it was quite funny.

While my wife did find it funny and will no doubt laugh at the new little brittain series we do sometimes despair of the stereotype of thailand and thai - western relationships in particular. Cant blame comedy writers really though as politically correct comedy that doesnt rely on fairly tired stereotypes is quite hard to do well!

As a teacher in a london school - who has to listen to kids continually mimicking the sketches in little britain - i'll think i wont divulge the nationality of my wife to my classes. It's bad enough seeing the eyebrows raised from my colleagues when they find out - even though she wasn't a bargirl or ordered from the internet!

There were a couple of 'in jokes' which only Thai heads would have got in the Thai Wife sketch. Someone knows the score in the Little Britain sketch methinks.........

Where Ting Tong has her (extended) family pictures roll out of her wallet is the only one i noticed. :o

What 'in jokes'? I thought the sketch was disappointing - no research at all, Dting Dong seemed to have a brummy accent! At one point Mat Lucus who plays the Thai wife said something about coming from Taiwan!! In fact the whole show was a little disappointing - perhaps a third series is ambitious!

Thai wife in teachers much better!

it won't make life any easier for those with Thai wives in the U.K., not that they should care what people think, but if they enjoy the show then good on them

1) You're right, it won't make life easier.

2) Everyone always adds here, 'not that they should care'. Well, people do care about how their wives are regarded. Its inescapable, they're not made of stone.

3) Thailand, if it truly had the national pride it says it has, should act if it doesn't want to be caricatured in this way.

4) Maybe those Thai wives in the UK are 'mail order' or ex-hooker, so perhaps something relevant is being said.

Too right Moog, I totally agree. I once said to a guy I had a Thai girlfriend. 'Thai bride' he kept saying as though I'd ordered her from a catalogue. And that thanks to TV.

Going for job interviews now I'm reluctant to mention I have a Thai wife in case it prejudices their image of me.

In fact I had a job interview yesterday, they asked if I was married and I explained. Today I found I didn't get the job. I wonder if they watched Little Britain last night and thought about me before making their decision. Yes, that's what I'll put it down to!

Edited by Eastender

OH! NO! Not here. Everywhere you look in the U.K Little Brit is soooo funny. Give me a break. Each sketch has one joke and they are sparse in the humour department.

If I was 12 it would be the best thing ever. I'm not and it isn't.

British comedy is great. Who can forget Father Ted, Brasseye, Big Train and The Office.

A fat lad in a tight rubber gimp suit falls way short.

Ting Tong takes a pop at an lame stereotype. That's about as good as it gets on Little Shitten.

Well, I thought that I had better watch so that I was as clued up as the mickeytakers that I shall undoubtedly meet over the next few days. I explained as best I could to the princess what she could expect to see - British humour, Thai lady, funny, mail-order - and we settled down to await the start of the programme. About 5 seconds into the Thai sketch the 'phone rang. I took it out of the room, sorted the call out quickly and returned to the tv to find that the sketch had finished. However, princess was sitting, arms folded and lips pursed, ready to ask me why I wanted so much to see' fat Thai lady on television'. :o

I still can't see what the joke is/will be, other than she is fat and he doesn't like her very much.

As someone else said earlier, they don't seem to have done much, if any, research into this subject. What accent was Lucas doing? It sounded a bit like Vicky Pollard's.

All the Little Britain characters use the same joke over and over again, just in different situations. So what will Khun Ting Tong's joke be? The fact that she is a mail order bride? She is fat? She's foreign?

If they wanted to do this character using the popular stereotype, then she should be a sexy little thing, plenty of gold etc asking for large amounts of money for her large family, sick buffalo etc...

And Dudley, an old bloke who knows he's getting fleeced but can't resist her "affections".

:o

I still can't see what the joke is/will be, other than she is fat and he doesn't like her very much.

As someone else said earlier, they don't seem to have done much, if any, research into this subject.  What accent was Lucas doing?  It sounded a bit like Vicky Pollard's. 

All the Little Britain characters use the same joke over and over again, just in different situations.  So what will Khun Ting Tong's joke be?  The fact that she is a mail order bride?  She is fat?  She's foreign? 

If they wanted to do this character using the popular stereotype, then she should be a sexy little thing, plenty of gold etc asking for large amounts of money for her large family, sick buffalo etc...

And Dudley, an old bloke who knows he's getting fleeced but can't resist her "affections". 

:D

HHhhhhmmmmm, maybe its not supposed to be side split funny. Maybe its a little dryer :o than that?

As someone else said earlier, they don't seem to have done much, if any, research into this subject.  What accent was Lucas doing?  It sounded a bit like Vicky Pollard's. 

All the Little Britain characters use the same joke over and over again, just in different situations.  So what will Khun Ting Tong's joke be?  The fact that she is a mail order bride?  She is fat?  She's foreign? 

:D

HHhhhhmmmmm, maybe its not supposed to be side split funny. Maybe its a little dryer :o than that?

I agree totally - for a start, how are either Matt Lucas or David Walliams supposed to portray a "sexy little thing"?

If you want a better insight into their type of humour, look out for a series of shorts they made a few years back called Rock Profile, where they took the piss out of famous pop artists! There portryal of Prince as an alcoholic Glaswegian was funny - but not realistic!

I guess its the same the world over for any type of comedy - it either does it for you or it doesn't... Vive le difference!

BTW - an example of how popular they are in the UK - check this link:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tickets-to-Little-Br...1QQcmdZViewItem

(Not spamming - its for charity mate!)

I thought it was quite funny, and I'm not a fan of Little Britain, only watched it to see the "famous Thai bride sketch".

Was expecting to get some mega-digs from my colleagues at work here in the UK, but I think their tide of abuse has washed out against the rock of my indifference to their opinions. So no digs.

-Ace-