Chiang Mai Businesses Closing Or For Sale

tabs053

We will not see the Maccas, KFC, etc close up shop in the near future. Strength of business plan and systems always gets these guys through.

The Mike's Original seems to be dropping off now IMO, especially over at Central on Heuy Gow KFC was absolutely packed as normal. Yet Mike's never had a single customers for the whole day I saw it.

The strong baht is definately hurting most- as a 200bt does not seem a low cost anymore. All about perceptions, the shock of seeing 29.xx bt next to the US dollar made me think 'How low will it go'. US not looking bright and rosy in the near future.

Is the strong baht a matter of this country (Thai) being held by the belief that they are doing better than most other countries. It will be a very light HIGH Season if the baht remain high- whilst their neighbours and Tourism competitor do not rise.

If you making your money in baht at the moment you are definately well in the money. Wished i changed over a lot more a few months ago, as it HURTS everytime I visit the exchange booth or ATM now.

Like many I suspect we been holding OFF on receiving any serious money as the baht was 20% better only a few months ago. So we are stuck on a price in our mind. If we are used to US dollar at 35bt then we do not wish to take 29bt unless an emergency. So that means we sacrifice visits to shops and resturants in the ST for what we hope will be LT gains. Well that the way I play it now- much like the stockmarket.

Yet who is to say it will not drop another 40% over the next year- now that has probably made many expats crap themselves- it possible yet not probable.

:jap:

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[sarahsbloke] In the Oxide bar you can get a bottle of Sangsom Rum with unlimited mixers for 250bht, these drinks are all poured by university girls wearing themed outfits (last week French maid costumes, we've also seen naughty nurses) A very nice Thai dinner costs 25bht and a fruit shake 10bht.

Directions please!

Financial forecasts/opinions are all contrived. Just yesterday I was watching CNBC and a well-known Australian Mutual Fund manager was highly recommending investors to buy put options on the SET as he said "the Thai stock market is vastly oversold and ready for a correction."

For that matter the SET is up over 100% since late 2008 so there may be some good advice there...I don't know.

We will not see the Maccas, KFC, etc close up shop in the near future. Strength of business plan and systems always gets these guys through.

The Mike's Original seems to be dropping off now IMO, especially over at Central on Heuy Gow KFC was absolutely packed as normal. Yet Mike's never had a single customers for the whole day I saw it.

The strong baht is definately hurting most- as a 200bt does not seem a low cost anymore. All about perceptions, the shock of seeing 29.xx bt next to the US dollar made me think 'How low will it go'. US not looking bright and rosy in the near future.

Is the strong baht a matter of this country (Thai) being held by the belief that they are doing better than most other countries. It will be a very light HIGH Season if the baht remain high- whilst their neighbours and Tourism competitor do not rise.

If you making your money in baht at the moment you are definately well in the money. Wished i changed over a lot more a few months ago, as it HURTS everytime I visit the exchange booth or ATM now.

Like many I suspect we been holding OFF on receiving any serious money as the baht was 20% better only a few months ago. So we are stuck on a price in our mind. If we are used to US dollar at 35bt then we do not wish to take 29bt unless an emergency. So that means we sacrifice visits to shops and resturants in the ST for what we hope will be LT gains. Well that the way I play it now- much like the stockmarket.

Yet who is to say it will not drop another 40% over the next year- now that has probably made many expats crap themselves- it possible yet not probable.

:jap:

I agree with your assessment although what I think you meant to say was that 200 THB does not seem like a high cost anymore. You almost can't do anything with 100 THB anymore. Sure you can buy a beer, put gas in a motorcycle, buy a meal at a cheap Thai restaurant, etc., but that's about it. I'm sure people on this forum have noticed how much Thais are spending when they go grocery shopping at Carrefour, Tesco Lotus, etc. It ain't like it used to be years ago here...

The down turn on local business piratically in the tourist area of town has been differently noticeable for the past 6 months. Yes it stinks and I fell for the business owners. As Sarasblocke pointed out there are other areas that are doing quite good including the fact that these areas draw farangs. I can show you two business out side of town that on any given day at 4 PM they well have 6 to 12 customers all farangs drinking and eating. At night I have seen 20 at these institutions. This not a one off this is a common occurrence. There are allot more of these business than you would guess. The farang sees no reason to go into town.

The Thai bars and clubs along with Thai eating places are packed every night.

In the Santhitham area you can get a large Chang Classic served by a 20-year-old virgin who sits with you and pours your beer for 50bht a bottle. In the Oxide bar you can get a bottle of Sangsom Rum with unlimited mixers for 250bht, these drinks are all poured by university girls wearing themed outfits (last week French maid costumes, we've also seen naughty nurses) A very nice Thai dinner costs 25bht and a fruit shake 10bht.

What's the giveaway?????

Santitham is a geat area for cheap eats and drinks.....and a bit of fun.

In fact I'd recommend that more people venture to the Thai bars, whichever side of town you live.

Even if you don't speak the language, you won't feel out of place and they hope that you will return often.

They are happy making a small profit and sitting talking to the likes of those described above, sure beats the hel_l out of driving a long way just to talk to a boring farang pub owner or staring at a shelf full of bottles!

We have recently taken a decision to take our business off the market and soldier on, but August has been exceptionally poor this year as a result of a combination of factors - the strong baht, the political situation, concerns about His Majesty's health, the general world economic outlook and the fact that we have had a normal monsoon in August whereas the last two Augusts have been very dry. Of these factors the most important is the value of the baht. We have dropped a number of prices and introduced a budget range of meals, but we have limited scope for price cuts as the price of foodstuffs including eggs, potatoes & fresh vegetables have soared and the price of many of the Farang speciality products have remained constant despite the greatly lowered cost of importing these products (Marmite, Branston Pickle, Brown Sauce, etc etc) Mr Rimping must be coining it in.

In short, trading conditions are pretty terrible - i accept that September is back to the low season but August is normally a chance for businesses to fill the coffers after June and July in order to stave off the bailiffs until November.- and who knows what sort of high season we are going to have!

Pleased to hear you have taken the business of the market but l do not think the political problems and the lack of tourists will go away in the immediate future.The strong baht is causing a lot of ex-pats to tighten their

purse strings and cook at home more often now. Since l have been living in Thailand for the past 10 years the cost of imported goods at Rimping have risen over 100% and if l want anything now l have to wait for my friends to bring them back from the UK

The down turn on local business piratically in the tourist area of town has been differently noticeable for the past 6 months. Yes it stinks and I fell for the business owners. As Sarasblocke pointed out there are other areas that are doing quite good including the fact that these areas draw farangs. I can show you two business out side of town that on any given day at 4 PM they well have 6 to 12 customers all farangs drinking and eating. At night I have seen 20 at these institutions. This not a one off this is a common occurrence. There are allot more of these business than you would guess. The farang sees no reason to go into town.

Yes, this is due, I believe, to the fact that in-town places are reliant on tourists, but places outside of town (oiften the ones near larger farang domiciled moo bahns) get the xpats - amny of whom are paid in Baht and are less bothered

directly by the exchange rate. this is as I suggested earlier when I mentioned my cafe, 11 KM from town, that serves local farangs and Thais and has food at normal (food court like) prices. Rents are cheap, leases are cheap, freeholds are cheap, local markets ar cheap, beer is cheap from macro bt the crate (less than 30B a large bottle - easy to make a good margin without ripping people off), parking is easy and trouble is unheard of and self-rectifying (a drunk/annoying Thai is told to p!ss off by another customer before my staff even gets close - and tourists are passing trade and not looking to get wasted and laid and start a fist fight).

We have recently taken a decision to take our business off the market and soldier on, but August has been exceptionally poor this year as a result of a combination of factors - the strong baht, the political situation, concerns about His Majesty's health, the general world economic outlook and the fact that we have had a normal monsoon in August whereas the last two Augusts have been very dry. Of these factors the most important is the value of the baht. We have dropped a number of prices and introduced a budget range of meals, but we have limited scope for price cuts as the price of foodstuffs including eggs, potatoes & fresh vegetables have soared and the price of many of the Farang speciality products have remained constant despite the greatly lowered cost of importing these products (Marmite, Branston Pickle, Brown Sauce, etc etc) Mr Rimping must be coining it in.

In short, trading conditions are pretty terrible - i accept that September is back to the low season but August is normally a chance for businesses to fill the coffers after June and July in order to stave off the bailiffs until November.- and who knows what sort of high season we are going to have!

Pleased to hear you have taken the business of the market but l do not think the political problems and the lack of tourists will go away in the immediate future.The strong baht is causing a lot of ex-pats to tighten their

purse strings and cook at home more often now. Since l have been living in Thailand for the past 10 years the cost of imported goods at Rimping have risen over 100% and if l want anything now l have to wait for my friends to bring them back from the UK

I was in Rimping at Meechok Plaza yesterday afternoon. First time in about 6 weeks. I have been buying everything I need at Tesco, 7-11 and the local market in Doi Saket. What I did notice about Rimping is how decrepit it has gotten and their staff are NOT restocking the shelves. As for customers I find that 3/4 are Thai. They do have money.

I was in Rimping at Meechok Plaza yesterday afternoon. First time in about 6 weeks. I have been buying everything I need at Tesco, 7-11 and the local market in Doi Saket. What I did notice about Rimping is how decrepit it has gotten and their staff are NOT restocking the shelves. As for customers I find that 3/4 are Thai. They do have money.

Has this ever been in doubt?

There are a lot of rich and super rich, but of course a heck of a lot of poor and super poor.

As you walk into Rimping by the river, all the fruits are shining....I think someone goes over them with Turtle Wax the night before. The same (unshiny) fruits that you find in Thai markets way, way cheaper!

I can thank of four so called cornerstone establishments off the top of my head that are up for sell. Coincidence?

If you can fit four cornerstone establishments on the top of your head, then all I can say is "well done".

I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'conerstone businesses', especially as regards to chiang Mai - businesses that have been here for more than a year, is that the rub of it? Probably nothing to do with coincidence either.

Why do you think they are for sale.

In your OP you mention both poor service and management. They of course go hand in hand.

There is an earlier post here (in another thread) about a sausage place closing and two customers leaving because they did not like/undrestand the breakfast menu. They say one of the owners was in attendance but that no convesation took place between them as to the reason for their departure. Why did they not ask the owner for clarification of the menu etc, and if the response was not to their liking why did they not offer feedback to the owner?

I am sure that businesses who have an open channel of feedback to management about the standards, problems, and general moderation of their perceived bad service have a better chance of improving their service, as in an open forum perhaps, than those who just ban or ignore their customers (no rif raf here I hear!)

Listen to your customers, let other customers know the subject is under discussion and feedback to all your customers and your business must improve. Putting your head in the sand or having a quiet word here and there does not work.

At the Fish Spa behind Carrefour, they have a sign out front that lists prices as "Up to you"! No joke. My g/f went in there and asked what that meant and it literally meant whatever you offer. The girl said that there had not been a single customer in 3 days.

Hard-times, when a fish-spa must perhaps have to contemplate, buying fish-food for its' 'operatives' ! :blink: Pla Humbug ! :whistling:

Good one and absolutely right......they probably never ever thought they would need to feed the fish, just let them feed on the tourists.

As I sat outside I could see that most of the tanks barely had any fish left in them. I guess most of the fish have already starved to death! :unsure:

Financial forecasts/opinions are all contrived. Just yesterday I was watching CNBC and a well-known Australian Mutual Fund manager was highly recommending investors to buy put options on the SET as he said "the Thai stock market is vastly oversold and ready for a correction."

For that matter the SET is up over 100% since late 2008 so there may be some good advice there...I don't know.

Sorry I meant "overbought" - not oversold.

At the Fish Spa behind Carrefour, they have a sign out front that lists prices as "Up to you"! No joke. My g/f went in there and asked what that meant and it literally meant whatever you offer. The girl said that there had not been a single customer in 3 days.

Hard-times, when a fish-spa must perhaps have to contemplate, buying fish-food for its' 'operatives' ! :blink: Pla Humbug ! :whistling:

Good one and absolutely right......they probably never ever thought they would need to feed the fish, just let them feed on the tourists.

As I sat outside I could see that most of the tanks barely had any fish left in them. I guess most of the fish have already starved to death! :unsure:

Or with the price of food, eaten.:bah:

The Thai bars and clubs along with Thai eating places are packed every night.

In the Santhitham area you can get a large Chang Classic served by a 20-year-old virgin who sits with you and pours your beer for 50bht a bottle. In the Oxide bar you can get a bottle of Sangsom Rum with unlimited mixers for 250bht, these drinks are all poured by university girls wearing themed outfits (last week French maid costumes, we've also seen naughty nurses) A very nice Thai dinner costs 25bht and a fruit shake 10bht.

Now truck on over to the white area (MoonMuang Soi1/2) where a large Chang costs 60-80bht, breakfast 100+bht and you get a clear idea of what is happening. They have put prices up, while I have lost 10% of my income due to currency changes. True sometimes I must have a burger (60bht for a very good burger and chips at the Hash House), and will sit as the only customer and eat it. Sometimes I want a really great ham and cheese baguette (Orchid bar in MoonMuang Soi 2) with chips for 80bht and again sit on my own to eat it.

Everyone I know is changing their habits to eat at venues which have held the same prices for the past 5 years selling mainly locally obtained food. Now, if I want a fried breakfast, bacon 89bht Tesco Lotus, mushrooms 20bht at local market, sliced bread 30bht, lasts all week at a cost of less that 30bht a meal. Previously it was Mad Dog/Hash House/Half Moon at 100bht+.

With the exchange rates the way they are western food should be 30% cheaper than 2 years ago, not 10% more expensive. Sorry but I just can't see many white business surviving current economic conditions.

Sorry, I have some bad news for you. I had the 20 year old last night. Now there are no virgins left at that bar.

Edited by Beetlejuice

I can thank of four so called cornerstone establishments off the top of my head that are up for sell. Coincidence?

If you can fit four cornerstone establishments on the top of your head, then all I can say is "well done".

I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'conerstone businesses', especially as regards to chiang Mai - businesses that have been here for more than a year, is that the rub of it? Probably nothing to do with coincidence either.

Why do you think they are for sale.

In your OP you mention both poor service and management. They of course go hand in hand.

There is an earlier post here (in another thread) about a sausage place closing and two customers leaving because they did not like/undrestand the breakfast menu. They say one of the owners was in attendance but that no convesation took place between them as to the reason for their departure. Why did they not ask the owner for clarification of the menu etc, and if the response was not to their liking why did they not offer feedback to the owner?

I am sure that businesses who have an open channel of feedback to management about the standards, problems, and general moderation of their perceived bad service have a better chance of improving their service, as in an open forum perhaps, than those who just ban or ignore their customers (no rif raf here I hear!)

Listen to your customers, let other customers know the subject is under discussion and feedback to all your customers and your business must improve. Putting your head in the sand or having a quiet word here and there does not work.

I wasn't going to bother airing this but since you brought the subject up...

I agree with you about the merits of feeding back to the management but (and this is addressed to all service business owners who may be following this particularly depressing thread) I am somewhat fed up with the casual way its sometimes regarded. Making a constructive observation, even if it's really a complaint, should be looked on as a huge favour to the management/owner especially in the circumstances prevailing here where cultural perceptions and communication difficulties mean things can go awry pretty easily. One case in point is a well regarded pizza place to which I took a couple of friends promising them a treat but which turned out to be embarrassingly bland and a serious let down. The owner wasn't around but a week or so later I drove out specifically to let him know. The feedback was taken in the spirit in which it was offered and I learned that the problem had been resolved by a change of staff. I'd have given a disappointed customer who bothered to come back and let me know about something that was about to sink his business a free something, a voucher, a discount or a meal for the guests who won't be coming back otherwise. It's not that I was looking for anything but I wasn't even offered a glass of water and it amazed (and depressed) me that the value of a customer who cared about his business was taken for granted. Impolite and thoughtless I guess I'm saying.

I've been back a couple of times since and was pleased to find that the pizza is back to its former glory. With that in mind I drove my wife and son out there the other evening. Only two tables occupied - one family eating and a couple who were ordering as we arrived. We ordered and got our drinks and waited.... and waited... and waited. After the couple who ordered about the same time we arrived were about half way through their meal and with my son getting increasingly fractious we asked how the food was doing. The waitress told us that the couple had got our order by mistake and that the choice was to accept their (Hawaiian - yuk) pizza or wait another 20 minutes for the pepperoni that we wanted. We'd invested about 35 minutes by then and were very hungry so reluctantly decided to stick it out and finally, 50 minutes after we arrived we get served.

Here's where I get fired up enough to bother to write this post. The owner must have known about the problem, left as he was with an orphan Hawiian pizza - he could have diffused this disaster and turned it round simply with an apology, a couple of cans of Coke on the house or a discount on the bill or even not charging for the pizza. As it was I thought about doing the complaint/feedback thing again but with the family on hand and the first experience to look back on I just thought if these people won't help themselves why should I worry? We won't be going back any time soon and is it likely I'll be recommending them again?

So, as this relates to the thread, the sad fact is that some of the businesses in town need to learn the basics of customer care and even more so in these difficult times. So may I suggest to those responsible for running any kind of business that depends on customers (that's almost all of them) - take civil and constructive feedback to heart and give it the value it deserves. Many companies employ expensive consultants to tell them why their business isn't going to plan so give the guy who's probably just paid for the privilege of sampling your wares some regard for doing it for free. Or maybe a slice on the house. ;)

• Like 1

Sorry, I have some bad news for you. I had the 20 year old last night. Now there are no virgins left at that bar.

Was She as well-hung as you unexpected ?

~o:37;

There were no dangly things and her name was Mary., although the deep voice, 6ft 2ins height and Adams apple were a bit suspect.

Was She as well-hung as you unexpected ?

~o:37;

There were no dangly things and her name was Mary., although the deep voice, 6ft 2ins height and Adams apple were a bit suspect.

Mary Mary quite contrary..

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Well, somebody in Thailand is making money.... http://www.businessw...orts-surge.html

Sorry I meant "overbought" - not oversold.

Yes I gathered that... I bought some PUT options on the SET a couple of weeks ago. IMO- only a matter of time until we have a reversal of this SET buying frenzy. If you do not know this puts pressure on the baht to become stronger, as it has. The baht has had a good run, time for a reversal would be most appreciative to all of us. Not just Stock market punters.

We are looking at 13 year HIGHs for the baht, time for a bounce. Would be great timing to have an extra 10-15% before HIGH Season, will do wonders for the local economy. We can all only hope...

I just took a quick look at Thai Visa Classified on business for sell in Chiang Mai. Counted over 40 bar/restaurants for sell.

Most of them at ridiculous prices, i bet. nearly all for sale 'cos they aint working, and all looking for a mug, straight off the plane.

Well these business owners in CMai must be hating this thread right now. As the mug's off the plane (As you state) are looking at this thread right now. Some fallen for the place or women or whatever and looking to setup shop.

Now this thread alone may make many rethink again.

From an investment perspective- Sell in Boom and Buy in Gloom mentality you may catch a bargain just at the right time.

Hey stranger things have happened- you buy a place that was worth 3 Mio 3 years ago for 1 Mio now. The baht weakens, tourists return (if you are in fact dependant on tourist for whatever business), political stability, etc and good sentiment returns to the land of Oz (Wizard of Oz that is- Lol).

Yer right:rolleyes: Now I am dreaming my stock portfolio is worth what is was back in 2007, now be lucky to be back there by 2017.

I just took a quick look at Thai Visa Classified on business for sell in Chiang Mai. Counted over 40 bar/restaurants for sell.

Most of them at ridiculous prices, i bet. nearly all for sale 'cos they aint working, and all looking for a mug, straight off the plane.

Hey stranger things have happened- you buy a place that was worth 3 Mio 3 years ago for 1 Mio now.

if thais can't sell a place for 3 million, three years later they want 5million.

I wouldn't put too much stock in ads, especially at outrageous prices. The day after my wife bought her house she put a For Sale sign up at double the price. After a couple of years she noticed people were willing to pay the price, so she took the sign down,

:D So typical.

I had my eye on a condo as an investment 2 years ago it was 2.3m, could not sell it, so price went up to 2.6m......well now its up to 2.8m :rolleyes:

Makes sense doesn't it :D

Well these business owners in CMai must be hating this thread right now. As the mug's off the plane (As you state) are looking at this thread right now. Some fallen for the place or women or whatever and looking to setup shop.

From an investment perspective- Sell in Boom and Buy in Gloom mentality you may catch a bargain just at the right time.

Hey stranger things have happened- you buy a place that was worth 3 Mio 3 years ago for 1 Mio now. The baht weakens, tourists return (if you are in fact dependant on tourist for whatever business), political stability, etc and good sentiment returns to the land of Oz (Wizard of Oz that is- Lol).

Yer right:rolleyes: Now I am dreaming my stock portfolio is worth what is was back in 2007, now be lucky to be back there by 2017.

I hope so!

If this thread or any others can help prevent more people making the grave mistake of buying into a dud business here, be it Farang or Thai......then that can only be a good thing.

As someone said earlier, the GOOD businesses are not for sale.

I hope so!

If this thread or any others can help prevent more people making the grave mistake of buying into a dud business here, be it Farang or Thai......then that can only be a good thing.

As someone said earlier, the GOOD businesses are not for sale.

, Tuskers is for sale

Edited by sbk
inflammatory bit removed